Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

986 to 987/997 Shifter Conversion

After hearing loads of good things about updating to a later model shifter on the 986, I decided to give it a try. I'm currently in process of finding a nice low mileage one a eBay.

I've got a 5 speed myself and I know the 6 speed works fine from multiple forum posts. I'd guess that a shifter off a 5 speed 987 would also work for my applications but haven't found any information verifying this (maybe I'm just searching for the wrong thing, I don't know).

The vendor on eBay wasn't sure either and my local mechanic said probably but he's not sure as he's never heard of someone doing that specific conversion.

Anyone have the expertise to know if this will work or someone else that's found out through trial and error. I may purchase one for science and let everyone know if there's not a resident expert that knows!

Thanks Much All!

WanderingWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #2

I used a 997, my understanding is the 986/996 shifters are the same, and the 987/997 are the same.

I love it. Not a super short shifter - just feels like it should have from the factory.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #3

I have a B+M in a 986 base for sale if you want something really short.....apparently this works really well on a 5-speed
Old 11-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #4

I just got a 9x7 shifter and also look forward soon to installation in my 2001 5-speed with 110k miles (and no doubt the original, worn out 9x6 shifter).

You can easily identify that it's the "right" 9x7 shifter by visual inspection - make sure the plastic part at the base of the shift rod is black (and it will have a steel plate screwed to the side). The version with white plastic at the base is the 9x6 style, (and I believe it may have been used on some 9x7 5-speeds... I don't have all the details there, but I would shy away from those.)

Also, don't overpay for a used shifter. You can get a brand new 9x7 shifter from a discount Porshce dealer for a hair over $200, FYI. You can get new joint fittings that go underneath the shifter from a discount Porsche dealer for about $30. (These are included with a new dealer-ordered shifter, but sometimes not an eBay shifter).

I found a neat video on blueprinting the factory shifter here:
http://youtu.be/iJv0wI72aRg

I found on my basically brand new 9x7 shifter, the .005" flat spacer was beneficial, but there was no need yet for the washer spacer. (Perhaps that will wear with miles).

I also found a new aftermarket Porsche shifter accessory that I'm curious if anyone's tried? It looks similar to the aluminum bushings in a 997.2 GT3 shifter:
https://phenixengineering.com/shop/porsche-997-gt3-style-billet-shift-bushing-kit/

The factory plastic bushings here (which the aluminum versions would replace) actually seem pretty solid. But then again, Porsche with the 997.2 GT3 shifter used similar aluminum bushings, so if there wasn't some sort of benefit, one would wonder why they went to the trouble?

One clear benefit to the aluminum bushings is the plastic bushings seem near impossible to remove without destroying in the process (with no known direct match replacements being available), whereas the aluminum versions would be reusable. (But I actually managed to install my .005" shim stock in the side "ball cage" assembly without taking the whole shifter apart, so am not sure if I will need or benefit from this product.)

Hope this helps - best of luck! PS - I plan on changing my trains fluid soon too. (No knowing if the stuff in my box is still original with 110k miles! I can say that my synchros seem to be working well when warmed up, but pretty poorly when cold).

Last edited by jakeru; 11-05-2015 at 06:21 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #5

Jaykay: How much are you looking for on that one? Is it grindy on cold? I'd heard the super short shifter can cause that while the 9x7 one will reduce it oddly.

The trans fluid was a must as soon as I bought it but it got a new tranny under warranty for second gear grind at 40k so it was fairly fresh.

Jakeru: I've actually driven a 986 with a GT3 shifter in it. Has a much more mechanical feel than the base 997 shifter. Throw is identical but it feels oddly like a rifle bolt if that makes sense.

I would honestly consider fitting those bushing on my 9x7 shifter when I get it. Thanks for the link! I think the feel is more than worth it at 65 bucks.

After a bit more research, I found the part number for the 987 5 speed shifter is the same as the 997 shifter 6 speed so we're golden there! There was a typo on the listing and it had this part number 99742401004 instead of this one 99742401000 (which was the number on the shifter itself when I went to look at them. One of the Porsche dismantlers is right here in ABQ!

My time off this winter is going to be booked between the 987 intake conversion, one set of cats being removed, and changing out the shifter.

