Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
1998 Boxster

Coolant reservoir..."new old stock"

I just purchased a coolant reservoir for my '98 Boxster. I purchased a Porsche model with the most updated number of 99610614708. The tank arrived in a plastic bag with a paper label indicating that part number. What has me puzzled...suspicious, is that the part itself is embossed with a different part number: 99610604710. This number is almost the same as the number that is on the original part that I have removed. The original tank has the number 99610604704. While I am convinced that the part sent to me is a Porsche factory product, I don't think that it is current. I have heard that there have been many updates on this part over the years. When I google the part number imprinted on the new tank, the only results I get are for used, second hand tanks. And, the number does not produce any results when I search it at any of the Porsche suppliers that I have checked with. Does anybody have an idea of what is going on here? Is it normal to get a part wearing a different number than the part number that it was sold under?

rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

From the best that I could find, it seems that 99610614708 is the most recent PN. Previous PN's were 99610604704 and 99610604710.

So, it seems that you may have very well received an NOS part that has been superseded by a newer PN. Are you sure that its a new (and not used)?

The different PN's are interchangeable, however I couldn't find a description of the exact changes associated with each PN.

Typically, a buyer should receive the PN that was ordered. Its more common to receive the updated (or newer) PN rather than the older version.

Where did you buy it from?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-05-2015 at 01:17 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:34 AM   #3
1998 Boxster

Yes, this is definitely a new tank. It came from Vertex Auto. It seems to me that the number on the product should match the part number on the package.

rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

There are cheap tanks on Ebay . They DO NOT have the imprinted words "GEIGET technik" ,nor the Geiger logo. See photo in Post #3.
There can be many obscure but potentially expensive defects with the cheap tanks or reservoirs.
Coolant Tank -lots of problems & a FIX
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:30 AM   #5

Garage
I ended up purchasing a replacement one from China actually for fraction of the price and had it installed 5 years ago now and still going strong (knock on knock-off wood). I couldn't believe what the dealer was asking (approx. $1800 part/labour)... ended up paying like $400-500 total at local shop with part.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

Glad the "Wood Knocking" worked for you Dr C.
But I bet you did not check that the nipples actually connected correctly? One little piece of soft wire is all you need to be sure....To be fair -why would anyone think such a test was necessary?
See link in post #4 above for the gory details.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #7

I got the privilege of doing that repair twice since I bought an off-branded tank the first time. I swapped it for a genuine OE tank and everything has been fine since. The folks I bought it from no longer carry anything but the embossed/Porsche part number tank. I think since you've got the embossed part numbers and manufacturer name on the tank, you'll be ok. The one I installed that had problems had nothing in that space. It also seemed to be made of a less transparent plastic than either my original or the genuine OE tank. It was very hard to see fluid level for the short time it attempted to hold fluid in the car.
EJ_2001_986_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #8

There are several upgrade(?) part numbers for this Coolant Tank. Just check to see which one is used.If the part number is not molded into the flange,it is a knock-off.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #9

Garage
EJ - Curious as to how long your non-brand last after you installed it?