View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
jakeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingWeasel View Post
Jakeru: I've actually driven a 986 with a GT3 shifter in it. Has a much more mechanical feel than the base 997 shifter. Throw is identical but it feels oddly like a rifle bolt if that makes sense.

I would honestly consider fitting those bushing on my 9x7 shifter when I get it. Thanks for the link! I think the feel is more than worth it at 65 bucks.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually took a closer look at the factory plastic bushings, and found that although they don't have "slop" in them or deflect under a very light amount force, they do indeed deflect a probably significant amount (looked like several thousandths of an inch), when placed under a heavier amount of radial force (when I was pressing with probably a few pounds pressure).

So, as long as the replacement aluminum bushing is machined to the right tight-fitting tolerances and is well-lubricated enough, I can indeed visualize them giving an improvement over the stock plastic bushings. I expect this could manifest as a more direct and less "springy" connection between shift knob and transmission.

The fact they are removeable and replaceable is a bonus, so I've also gone ahead and ordered a set. (I'll plan to install them in my 997 shifter before I install it in my 2001 5-speed boxcar.)

Last edited by jakeru; 11-07-2015 at 12:06 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote