Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #1

Garage
Need help with soft top

Hi everyone,

Need help with soft top folding.Last weekend pick it up used soft top (glass) with a frame for my 2001 986S.Swapped it on saturday and now having problem with camshell. When top is on everything is good, but when I fold it, on passenger side camshell dose not close all the way.About less than 1/2" gap, when I apply a little force to it (right where locating pin is) it finds the place and sits flash. I tried to adjust push rods and loosen 3 main screws on a frame and adjust frame but no luck,the tension cables are good.Is there any special adjustment that I miss or better I leave it for a while to brake in then try adjust again? I think on a passenger side top dose not fold enough to let camshell sit in place.
Ill post a video later.

Thanks advance.

ArmenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #2

Sometimes if there is an asymmetry in the sides you may have to adjust the transmissions individually. With the clamshell up you can disconnect the drive cables and adjust them individually with a drill. If is a sticking problem another thing to check are the ball connectors on the batwings. I had one so corroded it caused a drive cable to break. Clamshell spring could also be weak on one side.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

I had the same problem when I swapped an 04 top and frame into my 2000. I'm assuming you are aware of the instructions on Mike Focke's web site: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797

I was able to reduce the gap on mine by adjusting the top tension cables. (These are the cables with the ball and socket arrangement that you must pop out to put the top in service position.) There is an adjuster above it (a brass-colored nut that is about 9mm). Turning the nut clockwise (if I recall correctly you may need to experiment) reduces the tension on the back edge of the top and allows it to fold easier.

You need to be careful that you are not increasing the gap between the top and the clamshell when the top is in the closed position. This could lead to a leak.

I was never totally able to remove the gap without a little push on the clamshell. However, it seems to have become smaller on its own after repeated openings and closings.

Good luck and enjoy your glass window.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

Garage
guys, thanks for input.Earlier today I tried to discount the ball connectors and see if top manually folds enough but still the same thing, looks to me that glass top is a little thicker than plastic.I may try individual cable adjustment, but if top without push rods cannot go more I don't think cable adjustment will help.
Kevin, I notice that one of tension cable almost to brake point and ordered pair from pelican parts, should get it tomorrow but I think that will effect when top is close, in my situation when top in on all lines up well.I guess at this point I will leave it for a while and try to leave top folded as much as I can, it my need some time to stretch out fabric and line up.
Thanks.
Here is some pictures.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #5

I've got a similar issue with mine after it was replaced a few months ago. When lowering the top, the driver's side of the clamshell doesn't close all the way. However, if I just leave it alone for about 10 minutes, it eventually settles in place. Not sure why that is, and I've never been able to find an adjustment that does any good. Thoughts?
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Love the red highlights. That looks wicked!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Garage
Jay, the only down side of red light that I have got useless revers lights
Devact, I have seen someone in forum mentioned that it may be a motor to lever drive cables .I think it possible, if cables are old and partially damaged it cannot transfer all the torque form motor to lever,causing this issue.
I will research a little more before changing the cables.
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #8

I don't know if this helps but I recently had to replace the transmission on my top. Before I bolted the transmissions back in, I made sure to match up very precisely, the timing marks on the transmission. After I installed them, the opening and closing was spot on.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #9

Garage
San_rensho, as I mentioned before it looks to me there is no enough torque for camshell to push top and rest in correct position.It looks to me the the old top been repaired before (it was missing 3 philips screws on each side frame) so its quite possible that I may have misaligned cables.I will double check on this weekend.Is there any specific way to adjust frame before tightening 3 bolts on each side? I was thinking as long as latch lever dose not hit plastic wind deflector, alignment is good.
By the way anyone knows how motor detecting stop position? current measuring or sensor?
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #10

Here's a picture of my clamshell showing the gap with the top open:

Here's a picture with the top closed:

The gap is noticeably larger with the top open. It is smaller than when I first installed the top, but it is still not optimal. I am beginning to wonder if my top transmission cables need adjustment or replacement. There is no gap on the passenger side with either the top open or closed.

I have other things to take care of on the car, and this has taken a bit of a "back burner."
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Here's a picture of my clamshell showing the gap with the top open:

Here's a picture with the top closed:

The gap is noticeably larger with the top open. It is smaller than when I first installed the top, but it is still not optimal. I am beginning to wonder if my top transmission cables need adjustment or replacement. There is no gap on the passenger side with either the top open or closed.

I have other things to take care of on the car, and this has taken a bit of a "back burner."

If you open the top without the rear shelf and carpet does the clamshell gap go away?

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #12

Garage
just an quick update, yesterday I washed the car and the top was too dirty I washed it as well .After let it sit under sun for fully dry I notice now I got the same camshell problem on both sides,I am thinking that its related to canvas stretch.Will investigate more on this weekend.
Thanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehadehd View Post
If you open the top without the rear shelf and carpet does the clamshell gap go away?
I took out the rear storage compartment and it didn't make any difference.

I did not take out the carpet.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #14

I think the shut off switch is in the transmission. If shutting off before fully closing there could be too much slack in the cabes. If I remember there is some degree of adjustment on cable ends. Thereare also two spring devices on either side of clam shell. If these are weak there may not be enough tension to fully close clamshell. Easiest and cheapest is to shorten cable ends first.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #15

Garage
after got new tension cables from Pelican parts, last weekend I changed both cable, deriver side was almost busted passenger side could live, but swapped both.After realigning all carpets and top compartment, now the top sits perfect.Its amazing how can only fraction of an inch make so much difference.
Thanks to all.