Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

Thread locker equivalent

As I unbolted my axle from the transmission this week I noticed the same Blue/Green or Cyan colored thread locker Porsche uses on bolts throughout the car...does anyone know the Locktite equivalent ?

I noticed the factory specs for those bolts is 60 ft pounds....it sure took a lot more than that to get them out....but I sure do not want them backing out on me

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:45 AM   #2

I am far from an expert but I would use Loctite 242 which is blue in color and semi-permanent meaning it is designed to be removed.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #3

Garage
+1 on the 242 Blue
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:45 AM   #4

Garage
Some what easier to use is Permatex 09978 a gel stays where you put it no drips.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #5

The loctite also comes in a big tube like a giant chapstick, very easy to apply and also stays where you put it. I got that and also an anti-seize tube as well. Less messy.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
As I unbolted my axle from the transmission this week I noticed the same Blue/Green or Cyan colored thread locker Porsche uses on bolts throughout the car...does anyone know the Locktite equivalent ?

I noticed the factory specs for those bolts is 60 ft pounds....it sure took a lot more than that to get them out....but I sure do not want them backing out on me
Breaking torque is higher than running torque because static friction is higher than dynamic friction. There may have been corrosion contributing to a higher breaking torque as well.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #7

Thanks

Blue is always my go to for firearms and Medical equipment I maintain...so I will stick with that......I know Green is some serious permanente stuff.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post

I've got both a 986 and a 987, and there are very few places the factory uses thread lock. I have not seen any thread lock on the axle bolts for either of my cars, or on the replacement bolts purchased from Porsche. Are you sure you aren't confusing the anti-corrosion coating of the bolts with thread lock?

Having said that, if you want to add thread lock I would not use anything stronger than blue.

As a followup, here is an example of the axle bolt sold by pelican for a 987 http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1087/POR_1087_SUSAXL_pg1.htm#item0
Note that the entire fastener has a greenish tint to it. Also note that the item description does not mention any thread lock.

Here is an example of a bolt with micro-encapsulated locker on it: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1042/POR_1042_ENGCAM_pg3.htm#item6
note that the material is deposited only on a portion of the threads and is typically a contrasting color to the rest of the fastener.

My links didn't work very well. First example is the 'axle joint bolt' that is OEM equivalent. Second item is Porsche 'bolt for intermediate shaft flange'.

Last edited by spendy; 02-14-2015 at 08:34 AM.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #9

Thanks Spendy

THis is exactly what I am seeing on the inner bolts of the half axle ....of course I am not the original owner.....so all I have to go on is what I find when I take it apart. Many of the fasteners we use at work have the same pre coated locker on them so I am used to looking ta it.....and Blue is removable without heat so it cannot hurt.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Breaking torque is higher than running torque because static friction is higher than dynamic friction. There may have been corrosion contributing to a higher breaking torque as well.
And the thread locker doing it's job.

Loctite is my go-to stuff, but I also rarely use thread locker *shrug*
Dzl210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #11

Garage
Porsche recommends replacing the bolts every time also. They are 10.9 grade so I just replace every other time with blue loctite every time. Don't forget to clean the grease out of the threads & the half-shafts where the bolts pass thru.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #12

BYD - great advice thanks.
To expand - he means "chase" the threads in blind holes. But you don't have a thread chaser? But you can make one if you sacrifice one of the old bolts or use a lower grade bolt with the same thread pitch/diam. Make 2 or 3 spiral cuts along the length of the thread of the chaser-bolt. Dip it in solvent and ease it down the threads.Remove frequently to add more solvent to the chaser. Dry with compressed air or a heat gun.
You can buy great 10.9 bolt assortments on EBay in JIS+washer head or Allen head style.Add your own oiled washer / Loctite appropriate to the situation. Just as good as an OEM MEC bolt of the same grade imho.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote