Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #21

Some places have a holding tank for you to dump your container into, I doubt he's going to all that trouble to dump it on the ground............

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #22
On the slippery slope

Garage
Well here in California, where we actually care about the environment, most oil change places and auto parts store have free oil recycling dump stations
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
The 16QT one i'm talking about has the vent cap on the top if it's standing on end. Check the pic in the first link I posted. (the walmart link).
Yup, that's the one I have. With 15 qts. of oil in it (from my diesel truck, not the Boxster), you don't want to stand it up when the vent cap won't stay closed, unless you don't plan to move it at all. And when you take it to the recycling location, the sloshing oil becomes a black geyser!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Yup, that's the one I have. With 15 qts. of oil in it (from my diesel truck, not the Boxster), you don't want to stand it up when the vent cap won't stay closed, unless you don't plan to move it at all. And when you take it to the recycling location, the sloshing oil becomes a black geyser!
I have one of those oil containers that is easier to transport. I pour out of the drain container into that and it enables me to go longer between trips to advance auto parts to recycle. You could pour some into one of those if you're storing.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #25
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:

Ok I get what you are saying. Thankfully the car uses less oil then your truck. I just pour the oil out of the pan back into the jugs after i'm done. So hopefully the vent won't be an issue since I won't be using it for transport.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #26

I just started an.oil change with the 16 qt square version. The oil drained into the pan fast enough. Maybe because so much sprayed out the sides, it came down and redirected back up by the little fins, probably a quart of oil sprayed outside the boundary of the pan. I will have to try the trick with the pvc pipe because this sucked... Easily the biggest mess I have made in years
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #27
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Oh great I'm sure my wife will appreciate the mess I will probably make.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I just started an.oil change with the 16 qt square version. The oil drained into the pan fast enough. Maybe because so much sprayed out the sides, it came down and redirected back up by the little fins, probably a quart of oil sprayed outside the boundary of the pan. I will have to try the trick with the pvc pipe because this sucked... Easily the biggest mess I have made in years
Damn. I just bought the 16 version. Guess I should've kept the receipt.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #29

Garage
Because of the volume and especially the rate that the hot oil comes out, I was very concerned of the potential for overflow, especially if you dropped the plug accidentally and restricted the small drain holes in the catch pans. I decided to go with the open top attached from AutoZone. It works very well, even for coolant. Just pour into recycling containers and wipe out.

FloTool/Oil drain 11845 - Read 2 Reviews on FloTool #11845
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Because of the volume and especially the rate that the hot oil comes out, I was very concerned of the potential for overflow, especially if you dropped the plug accidentally and restricted the small drain holes in the catch pans. I decided to go with the open top attached from AutoZone. It works very well, even for coolant. Just pour into recycling containers and wipe out.

This looks like the ticket, if I can find the receipt I am cleaning up my 16 qt square one and returning it, and getting this round one that is linked here.

Has a good spout to.pour back in the bottles for recycling

Has a "reverse" lip around the top so that oil that is moving fast when it hits the edge will get trapped.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #31
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
If we can't keep the oil in the pan you just linked.....then we better start paying someone to do our oil changes lol.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:22 AM   #32

Quote:

Exactly ! I've been using a similar pan for decades. I hate those pan/container combos, just pour it into your container of choice, and there's no need to "wipe dry" the top. The pan I use has a lid, so I just store it in a cabinet "wet", no need to wipe it out.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
Exactly ! I've been using a similar pan for decades. I hate those pan/container combos, just pour it into your container of choice, and there's no need to "wipe dry" the top. The pan I use has a lid, so I just store it in a cabinet "wet", no need to wipe it out.
I like to start with a perfectly clean pan. Once I pour the old oil out I can then inspect the bottom of pan, something that can't be done using the container type pans. Any debris on bottom can then be noted as part of my UOA and filter inspection.

Last edited by 911monty; 11-14-2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added words
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #34
On the slippery slope

Garage
I use a 10 qt pan from Wally world. It had a 8" diameter lid on the top with a removable screen for the oil to drain into. I put it in one of those clear plastic containers for general storage with ~ 6" sides in case of an overflow, etc. The drain cap on the pan may leak a little, a few drips, but since it sits in a container, not an issue

I have not had a problem with getting oil all over the floor or spillage.

Since the M96 holds ~ 9 quarts, 10 quart is fine. . I take the container with the oil pan to a local quick change place that does oil recycling for a free dump. They also take old coolant as well
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #35

That's odd. I've used my square 16 qt. FloTool container twice now, once for my diesel truck and once for my Boxster. I didn't have any oil splashing out around the sides! They sent me replacement vent caps, and so far the one I installed hasn't popped open.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:27 AM   #36

Garage
I usually keep my oil pan full. It usually stays that way until I decide to do the next oil change and then I grab the pan and realize, oh crap, I never dumped it from the last time. Then I promise myself, I will get rid of it quickly this time and then next year, oh crap!
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:38 AM   #37

Quote:
I like to start with a perfectly clean pan. Once I pour the old oil out I can then inspect the bottom of pan, something that can't be done using the container type pans. Any debris on bottom can then be noted as part of my UOA and filter inspection.
+ 1 this way you can see if something was on the oil
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #38

Quote:
That's odd. I've used my square 16 qt. FloTool container twice now, once for my diesel truck and once for my Boxster. I didn't have any oil splashing out around the sides! They sent me replacement vent caps, and so far the one I installed hasn't popped open.
I must have had it just in the wrong position. Once the oil started deflecting back up and out I tried sliding it around to different positions and I finally found one that limited the spray. of course by then the oil flow from the car may have just diminished. Fun times
Old 11-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #39

This is what I use. I took some spare bulkhead fittings and a valve to make this deep drain pan from a square cat litter container that Publix sells.

After I drain all the oil into it, I place it up on a couple of tires, and let gravity drain the oil through a strainer as it goes into my final disposal jug that I carry off to the local quick lube to dump.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #40
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well I used the new square 16qt pan the other day. I made a small mess while moving it around trying to make a mess. I found as long as the oil is falling close to the hole it works great. I did cut out some plastic to make the hole a little bigger. As for pouring the old oil back into the jugs, it worked better than every other pan I have tried. I think I am happy with it.