Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

haggerty insurance will not accept my boxster

04 s with 33k,i wanted to get replacement value,i didnt even state the amount and they said they were not insuring them at this time in california.they are not comfortable with the market and sliding prices. they had no problem with my 912e.wonder if they will ever regain any value?

rosenfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #2

Coincidentally, a friend with a Boxster S texted me this afternoon what the NADA value of his low mile pristine example was, he was somewhat despondent. I replied that I thought the market was firming up if not rising..........
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #3

I can't comment on US pricing, but what I've seen in Australia is that the < $$ gap between the standard Boxster and the S version seems to be growing - especially if the S has low(ish) mileage and good records....
There are currently only ~ 41 x 986 S models up for sale in Oz compared to ~58 x 2.5 / 2.7 engined cars. Considering Australia is about 80% of the land mass size of the US, that's not a lot of Boxsters (or Porsches) for sale per square mile.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #4

prices are going down for now.too many made,i dont think one can expect any appreciation in the near future.jeez you see boxes for 4-5k.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #5

I've got mine insured with Leland west for agreed value. I think they give a pca discount.I recently raised up the value slightly and it was no.problem.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

Garage
When my car was totaled I received a more than generous reimbursement, nationwide, they thankfully did not go by blue book and rather based the price on comparable models currently listed (it was spring time.)
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

I use American collectors for my 2000S.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:32 AM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

American Family insurance. Great rate.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:35 AM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenfe View Post
prices are going down for now.too many made,i dont think one can expect any appreciation in the near future.jeez you see boxes for 4-5k.
That's funny, I was just reading about a low-miles base for over $18K....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #10

pricing is all over the map (nothing new there) but I think that particular insurer's position has more to do with the their margin for error vs. that of a larger national carrier. The air-cooled cars have a significantly reduced supply making values much easier for their adjusters to predict during the term of the policy. Consider 996 pricing during the first year of the financial crisis, some cars were losing up to $20K a year in resale. The double-edged sword of popular and high margins. The Caymans/Boxsters faired better because they weren't starting so high to begin with. When there's a credit crunch, values of excessive inventory of out-of-warranty cars come down to "demand reality" lightning quick. But even with limited supply, very few Porsches in general have recouped their original sticker prices in the used car market. The insurers are dealing with either a guessing game or a bubble or both.

You will not have a problem insuring a S model 986 with desirable mileage with a GEICO, Progressive, etc. And you will get a very good rate if you meet the typical check boxes. Here in NJ we have one of the highest insurance rates in the country and I'm paying less than $100 a month for full coverage.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-18-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #11

Reference auto insurance:

1. It is all relative. When I purchased my 1999 Boxster in Sept 2009 w/104000 miles, I only purchased liability insurance. At the time the added cost of full-comprehensive coverage was not worth it (especially on a car that cost me all of $8700). Plus it gives me added incentives to avoid any and all accidents as well as stupid behavior.

2. Now that I have over 229,000 miles on the car, I am afraid to look up the value of my Boxster (it might cause a grown man to cry).

3. I've started to look for a 996 coupe as a replacement.

4. Leif Johnson Ford in Austin had this 2002 911C4S with 96000 miles for sale (asking $22,993) this week {silver w/black interior}. Can still be found on Austin Craigslist. I waited two days before I went to look at it. Unfortunately a guy put a $1000 non-refundable deposit down on it the day before. Another one that just got away....

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc-i View Post
4. Leif Johnson Ford in Austin had this 2002 911C4S with 96000 miles for sale (asking $22,993) this week {silver w/black interior}. Can still be found on Austin Craigslist. I waited two days before I went to look at it. Unfortunately a guy put a $1000 non-refundable deposit down on it the day before. Another one that just got away....
986 and 996 prices are in the dumpster.

Blue book for a 2002 996 C4S 96K miles is $18K max. Be happy that it got away...

Blue book on my 99 996 C2 146K miles is $8K. Yep, worth less than a worn out Kia.

As PerfectLap said in another post, these cars are only worth the value of the engine life that might be left + the rolling chassis value. For example, a low miles car is worth the price of its nearly new engine ($7K) + the rolling chassis ($3K). A high miles car is worth barely more than just a rolling chassis - that worn out engine is worth almost nothing.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-18-2014 at 08:42 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #13

Garage
You also may need to make sure that you are using the correct terms. I'm not sure that any insurance company will give you a policy for replacement value. You are talking about insuring approximately a $15K car for more like $80K to over $100K. That is what replacement value would be in insurance terms. Maybe you are looking for an agreed value police where you and the insurance have an agreed value of say the $15K in the case of a total lose. Most coverages are going to be market value and use the book values to determine the value at any given time. Last you have the option similar to market value which is actual cash value which in theory should come out in the ball park of market value except a different calculation is used subtracting depreciation from replacement cost. Hope this helps as people are speaking about being happy about the money received in a total loss but not stating how the value was determined.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
I'm not sure I understand. By replacement value you mean that if you stick you $15k Boxster in a guard rail and live they will hand you a check for $65k (new 2015 equivalent)?? I don't know any insurance co that will offer that. If you mean they will hand you a check for $15k? Every ins co will do this. Sounds like a misunderstanding.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #15

i meant stated value,obviously not replacement value.they wont consider doing the stated value,did not even ask the amount i wanted,just said they are not doing insuranve on boxsters with stated value.of course i have comprehensive ,but at time of accident who knows what they will value it for..stated value at least guarantees what your going to get
Old 12-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #16

I was about to go to one of these collector car insurance companies mentioned in this thread above and my State Farm agent (has my two other cars and two homes on a policy) told me they'd give me agreed upon value for my Boxster ($15k) and the price was 2/3 of Leland.

Go figure.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I was about to go to one of these collector car insurance companies mentioned in this thread above and my State Farm agent (has my two other cars and two homes on a policy) told me they'd give me agreed upon value for my Boxster ($15k) and the price was 2/3 of Leland.

Go figure.
what was the price of Leland?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote