Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Bob would you tell us what that procedure costs please.
I have a Tiptronic so it was easier to pull the whole motor and trans. I had my Indy mechanic do everything he could while it was out to make the car more reliable. My car is a 1997 with only 40K miles on it but it is 18 years old. I had him replace the IMSB with the EPS solution, which was not too much money for the kit. He is the one who suggested the EPS. He is from Germany and is factory trained and worked for Brumos Porsche for 26 years as their lead mechanic and had his hands in every engine that went out of their dealership, including their race cars. I had researched most every option available for the IMS and the EPS solution seemed the best. I also had him replace the water pump (starting to get play in it), the front motor mount, plugs and plug tubes, air/oil separator (a known problem part that will suck oil thru your engine if it goes bad), fuel and air filter, every rubber hose in the engine compartment. I spent about $2200 on the whole thing but have put over 5k miles on it since then. I run it hard and have had no problems.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

I hope all these adventurous folks who are trying out the roller bearing IMSB will keep reporting progress like Bob is. All the hot air on IMSB is irrelevant compared to long term performance.
Thanks for the data point Bob.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRickel View Post
I have a Tiptronic so it was easier to pull the whole motor and trans. I had my Indy mechanic do everything he could while it was out to make the car more reliable. My car is a 1997 with only 40K miles on it but it is 18 years old. I had him replace the IMSB with the EPS solution, which was not too much money for the kit. He is the one who suggested the EPS. He is from Germany and is factory trained and worked for Brumos Porsche for 26 years as their lead mechanic and had his hands in every engine that went out of their dealership, including their race cars. I had researched most every option available for the IMS and the EPS solution seemed the best. I also had him replace the water pump (starting to get play in it), the front motor mount, plugs and plug tubes, air/oil separator (a known problem part that will suck oil thru your engine if it goes bad), fuel and air filter, every rubber hose in the engine compartment. I spent about $2200 on the whole thing but have put over 5k miles on it since then. I run it hard and have had no problems.
Damn! I would drive my car down to Florida for that price. I too have a Tip trans and like you said the motor and trans are pulled at the same time. I was quoted $4,000 just for an IMSB Solution at a Porsche specialty shop here in KC.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Wow! That does seem like a nice deal. Was your old motor mount bad? And since you replaced all of the rubber tubing, does it seem any more smooth? I've been thinking about doing my hoses because of old age.
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboxs View Post
Wow! That does seem like a nice deal. Was your old motor mount bad? And since you replaced all of the rubber tubing, does it seem any more smooth? I've been thinking about doing my hoses because of old age.
We did find a number of rubber tubes that were just short of cracking and she is running fine but the majority of what we changed rubber wise were all of the coolant lines. We used all factory Porsche parts, some of which I purchased ahead of the work that was done so that helped contribute to the lower cost. My local dealer sells me my parts for 10% over cost which saved a whole lot on what the job cost me. I used almost all factory Porsche parts including the front motor mount that was totally shot. The only non factory part I used was the water pump. If anyone is interested in talking with my indy mechanic PM me and I will be glad to hook you up.

Last edited by BobRickel; 04-24-2015 at 06:24 PM.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:54 AM   #6

Garage
I have to say I'm stunned that you have a Porsche trained mechanic that did all that work for only $2200. I also have a Tip and over three years ago paid $1,800 to have the LN IMS replacement and updated RMS installed and that was a bargain price back then. Your mechanic needs to franchise and open shops nationally at those prices he would have a huge following.
Quote:
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote