Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #21

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be honest, I'll have to research the function of the pulley to even know if it's operating properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
If you're going to re-use the pulley, make sure it's operating properly. I didn't even notice mine wasn't clutching properly when I replace my voltage regulator; good thing the guy at the alternator shop did.

Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #22

Ref thread for pulley info:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36341-2001-free-wheeling-alternator-pulley.html
Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #23

I was able to get the alternator out without much of a hassle. After reading all the posts I had a good idea how to do it. I did make the mistake though of using a rubber mallet and a punch. Once I used a regular hammer it loosened up nicely and was easy to pry out.

Question:
I ordered the replacement alternator from O'Reilly auto parts, will the alternator come with the pulley? The photo shown on the store computer showed it came with one. I'm picking up the alternator tomorrow. I forgot to ask about a belt, may have to make another trip.

Also.. what is the difference between a car with AC and not. My car has AC and this was a question asked. I'm just curious what are the differences.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated, your inputs gave me that nudge of confidence to do it myself.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #24
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Mine came with the pulley. All stock Boxsters have A/C, the question should have been: manual or automatic?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #25

Thanks for the feedback, you're right mine came with the pulley too. I picked up the alternator and installed it this evening. Sure was a lot easier doing the install! Took it for a test drive and the battery generator light doesn't come on anymore. I was lucky the previous owner had the manual for the radio and the 4 digit code on piece of paper to gain access.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback and tips!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Mine came with the pulley. All stock Boxsters have A/C, the question should have been: manual or automatic?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 AM   #26

$107.79 from Advance Auto if you use the coded TRT30. 30% off up to $50 max. You use almost all of the $50... can't be beat.