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 11-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingWeasel View Post
Jakeru: I've actually driven a 986 with a GT3 shifter in it. Has a much more mechanical feel than the base 997 shifter. Throw is identical but it feels oddly like a rifle bolt if that makes sense.

I would honestly consider fitting those bushing on my 9x7 shifter when I get it. Thanks for the link! I think the feel is more than worth it at 65 bucks.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually took a closer look at the factory plastic bushings, and found that although they don't have "slop" in them or deflect under a very light amount force, they do indeed deflect a probably significant amount (looked like several thousandths of an inch), when placed under a heavier amount of radial force (when I was pressing with probably a few pounds pressure).

So, as long as the replacement aluminum bushing is machined to the right tight-fitting tolerances and is well-lubricated enough, I can indeed visualize them giving an improvement over the stock plastic bushings. I expect this could manifest as a more direct and less "springy" connection between shift knob and transmission.

The fact they are removeable and replaceable is a bonus, so I've also gone ahead and ordered a set. (I'll plan to install them in my 997 shifter before I install it in my 2001 5-speed boxcar.)

Last edited by jakeru; 11-07-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #7

Do update what you think of them once they're in as now (thanks for reminding me ) I'm thinking about buying one of the 997 GT3 shifters from Suncoast.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #8

I was thinking 200 as it like new and already installed. Cutting those plastic bushings was a pain.

No grinding but very notchy (to me) when cold on a six speed. Some like the B and M very much. It seems best on 5 speed. I personally didn't care for the feel of it.

The 9x7 will give better control resolution in my opinion. This is needed on the six speed. I currently have a 997 SSK and may sell that too.....may go to a GT3 instead or make one with the bushings I already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingWeasel View Post
Jaykay: How much are you looking for on that one? Is it grindy on cold? I'd heard the super short shifter can cause that while the 9x7 one will reduce it oddly.

The trans fluid was a must as soon as I bought it but it got a new tranny under warranty for second gear grind at 40k so it was fairly fresh.

After a bit more research, I found the part number for the 987 5 speed shifter is the same as the 997 shifter 6 speed so we're golden there! There was a typo on the listing and it had this part number 99742401004 instead of this one 99742401000 (which was the number on the shifter itself when I went to look at them. One of the Porsche dismantlers is right here in ABQ!

My time off this winter is going to be booked between the 987 intake conversion, one set of cats being removed, and changing out the shifter.

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is a pic of the 997 shifter in my Boxster; its not a true "short shifter" but it has about 25% less travel than the 986 shifter. I have also replaced the cables, this made a HUGE difference. The shifting is now like a precision instrument and I have no problem popping off very quick shifts during a race.

The carbon fiber shift knob also adds 15hp.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-08-2015 at 06:48 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #10

thstone - does that shifter have a Porsche part number in it? Honestly, its white plastic cross-pivot piece (shown circled, in attached picture) looks like what I would expect to find on a factory 9x6 shifter.

I believe the black plastic cross-pivot piece (found, for example, in the 9x7 shifter part number 997.424.010.00) raises the primary pivot point for determining front-back travel by a few millimeters compared to this white piece.
Attached Images

Last edited by jakeru; 11-08-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
thstone - does that shifter have a Porsche part number in it?
There is a chance that I got my photos mixed up and that the shifter in my earlier post is the 986 shifter and not the 997.

The shifter in the car now is definitely PN 997.424.010.00 (I just went out and took this photo).

If I mixed up the photos, sorry for the error and great catch!!!

997 shifter prior to installation:

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-08-2015 at 04:09 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

986forum member ,Ben006 has an interesting thread on this subject:
Ball bearing short shifter !
He also has a much cheaper and just as effective shifter .
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
There is a chance that I got my photos mixed up and that the shifter in my earlier post is the 986 shifter and not the 997.

The shifter in the car now is definitely PN 997.424.010.00 (I just went out and took this photo).

If I mixed up the photos, sorry for the error and great catch!!!

997 shifter prior to installation:

So, just to be clear... the 997 shifter is installed on your 5-speed SpecBoxster? I like this idea very much for mine.

ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote