Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

How much engine movement is normal/how much means bad motor mount

On my boxster, the motor mount was previously replaced 9/16/2010 at 23,000 miles ago. In the service record it says "Customer observed loud banging from back of car. Replaced engine mount."

I don't have any banging, and my shifter cables don't move when I am accelerating, but today I took a little drive with the passenger seat out and the front engine cover removed (I actually forgot that I had not put the cover back until I had left the house and felt the warm breeze blowing out... felt pretty good actually)

I peeked back there during some acceleration and noticed that when I get on the gas, the engine kind of "lifts up" a little, maybe 1/4" to 3/8" of an inch (no way to measure but that is my best guess) and if I let my foot of the accelerator pedal rapidly the engine drops back down about the same amount. When it gets to the end of the movement in either direction it kind of bobbles a few times until it stabilizes in the new position, either deflected during acceleration or at rest during idle). If I rev it up in neutral the engine has a very slight rotational movement to the right.

Does this seem normal or is it time for another engine mount already? That seems awfully soon if it is but the car was a PA car before I bought it and may have sat outside/salt/etc (unsure if those are a factor but figured I would mention it).

Thanks

Steve

PS it sure gets noisy when I get on the gas with that cover off...

Last edited by steved0x; 01-13-2015 at 01:15 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote