Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

Tiptronic paddle shift

Hello, i am looking for an aftermarket steering wheel for my 97 986. Don't need any controls for radio/phone etc. Would just like a paddle shift steering wheel. Does anyone know of a plug and play solution?
Or, anyone in the GTA that could install?
Also looking for advice on a where and what to buy.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
It's been done.

996 Tiptronic Paddle Shift Steering Wheel - PistonHeads

I actually like the tip the way it is. Just a bump up or down with the lower part of my palm.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Here you go, if you can stomach the price.

Raid - Carnewal - Porsche parts and accesories
Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #4

Garage
I believe Nine8Six's Boxster is equipped with paddle shifters.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
I believe Nine8Six's Boxster is equipped with paddle shifters.
He does. I asked about it and he gave me the name and I looked it up.

His car.

They look cool, but I really like where the buttons are on the factory wheel. Right at the inside of your palm, right where you should have your hands on the wheel. I can blip the gears with little hand movement.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-28-2015 at 04:08 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #6

3 options
dct paddle shifter wheel....you'll need to reuse oem 3 spoke airbag
raid paddle shifter....carnewal carries them...inludeds airbag
theracersgroup system you end up loosing airbag but canget a cool aftermarket wheel in any size with carbon fibershifters.
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
3 options
dct paddle shifter wheel....you'll need to reuse oem 3 spoke airbag
raid paddle shifter....carnewal carries them...inludeds airbag
theracersgroup system you end up loosing airbag but canget a cool aftermarket wheel in any size with carbon fibershifters.
I don't see DCT offering any flappy paddle type steering wheels?

DCT MOTOR SPORTS www.dctms.com Porsche carbon alcantara leather sport steering wheels
Old 04-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #8

It's called T96 paddle shift. It's a thicker wheel with flat bottom...price has gone up and quite pricey
Best looking "OEM like" paddle shifter....but my favorite is the tunersgroup
Old 04-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #9

Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
It's called T96 paddle shift. It's a thicker wheel with flat bottom...price has gone up and quite pricey
Best looking "OEM like" paddle shifter....but my favorite is the tunersgroup
Have you been to their site lately? You can not select the T96 option on their website.

Porsche carbon alcantara sport leather steering wheels 996 997 986 987 955 Turbo S carrera
Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Have you been to their site lately? You can not select the T96 option on their website.

Porsche carbon alcantara sport leather steering wheels 996 997 986 987 955 Turbo S carrera
yea...you can't really go by their website.
Just contact Evan @dctms
they still make em
Old 05-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

I'll do a Fliptronic retrofit kit for you Tiptronic boyz. Thinking of it, I could do with one of those as well... mine are silly small. I'd trade my wheel for a 3 spoke regular OEM wheel with some a-la Ferrari style paddles any day in all honesty. Longer, fixed to the column i.e you don't lose them

3D machining tool paths! I'll try to get the kit out for <$200. Anodized aluminum, "+" and "-" engraved in the paddles. Needs a pivot, spring, a mini type Omron limit switch, and a mounting bracket that fits the 986 steering column. Not rocket science.

Stay tuned! and thanks for showing interest. This forum gives out good ideas lolll
Old 05-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #13

Anyone who has a spare steering wheel, let me know and I'll grab it off you for R&D.

Documented and upcoming in the DYI section lolllll For Porsche only - fits 986 and 996. Keeping the theme as usual; unbeatable special member pricing

^ Just for fun, sketched that in less than 5 min really... but I'm still very serious about the "Looking for steering wheel for R&D"

Let me know
Old 05-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #14

Just a couple things.....looks like you're trying to mount on the steering column like the Ferraris and lambos...only thing is our steering column has top/bottom piece that come together...where are you going to mount the paddles? Especially with the facotry stalks in the way. I guess you can use an extension but the paddles will follow the steering wheels then.

If would be awesome if you made a quicker reacting paddle wiring/sensor system. The factory control units, when you hit the up or down shift, has that electrical delay. You up/down shift command and it takes a second before actual mechanical shift happens. The one aftermarket one uses it's own connectors on the paddles. Once you hit the paddle, the electronics is almost instant...commanding the mechanical up/downshift quicker than factory unit. Actual mechanical shift is the same...the delay between shift command and actual shift is shortened.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #15

Yea saw that top/bottom part in the P Tech drawing sheet just now

Initial step will be to solid model the complete assembly of the 986 column with accessories. Needs to include everything e.g. top/bottom housing, stalks, shaft, even the complete steering wheel. Once we got that solid model, we'll all contribute as to where/how is best to mount the paddle shift kit together (community power!)

R&D - once you have this replica solid model to tight tolerance, it's pretty elementary to integrate other features and make it in a whole newly designed assembly. I have access to high speed injection molding machine "if" we ever need to mold another housing bottom so I am not too worried.

Yes, will require +/-80mm long extension on both sides... but give those, and the paddles, a nice and fancy 'organic 3d surface/shape' and very possibly it will be far better looking than the Ferrari and Lambo shift kits themselves!

Sent out a note around to the Pcar fans locally to see f there is a Tip wheel available for grab/cheap. Wish me luck

It's an open circuit (+ & -). Once you close it... it simply shift. No delay. I've soldered mine myself when I got that flippy wheel a 4-5 years ago. I actually got that wheel right out of the factory.... I was possibly one of the first to hook it up on the 986 loll I can see where they manufacture those from my roof top here - on a sunny day of course

You in?!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-01-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #16

I already have the 2 wheels posted above but I'm always looking for something better/different. As long as this product delivers and is different I'm in
Old 05-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #17

Different = nope.

Better... now that we'll see. Simplicity rules mate
Old 05-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #18

wow... with a bit of passionate google-ling it appears that some have already had similar paddling dreams lollll

We'll see... just in an idea format for now. Needs R&D for sure but I already knew it was very doable for the 986 (read, easy!). And fun.... how can we forget that

Old 05-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #19

that's the tuners group wheel....2nd picture I posted.
behind the paddles sits the electronics and the paddles move along with the wheel
Old 09-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #20

Resurrecting this. I've read up on all the wheel mounted threads and I like it. But a column mounted DIY would be really stellar. Not a whole lot to read on a column mounted set up. Did this conclude somewhere else or just die off. Any write ups or advise would be greatly appreciated!

DTW986 is offline   Reply With Quote