986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Just got rear ended (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54137-just-got-rear-ended.html)

Porsche9 09-19-2014 08:12 PM

Just got rear ended

On my way home from work in stop and go traffic I had to slow down fairly quickly to about 15 mph but nothing extreme. I look in my rearview mirror and I see a Dodge Stratus barreling towards me with tires smoking (thinking what the hell is wrong with his ABS). With no out because there were cars all around I braced myself and sure enough he hit me what felt like pretty hard. Thankfully I was not hurt. We pulled to the side of the highway and I got out and expected carnage and all that I could see were some marks on the bumperettes. Fortunately the other driver was fine and I told him to get his brakes checked because the ABS should work and not allow the car to lock the brakes.

I have an appointment with an insurance adjuster and with a hit like this that appears on the surface to have little damage is there something I should be looking for in damage beneath the bumper cover?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

rdass623 09-19-2014 08:19 PM

before you accept a check, make sure you are properly assessed. if there is a local trusted body shop you use, get their opinion before signing a release. also make sure you are ok before signing a release. sometimes soft tissue trauma may take a day or two to show up.

jb92563 09-19-2014 08:53 PM

Hmmmmm, potentially an opportunity for a different style rear bumper upgrade.:D

Of course all the bumper cover attach points should be checked and the underlying bumper/shocks.

Once the bumper cover is off you'll get a better look.

Potential Muffler damage as well.

Check for smooth operation of the spoiler and trunk opening.

If either get hung up, theres potentially a body twist and things need straightening.

Did air bags deploy?

Take your time and don't sign anything until you are satisfied with things.
Insurance companies always try to get away with the least cost so be wary of shortcuts or non OEM used parts.

Porsche9 09-19-2014 09:37 PM

No air bags. Trunk closes fand spoiler works works fine. Looked underneath and the muffler looks fine too.

Love to change the bumper cover but would want a matching front bumper cover. I'd be happy with painted bumperettes.

Timco 09-20-2014 03:50 AM

Were you in gear? If you only see issues, take it for a spirited drive, see if you hear or feel any changes.

Slate 01 09-20-2014 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 418837)
On my way home from work in stop and go traffic I had to slow down fairly quickly to about 15 mph but nothing extreme. I look in my rearview mirror and I see a Dodge Stratus barreling towards me with tires smoking (thinking what the hell is wrong with his ABS). With no out because there were cars all around I braced myself and sure enough he hit me what felt like pretty hard. Thankfully I was not hurt. We pulled to the side of the highway and I got out and expected carnage and all that I could see were some marks on the bumperettes. Fortunately the other driver was fine and I told him to get his brakes checked because the ABS should work and not allow the car to lock the brakes.

I have an appointment with an insurance adjuster and with a hit like this that appears on the surface to have little damage is there something I should be looking for in damage beneath the bumper cover?

With your car being a 2002, you may have to really do some convincing with your insurer on the proper amount they are willing to pay you for the repair. It is very typical for you to get "rear ended" twice, one by the other car then again from your insurance company, and the insurance company won't even bother with lube.;)

BIGJake111 09-20-2014 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 418837)

I couldn't help but roll my eyes when it turned out to be a stratus, those sand the early model caravans may be some of the most dangerous cars on the road with the neglect to maintenance that most owners partake in.

Glad you are okay, my assumption is that your car actually is too, the rear bumper has lots of give and it seems the bumperettes helped protect your paint, if exhaust looks fine and trunk and spoiler operate well, I'd say you are (likely) solid.

Porsche9 09-20-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 418856)
Were you in gear? If you only see issues, take it for a spirited drive, see if you hear or feel any changes.

Yeah I've already run it through the gears and everything checks out fine.

jdraupp 09-20-2014 11:13 AM

Maybe those bumperettes do a little better job of protecting the car than some give credit for.