Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 AM   #21
Luckyed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The one I was trying to remember was the XR2, Mercury Capri XR2. Turns out it was front engine & FWD, so not in the category.
Actually, although still not in this category because it was a front engine car, I think he was referring to the Ford EXP and Mercury LN7 (I owned the latter....It handled great but was a POS)

Forgotten Mercury Of The Day: 1982 LN7

Old 07-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #22

I have owned most every mid engine car on the market in the last 50 years. Everything from Porsche 914 and 550 Spyder, to Pantera, to Fiat X1/9, to Lotus Europa, to most every year Fiero. I just love mid engined handling. The Fiero started out as a cheap car that was assembled from the spare parts bin but was finally redesigned for a final time for the 1988 model and with the help of GM's new company, Lotus they addressed most every problem including the suspension and then they quit making it halfway through the year. Loved the 11 914's I have owned over the years and they got better with every year and by the time they quit making it in 1976 it was a pretty nice car. The 550 Spyder was a total blast to drive, 1100 lbs made for great power to weight ratio but you either cooked or froze in the car with no roof/windows or vent/heat. The Lotus Europa was great but fragile as it only weighted 1500 lbs. Loved the Pantera but that was back in the day and it was a pain to deal with the overheating problem and then there was the Italian build quality and wiring issues. I feel that the Boxster is a modern itineration of the 914 and 550 Spyder and great value for the money plus all of the modern niceties like A/C, cruise control, and all the other power goodies.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #23

I wouldn't own the Boxster(s) that I've owned if it wasn't for the pure enjoyment of my 1975 x 1/9 that I purchased in 1977 out of high school, or the 1976 x 1/9 I drove through the last three years of college.

I also purchased a slightly used 1985 MR2 (2,000 miles on ODO) in early 1986 after waiting unsucessful, for the New MR2 I'd ordered to be delivered.

I still look at old X1/9's Spiders etc.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote