Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2015, 01:40 AM   #1

Hi - Another New Member

Hi All

First thanks for having a great community.

A bit of a Story around myself..I have been around nice cars for around the last 10 years and have owned a few nice ones such as a Gallardo,R35 and a few Audi R8's but never a Porsche.

So about 2 months ago on a winters day but with the sun shining I thought what a beautiful day and it would have been perfect to jump in a Convertible at that moment...and so the wheels started turning.

So over the past 2 months I have been looking at Multiple Boxster's and Boxster S models but they all had something that was not quite right in ownership,mechanical shape or wear and tear etc.

I was after a low kmh car but one that had been driven regularly along with 1 owner preferred and a full service history.

Colour or trim was not a huge factor as I just wanted a very clean,well cared and driven car and one that was definitely a Manual as all fun cars have been.

So was looking for weeks and found a nice looking 2003 Boxster S online in another city and was flying the next day to take a look with cash in a suitcase ready to drive it back if it was a good one.

So here the story takes a bit of a turn as the night before I flew out I came across this Z4 as well and to be honest had a bit of a fail moment and thought I had go see this.

So flew down the next day and drove the Boxster S and it felt a bit tired and then I went to see the Z4(manual of course) and just put the money on the table like that and drove it home 1200 miles over 2 days.

Got home on the Sunday and felt pleased as it drove nice and then the next day I opened up the garage door and thought ...no not me.

Drove nice,very low miles as well..but the engine was in the wrong place(at the front)

So immediately posted it Online at the price I bought it for.

2 days later 2 guys turned up at the same time and one took me outside the garage whilst the other guy kept looking and offered me $2000 above asking price.

One of the rare times I actually made good money on a car...quite amazing.

Turned out since he was a child his dream car was a Z4..so it was fantastic to sell him such a nice example.

So I went back straight back to Porsche hunting same week and found the one below that had just come up for sale as a urgency and quite a lot lower than is the going sell price here.

Its was a 2003 MY 03 Boxster Manual that had only 29,000miles,full service history and one owner and driven next to every weekend.

When not being driven it was always locked up in a garage with a car cover protecting it from dust since new.

Roof was immaculate like the rest of the car.

A few options including the on board computer,cruise control and a few other things are nice additions from the factory.

Drove like new(really)and everything checked out so the deal was done expect for the long drive ahead again.

Car drove beautifully except for the standard Stereo system that was so bad we reverted half way on the long trip home to playing music on our Iphone 6 Speaker.

Already booked in for a double din audio upgrade,speakers and amp etc

Pushed it very hard a couple of times through some twisty bits on the drive home and let me tell those that maybe think or aspire to maybe something better and bigger..this thing has a great fun factor and in its own way fills a serious fun drive perfectly.

Here is some pics taken on my Iphone in the seller garage and one on the drive home.

Thanks for any welcomes and apologies for the somewhat long introduction and I hope I can bring some benefit,constructive comment and passion for my new 986 to this forum.

Untitled by r8gazza, on Flickr

Last edited by R8 Pilot; 09-25-2015 at 07:55 AM.
R8 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:10 AM   #2

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. Nice car! Driving impressions between the two?
JRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:59 AM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Welcome to the forum. Car looks great! I'm just back from the track (DE days) where there was a wholw whack of GT3s and high-end P cars. Know what? I still love my old 986! ��
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRide View Post
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. Nice car! Driving impressions between the two?
Cheers..if you were talking about the Boxster vs the Z4 they are different cars in personality.

The Z4 I had performed nice and the engine and transmission were super smooth but here's the thing..when you pushed it it gave back some nice rewards but nothing like the level that the Porsche gives back.

The Boxster engine has a magic note in the high rev range that the BMW cannot match and the mid engine set up is nicer for me.

Best sum up would be the BMW is a nice Sports Luxury Convertible and the Porsche is the Drivers convertible.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Welcome to the forum. Car looks great! I'm just back from the track (DE days) where there was a wholw whack of GT3s and high-end P cars. Know what? I still love my old 986! ��
So my 986 has the Audi R8 V10 sitting next to it.

But I have as much fun in the classic 986..so its a win for me as well

Great handling and love the screaming 6.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:48 AM   #6

Garage
Welcome! Your Boxster looks outstanding, and congratulations on the profitable sale of the z4!

I am interest in driving impressions as well, but not in terms of the boxster and z4.

How does the gallardo compare to the r8, to my knowledge they are very similar with the same drivetrain and awd system. I could be wrong.

What driving dynamics are different, or is it just badge engineering for a subtle German car and a bonkers Italian car?
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Nice looking car and WELCOME mate
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Welcome! Your Boxster looks outstanding, and congratulations on the profitable sale of the z4!

I am interest in driving impressions as well, but not in terms of the boxster and z4.

How does the gallardo compare to the r8, to my knowledge they are very similar with the same drivetrain and awd system. I could be wrong.

What driving dynamics are different, or is it just badge engineering for a subtle German car and a bonkers Italian car?
Cheers for the question...so this was back in 2008 and they were totally different cars as I had the Superleggera and the R8 when they first came out.

The R8 was so smooth and adsorbed the bumps and the just felt so much smoother through every aspect of the car.

Handling wise the R8 gave more confidence to push as the Lambo was a bit on the wild side and had heaps of rattles with its all Carbon Interior and screamed.

Power wise it was no context as my first R8 only came with a V8.

If I compare my current V10 R8 to the Lambo..wells the R8 is now faster fas its had some mods which pushes it up to close to 600hp.

Similar to the previous one the handling is confidence inspiring and allows you to push closer to the edge than I dared with the Lambo.

Best summary I can give is that the Lambo is wilder,rougher,more uncomfortable but definitely has a real mojo and I have arrived quality that the R8 just misses out on.

The R8 is a better all round car to own..but the Lambo is the thrill ticket by far.

As a side comment I had a Nissan R35 for 14 months in 2011..and I have never driven a car that is so fast and inspires so much confidence to push harder and makes you feel that you are such a good driver.

Here's a pic in the garage of the Lambo on its own and together on the first day I picked up the R8 in 2008.

Lovin the 986 as much though.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/gazzar8/EUROPE20093RDTRIP2242-1.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/gazzar8/EUROPE20093RDTRIP2187.jpg
Old 09-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Welcome and congrat's!

That has to be the shiniest car that I have ever seen!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Welcome and congrat's!

That has to be the shiniest car that I have ever seen!
'

I think it is maybe because the owner has had a car cover on it since brand new when not driven.

I know he used Autoglym as the polish over the 11 years.

The previous owner could be kindly described as retentive to detail and the paint described as showroom.