Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 05:51 AM   #1

PPI says the top's "tension straps" not tight, how much to ask to knock off price?

Have no idea what repair cost would be and the upholstery shops are closed for the weekend.

He says it affects how snug/tight the top closes on the car.

new2bxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:25 AM   #2

My estimate would be 4-6 hrs to repair.

Porsche uses strings to keep the top taught and sliding inside the bow and uses a wimpy cloth band to hold the strings in place. The band loses its shape and lets the string loosen the taughtness of the top, which allows it to slip over the outside of the bow. Pretty rinky-dinky system. If you raise the top around 10", you'll find a velcro strap inside the interior in the area of the bow. You can undo the strap and see the string / band setup. According to the Service Mgr I talked to, you can loosen the string with a screw further back on the top and tighten the string. That area looked a bit to cramped for me to deal with, so I tried tightening the band. My attempt lasted about a week and then it went back to slipping over the bow.

I didn't ask him how much it would cost since I thought I could conquer it myself.

Be sure to look at the seams of the top. Leaving it with the top over the bow can really stretch the top and stress the seams.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #3

That's a 5 min fix, I did mine.

Email me for info if you wish.
Boxstervr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
There is a great write up on the boxster register ( PCA forum)
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

If the top has the cable's falling outside of the trim piece

like in the photo posted, there is a chance that the tension springs at the base of the top above the door are flipped especially if the top has been replaced and someone put them on backwards. I put a new top on my car a few years ago and could not figure why the straps kept falling outside the window frame when I was raising the top. I tried everything possible with the straps before someone told me that the (leaf) springs could be backwards. They took about 5 minutes to turn around and low and behold it worked like a champ from there on out. If the top has been raised with the cable's outside the frame there is certainly the chance that the cables could be stretched.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
like in the photo posted, there is a chance that the tension springs at the base of the top above the door are flipped especially if the top has been replaced and someone put them on backwards. I put a new top on my car a few years ago and could not figure why the straps kept falling outside the window frame when I was raising the top. I tried everything possible with the straps before someone told me that the (leaf) springs could be backwards. They took about 5 minutes to turn around and low and behold it worked like a champ from there on out. If the top has been raised with the cable's outside the frame there is certainly the chance that the cables could be stretched.
Probably not, this is a well-known 987 issue of weak, poorly designed elastic straps.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Just wondering if that was the only thing found on the PPI?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #8

This is what it looks like. Very similar to Husker's pic. You can see how the top is going over the window seal thingy (partially) rather than under it.

new2bxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #9

I would at least verify the leaf/tension springs are correctly oriented

before I spent a lot of cash having the top troubleshooted and/or repaired. Mine did the same thing when I had the parts on backwards...it's common issue if the top has been replaced or worked on at one time...5 min repair and all was well. I am assuming this is a 986 and that is an 03/04 factory top so maybe it is different. I am not saying the cables are not stretched but it might be something simpler and cheaper and is worth looking at.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #10

Garage
I had the exact same situation, and I don't think the spring is reversed, basically it looses its tension in that position after so many years and can be turned around.
The following link has a great explanation and step by step. It worked great for me.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote