Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #1

Thinking about twin turbo.

So I can't say that I haven't been sleeping with this in my head for a while.. I have had my S for a while now and have had the chance to do a lot to it recently. I've seen the majority of the kits out there, the most popular being the TPC kit a little on the pricey side. I don't want a 911 Turbo because the chassis isn't as good as the 986.

That being said, is anyone on the forum running any type of forced induction? We can make a lot of power with fairly low boost (6-9psi) because of the reasonably higher compression. The S also comes with forged pistons, not sure about rods. I'm sure it would handle it pretty well. I'm possibly thinking of running 2 VF39 turbo's (same as STI) but may be only able to run a single turbo set up due to space. I think it would be super cool to home brew a kit and have something that is completely one off.

Who could imagine two little turbos peeking out the bottom?

Just seeing what you guys think and if anyone has done it!

ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

thought about it. will need to do injectors as well. thought about an aerocharger so as to not have to run oil lines and make things hotter than they already are - more expensive, but no scavenge pump, wastegate or bov. issues I see are (aside from everyone who will yap up about how you can't do FI on these engines):

- good luck finding anyone local who can tune a 7.2 dme (lots of folks can do the 7.8).
- air oil separator. can't get your vacuum from the intake when running FI (could run a one-way valve I suppose ...). most tuners just run a catch can which can present issues at the track, as well you no longer have vacuum on the crankcase. an electric vacuum pump would be ideal, but haven't seen anything that really does the trick.

Last edited by The Radium King; 01-06-2015 at 09:00 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #3

Just put the STI motor in and have more fun =)

EviL imports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #4

Holy crap! Way to go! Is the set- up lighter? How much power and what's an STI engine going for these days??? Stock 6 speed? Electronics??? Do the front wheels pull now??
Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Holy crap! Way to go! Is the set- up lighter? How much power and what's an STI engine going for these days??? Stock 6 speed? Electronics??? Do the front wheels pull now??
You can check this thread for most of the info on the car, He built this one for himself and i got him to sell it to me, But he does make/sell most of the conversion parts needed if you were going to do the swap,

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/37531-subaru-powered-boxster-street-version.html
Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

I mean I could go that route as well.. But i'd like to keep the Porsche as original as possible and I say that very loosely. I'm just trying to make the car how it should have come from factory! Did you end up using the Porsche's 6 speed with an adapter plate? Would be interesting to swap in a EJ207 twin scroll lol..
Old 01-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

We all dream of a turbo in the Boxster! Money for nothing and our chicks for free!

Except, after much research, most (but not all) realize that it would be easier, more reliable, and cheaper to simply buy a 996T than end up with a $40,000 FrankenBoxster that has the resale value of a nice Boxster S.

Take a look at this $40K obo 996T. To each his own, but this might make you think twice.
Porsche 911 Turbo | eBay

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #8

You make a valid point. At the same time the 996T does not suffer from any IMS issues. I'm not thinking about resale value, I'm thinking long term. A car that I will gladly own for the rest of my life. I wonder if anyone has thrown in a 996TT motor into any 986 platform. Would be cool to see.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #9

How about an R8? Expensive but hey keep it for life. V8- no waiting or winding required. 2009 in Van 25 000 km $95 000. In USA probably $10- 20 000 less.

Last edited by woodsman; 01-07-2015 at 01:02 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #10

R8's are lame. The V8 is basically the same motor as the RS5 which I personally think demeaning to the R8. My father has an Gallardo which I drive on occasion, even compared to the 986 platform the Gallardo is a much more drive-able car. It is MUCH more forgiving than the Porsche and you don't have to have nearly as much seat time to reach that cars limit. I did the RWD conversion for him for a couple of weeks in the summer to see how he liked it. After the RWD conversion it felt much more alive and more down my alley. After a short time we made it AWD again.

What i'm trying to get at is I really would like a car that tries to actively kill me when I drive it. :ah:
Old 01-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ルーカス View Post
What i'm trying to get at is I really would like a car that tries to actively kill me when I drive it. :ah:
I totally get where you're coming from and that is why each Porsche I buy is older than the previous ones. My daily driver now is the 78 911SC. Why? Because its more involving and not a Barcalounger on wheels. If I want comfort, I'll drive my wife's BMW (the not-so-ultimate driving machine).

If you want a car that will actively try to kill you when you drive, then the 930 Turbo is the car for you. They didn't call it the Widowmaker for nothing.

I have personally driven a late 80's 930 and while a 997 GT-3 is probably ultimately faster, the way that the turbo delivers the power in the 930 is crazy - nothing, nothing, then whoosh!

The non-linearity of the power makes fast cornering treacherous because unless you know exactly where the engine is in the power band, as you reach the apex and open the throttle you might get nothing or you might get a boatload of whoosh. If you get the whoosh, then you will likely spin the car and end up in the weeds.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-08-2015 at 07:37 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Mate that is a BEAUTIFUL boxster car, great shot and all.

Lucky man!

ps. I'd just fit a reliable 3.6 in there and call it an significant upgrade - if you are to keep it as a toy for a life-time (see what member Cronos is doing to his). Not a huge fan of aftermarket forced induction on cast-made engines/parts - fingers crossed on that
Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
I mean I could go that route as well.. But i'd like to keep the Porsche as original as possible and I say that very loosely. I'm just trying to make the car how it should have come from factory! Did you end up using the Porsche's 6 speed with an adapter plate? Would be interesting to swap in a EJ207 twin scroll lol..
Car is using the porsche 6 speed with a adapter plate, My car is running a twin scroll 30R in it. I do think the EJ207 would have been a great motor to swap in and if i was building/having it built i would use the 207 over the ej255/257
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Mate that is a BEAUTIFUL boxster car, great shot and all.

Lucky man!

ps. I'd just fit a reliable 3.6 in there and call it an significant upgrade - if you are to keep it as a toy for a life-time (see what member Cronos is doing to his). Not a huge fan of aftermarket forced induction on cast-made engines/parts - fingers crossed on that
Thanks for the kind words my friend! I have about every single bolt on I possibly could have on right now and the car still feels very alive. By no means am I running out of power! I see you're just in Montreal, maybe we can meet up during the summer time for a shoot?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #15

Sure can do, visiting MTL 2nd and 3rd week of March. Thing is... I'll need to ferry the boxster over if you want to race lol

Good mate there owns Loue La Vie in Laval and I rarely do not pick up (hire) her GT3 RS for weeks at a time when I'm home on visit You may not like that car much but we'll see.

I'll be in touch Love your car btw man, absolutely stunning
Old 01-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #16

[QUOTE=ルーカス;

What i'm trying to get at is I really would like a car that tries to actively kill me when I drive it. :ah:[/QUOTE]

But the Boxster's chassis is about as forgiving as you will find....
Old 01-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #17

Exclamation

I think you're ready for racing at Mosport (or whatever they're calling it these days). You're a hard-core adrenaline junkie and Mosport will FEED you!! Imagine racing at night, in the dark with others around you doing unexpected things while dancing around the friction circle while the road drops off the planet as it veers sharply to the right, down the hill ,now left and watch that stream rushing across the bottom of 2 , gotta be perfect from now on to reach 180 km down straight oh **************** how did he just pass me in a 4 wheel drift, think, think squeeze, flow ya relax and flow, lift the eyes and forget that guy...ahhh he's crop touring now around 3a-b....I RACE THERFORE I AM!:dance:
Old 01-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Sure can do, visiting MTL 2nd and 3rd week of March. Thing is... I'll need to ferry the boxster over if you want to race lol

Good mate there owns Loue La Vie in Laval and I rarely do not pick up (hire) her GT3 RS for weeks at a time when I'm home on visit You may not like that car much but we'll see.

I'll be in touch Love your car btw man, absolutely stunning
Thanks pal! Shoot me a PM and I'll grab your number. Where is your boxster ATM? I want to take a look at it in person!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #19

The Redster not too far off where you are ;)

Look at my avatar location. Hope you cope with jetlag better than I do
Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #20

UK Ebay had this monster for sale a few months back. Was tempted to swap my humble 2.5 for it as my daily driver.

Hand-Me-Down Twin Turbo Porsche Boxster on eBay - Ferdinand

Glasgow 911SC is offline   Reply With Quote