Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #1

Just got rear ended

On my way home from work in stop and go traffic I had to slow down fairly quickly to about 15 mph but nothing extreme. I look in my rearview mirror and I see a Dodge Stratus barreling towards me with tires smoking (thinking what the hell is wrong with his ABS). With no out because there were cars all around I braced myself and sure enough he hit me what felt like pretty hard. Thankfully I was not hurt. We pulled to the side of the highway and I got out and expected carnage and all that I could see were some marks on the bumperettes. Fortunately the other driver was fine and I told him to get his brakes checked because the ABS should work and not allow the car to lock the brakes.

I have an appointment with an insurance adjuster and with a hit like this that appears on the surface to have little damage is there something I should be looking for in damage beneath the bumper cover?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #2

before you accept a check, make sure you are properly assessed. if there is a local trusted body shop you use, get their opinion before signing a release. also make sure you are ok before signing a release. sometimes soft tissue trauma may take a day or two to show up.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Hmmmmm, potentially an opportunity for a different style rear bumper upgrade.

Of course all the bumper cover attach points should be checked and the underlying bumper/shocks.

Once the bumper cover is off you'll get a better look.

Potential Muffler damage as well.

Check for smooth operation of the spoiler and trunk opening.

If either get hung up, theres potentially a body twist and things need straightening.

Did air bags deploy?

Take your time and don't sign anything until you are satisfied with things.
Insurance companies always try to get away with the least cost so be wary of shortcuts or non OEM used parts.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

No air bags. Trunk closes fand spoiler works works fine. Looked underneath and the muffler looks fine too.

Love to change the bumper cover but would want a matching front bumper cover. I'd be happy with painted bumperettes.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 09-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Were you in gear? If you only see issues, take it for a spirited drive, see if you hear or feel any changes.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
On my way home from work in stop and go traffic I had to slow down fairly quickly to about 15 mph but nothing extreme. I look in my rearview mirror and I see a Dodge Stratus barreling towards me with tires smoking (thinking what the hell is wrong with his ABS). With no out because there were cars all around I braced myself and sure enough he hit me what felt like pretty hard. Thankfully I was not hurt. We pulled to the side of the highway and I got out and expected carnage and all that I could see were some marks on the bumperettes. Fortunately the other driver was fine and I told him to get his brakes checked because the ABS should work and not allow the car to lock the brakes.

I have an appointment with an insurance adjuster and with a hit like this that appears on the surface to have little damage is there something I should be looking for in damage beneath the bumper cover?

With your car being a 2002, you may have to really do some convincing with your insurer on the proper amount they are willing to pay you for the repair. It is very typical for you to get "rear ended" twice, one by the other car then again from your insurance company, and the insurance company won't even bother with lube.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post

I couldn't help but roll my eyes when it turned out to be a stratus, those sand the early model caravans may be some of the most dangerous cars on the road with the neglect to maintenance that most owners partake in.

Glad you are okay, my assumption is that your car actually is too, the rear bumper has lots of give and it seems the bumperettes helped protect your paint, if exhaust looks fine and trunk and spoiler operate well, I'd say you are (likely) solid.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Were you in gear? If you only see issues, take it for a spirited drive, see if you hear or feel any changes.
Yeah I've already run it through the gears and everything checks out fine.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 09-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #9

Garage
Maybe those bumperettes do a little better job of protecting the car than some give credit for.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote