View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
dghii

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I wish I would have discovered this before doing my WP, I understand that the WP is much easier with the engine down and the engine mount much easier with the coolant hoses disconnected.. Blah...
Correct! I've replaced motor mounts 4 or 5 times on my various Boxsters. When I had to do a WP a couple of months ago (my first time), I didn't hesitate to remove the mount first. The WP R/R was quite easy. Caveot: I get to do all this kind of work with my car on a lift....certainly makes these jobs easier!

What did I notice regarding a failing mount? Two things mostly: the resonant vibration around 3K rpm and a little bit of roughness at idle.

I bought a very inexpensive 98 Box a few years ago that needed its maintenance brought up to date. Even after replacing spark plugs and other maintenance I was dissapointed to find that I still felt a little roughness at idle (easily compared to my 2000S). I noticed that even with the roughness, the tach was rock steady.

After replacing the mount, the roughness vanished and the car felt brand new. Lesson learned! I've bought three other older Boxsters since and the replacing the mount is one of the first things I do.

BTW, every mount I've swapped was torn. Even on my 2000S that really didn't exhibit any symtoms. All the cars had over 100K miles on them when I did the replacements so all were due.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote