Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
X GI

Last thing I wanna do...

Is speed in my Boxster..

Why risk a ticket because you know this car is a cop magnet. How many Boxsters do you see on a daily basis? Few and far between.. So why risk becomming that "$#$@! Frickin A-hole Jerk $#%#!! speeding in that Porsche!! "

Now I'm not talking about keeping up with traffic flow which these days is at least 75mph...I'm talking about doing 85-90 down the freeway. You do that in your Boxster or any Porsche for that matter and people will remember you, especially on your daily routine commute. I saw a guy this morning in a newer 911 speeding and changing lanes so quickly almost causing accidents! I will not forget that guy.

So my advice to all Porsche owners is take it easy, enjoy the car but don't act arrogant and reckless in traffic..do that in your SUV..ha ha...

1999 Boxster
SJEFFB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

This has been talked about many times....and if I remember correctly - most of us felt this car was no more a cop magnet than any other. Use the search to look it up.

To me - if a cop sees you speeding, he doesn't care what you drive - he's just going to give you a ticket.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Living in the desert.

Thanks, but I'll drive however I want.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but I think we all know how to drive and don't need you to tell us how it is just because you got owned by a 911. :ah:

Get over it. Nobody cares.
tonichristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
X GI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonichristi View Post
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but I think we all know how to drive and don't need you to tell us how it is just because you got owned by a 911. :ah:

Ok. Cool your jets..just voicing an opinion and observation. Point taken.
1999 Boxster
SJEFFB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #5

I sure didn't buy a Porsche to drive the speed limit.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
I sure didn't buy a Porsche to drive the speed limit.
Speed limit?
Aren't those signs merely suggestions?
In 26 years of driving my old 5.0 and now the Boxster summer cars, I've been stopped only once, at a Ride check.
I get busted driving the POS daily driver...
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I prefer to accelerate to the speed limit more quickly than everyone else.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJEFFB986 View Post

So my advice to all Porsche owners is take it easy, enjoy the car but don't act arrogant and reckless in traffic..do that in your SUV..ha ha...

I would much rather see you fly past in the left lane going 130 then have some idiot texting and driving in an suv going 80, some large vehicle that will demolish anything it runs into and likely leave the at fault driver safe and sound.

Lane splitting and driving erratically is horrendous, but if you have a proper German car, why not enjoy it and drive like a respectful German would. Attentive and fast!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:

Does anyone actual live in Tombstone anymore? I thought that place was just for tourist.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:

There's a jerk in every crowd....guess we found ours!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #11

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I usually travel about 20 over the speed limit, but our highways are not that busy and when they are you are stuck going as fast as the person infront of you.... No point swerving through lanes to try get ahead.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #12

Garage
I actually think its cooler to be going the speed limit in a fast car. At least on the hwy.
Had a newer GT3 RS pass me on the hwy. a couple months back, he was just taking it easy. I was cruising 72 in a 65, he was doing 73
I thought that was more impressive

Speed limit signs don't make the grin

These do
Old 01-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #13

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it.
-George Carlin
Old 01-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

A few months back I hit 140 on I-80 between Tooele and SLC. Nice long flat road, great weather. Took 20-30 seconds. I pick my spots and there are plenty of places I won't do 2 over. No more tickets.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #15
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
"I'm sorry officer, I... uh, I didn't know I couldn't do that."
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:01 AM   #16

Not for nothing, but use Waze and keep an eye on your mirror.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #17

Speed is a thrill to be enjoyed daily in small sips lest Big Brother spot you and take your fun away from you.

Radar detectors, Waze, glance up in the sky frequently and daily knowledge of the patrol schedules helps you pick and choose your guilty pleasures.

Long duration speeding is best done on the race track where you only need to focus on the roadway, guages and mirrors.

Around these areas I find the biggest problem is people in the PASSING lane are actually going slower than the right lanes and below the legal limit.
It would drive a proper German driver to road rage.

I'd like to have a directional EMP device that would shut down these vehicles and cell phones.

Oh "Q" how are you coming along with that device?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #18

We go over 40km (25 mph) over the posted limit and the car can immediately be confiscated. You find yourself at the side of the road with no vehicle. And there are substantial financial penalties as well.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #19

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
We go over 40km (25 mph) over the posted limit and the car can immediately be confiscated. You find yourself at the side of the road with no vehicle. And there are substantial financial penalties as well.

It depends who pulls you over as well. Most guys if you are friendly not not being a prick, will reduce it as if you were not doing 40 over.

Rest of the times my radar detector is amazing I never thought it would work as well as it does.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
This has been talked about many times....and if I remember correctly - most of us felt this car was no more a cop magnet than any other. Use the search to look it up.

To me - if a cop sees you speeding, he doesn't care what you drive - he's just going to give you a ticket.
ahhh disagree completely. I have been pulled over more times in this car than all previous cars combined. But I think it's more to do with it being a flashy roadster than because it's a Porsche. Either way, foreign expensive looking sports car. I'm sure the same would have happened had this been a Merc or Bimmer convertible. The irony is that I have been a model driver during this time yet the smokeys are always on the prowl. One guy sniffed me out, while I was observing the speed limit mind you, and followed me for five minutes on this winding road waiting for me to screw up. Then he gets on his microphone (I had the top down) and and says "Porsche guy, radar detectors make you look GUILTY...". That's where is where I wish I had my own bullhorn so I could have replied "like the V1 was what caught your attention in the first place!".
Every other time it's some other thing like the no license plate (didn't have one on the previous cars either, but only pulled over in this car for it). And recently one cop tailed me and ran my plate even though I wasn't doing anything wrong and discovered that one town had gone after my license over a single unpaid parking meter ticket resulting in a license suspension (apparently SOP here in NJ according to my lawyer). The cop claimed my tail light wasn't working when I hit the brakes but after he wrote up the ticket I drove up to the gas station up the street and checked out the lights, nothing wrong at all.

The other thread you refer to mentioned a review of tickets issued by police but not the number of times certain cars were pulled over by police. I have been pulled over ~20-30 times in this car but only about 1/4 of those resulted in an actual ticket which I of course fought and had reduced to non-points fines. That other study of only citations that were issued might give the reader the impression that I never attract the attention of police, which is most certainly not the case. So this car has actually encouraged me to observe the speed limit just to avoid the hassle. But since first going through high performance driving instruction I find that I look at the road ahead differently with more respect for the braking distances required. So I'm always looking for escape routes/buffers which means I have to maintain distance to the cars in front which of course requires one to slow down.
Someone who is constantly weaving in and out of traffic is just showing you they foolishly put too much faith in the driving ability of the other drivers he doesn't know the first thing about. Should one of these slow pokes do something unexpected, the guy in the hurry can end up teets up in the middle of highway a.ka. "the early exit". An experienced and competent driver doesn't put that kind of blind faith in drivers he doesn't know.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-07-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote