Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #121
Certified Boxster Addict

I'm not quite understanding the "TS wanted to scare or brush back KW" idea. TS had already dealt with KW when he put him in the wall. At that point, the deal was done. Taught him a lesson. Well forgotten. Nothing more to worry about. No reason whatsoever to do anything further.

What am I missing?

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I'm not quite understanding the "TS wanted to scare or brush back KW" idea. TS had already dealt with KW when he put him in the wall. At that point, the deal was done. Taught him a lesson. Well forgotten. Nothing more to worry about. No reason whatsoever to do anything further.

What am I missing?
To me, it was more he knew KW had crashed and wanted to gloat - so he was a little higher on the track so he could make sure KW saw TS still in the race while KW was not. Again, I'm not in his head, so am only guessing, based on the little I know about TSs personality.
Knocking him out taught him a lesson - driving up high was to drive that lesson home.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 AM   #123
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
To me, it was more he knew KW had crashed and wanted to gloat - so he was a little higher on the track so he could make sure KW saw TS still in the race while KW was not. Again, I'm not in his head, so am only guessing, based on the little I know about TSs personality.
Knocking him out taught him a lesson - driving up high was to drive that lesson home.
I have watched the original video several times. I see TS high on the track, but he never moves to actually put KW into the wall. If KW had that tight of a lane, he could have backed off and taken the lane behind TS. He fought the top lane battle and touched the wall, seems his own doing.

Then the video at the top of previous page, slowed down, with arrows. TS never moved that car and it didn't make one motion until it hit KW and that was from him being under the wheel. High lane pass to gloat maybe, but nobody expected KS to be out of his car and running towards the lanes.

When the guy who "wrecked him" is also the guy who killed him, it's easy to draw these lines connecting the two, then throw some gas on it (TS bad attitude) and it's "TS will never race again" when in reality there is nowhere near enough evidence to show criminal liability. Civil?? Ask Porsche about the PW lawsuit.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
When the guy who "wrecked him" is also the guy who killed him, it's easy to draw these lines connecting the two, then throw some gas on it (TS bad attitude) and it's "TS will never race again" when in reality there is nowhere near enough evidence to show criminal liability. Civil?? Ask Porsche about the PW lawsuit.
As far as we know, all evidence is not in, all statements have not been taken, all equipment has not reviewed yet, etc. Also, the mere fact -- that during a caution -- he went higher and faster, opens the door to depraved indifference of human life investigation by local and state prosecutors, not including the police investigation. Once the prosecutors are looking at something closely.... all bets are off, it can go either way. I was pretty certain that this would absolutely lead to a prosecution (albeit with an unlikely conviction) simply because he's a high profile hot head that ran over someone who died.
Prosecutions are easily politicized, as we've seen in Florida numerous times. And juries a total crap shoot, I've seen plenty make some bizarre decisions.
in other words, the process is in motion and I would not be sleeping well at night if I were TS. Although that will probably continue if he's cleared of criminal negligence.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-15-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #125
Certified Boxster Addict

This hoax reporting that Tony Stewart was going to retire was posted online. If you see it, ignore it.

I fell for it and clicked through. Turns out that its a site that posts fake stories for laughs.

Worse than a Rick Astley video.

NASCAR: Tony Stewart To Announce Retirement From Auto Racing After Accident That Kills Competing Driver | Empire News
1979 911 SC
Old 08-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #126

Geez...mixing up all that adrenalin, testosterone, HP, speed, and low visibility its amazing that this doesn't happen every race.

I think it caused poor judgement on both parties and the result although unexpected was probably inevitable eventually.
(That someone was going to get seriously injured during a race)

Quote:
It's almost like the entire forum is from Canada.....

So sorry, no, my bad....

Please forgive me...

As a matter of fact I do come from the cold white north originally as do many others in the southern states. You can only take so much of the white stuff before you cave!:ah:

Didn't you know the the US is actually 15% populated by the funniest Canadians. Where did you think the US gets its polite people from?

Only problem integrating is the racial jokes, I found out that those don't fly well here at all and with all the guns around those jokes may not end well.

Shall I tell you the story of Nantuk and I?
Jim Carrey - Canada - YouTube
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-15-2014 at 12:12 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #127

Here's my dad's take on it, he's a DE driver/instructor for AMG/Mercedes.

I see these accidents on the track all the time, then try to figure out why it happened. But I was not there to see this one so I can't say how it went. But we have to yell at newcomers all the time to stay in your car after any accident unless it is on fire. The safety gear in the car will protect you from harm, to get out of a car and stand on the track is beyond stupidity. No racer would ever run over some other racer on purpose. IMHO. :-)

He's got more track time then most of us on this forum, so figured his two cents would be interesting.

And, no, even he doesn't get to drive my car.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #128

Canada does produce a lot of comedians/funny people. Let's face it, you have to have a sense of humour to put up with all this white stuff we get!

My apologies for going a bit off topic. Sorry.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
This hoax reporting that Tony Stewart was going to retire was posted online. If you see it, ignore it.
He may not retire but the guy we once knew who grabbed Harvick's wife's butt right in front of Kevin, the guy raced in these sprint races hard like they were a NASCAR race, the guy who basically raced with fire in his belly (and brain) is definitely done. Which makes me wonder if he can race any other way. Can you imagine ever seeing Tony Stewart in another deliberate on-track wreck or brawl? tossing another helmet? I don't think the reaction would be good...
This all makes me think of former F1 driver Stefan Johansson after he killed (or was involved with however you look at it) Jeff Krosnoff and a track worker while attempting a pass at the end of the Toronto street race. Johansson was roughly the same age Stewart is now when those guys died. He entered a few sports car races but basically stayed behind the scenes as a team owner.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-15-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #130
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

Shall I tell you the story of Nantuk and I?
Jim Carrey - Canada - YouTube
Nanook No NO!, don't be a naughty Eskimo

and of course, Don't eat yellow snow
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #131
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
He may not retire but the guy we once knew who grabbed Harvick's wife's butt right in front of Kevin, the guy raced in these sprint races hard like they were a NASCAR race, the guy who basically raced with fire in his belly (and brain) is definitely done. Which makes me wonder if he can race any other way. Can you imagine ever seeing Tony Stewart in another deliberate on-track wreck or brawl? tossing another helmet? I don't think the reaction would be good...
This all makes me think of former F1 driver Stefan Johansson after he killed (or was involved with however you look at it) Jeff Krosnoff and a track worker while attempting a pass at the end of the Toronto street race. Johansson was roughly the same age Stewart is now when those guys died. He entered a few sports car races but basically stayed behind the scenes as a team owner.
The reason I clicked through to that fake story is that I thought that it sounded quite plausible for the very reasons that you mention. TS might retire after all, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
1979 911 SC
Old 09-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #132
I am my own mechanic....

Cloud over Stewart's future remains as case goes to grand jury
Old 09-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #133
Certified Boxster Addict

No one wants to be the guy who let's TS off and no one wants to be the guy who charges TS with a crime.

Soooooooooo, let's have the Grand Jury decide, that way no one has to take a beating in the media.
1979 911 SC
Old 09-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #134

Ts

First I should say that I have been to many dirt track races. As a crew member and a fan.
When a big time driver comes to a small town track it`s a big deal.Fans who normally don`t go to this track will come to see him or her not the rest of the field.
Anyway, there is an unwritten rule not to mess with him or her as the grandstand is full and they want to see him or her put on a show.Race them hard but .Respect. Kind of like the "Don`t hit Gretzky " rule.
That kid was racing Tony and knew he was inside of him. He also knew the Tony would try to make the pass. All the kid had to do was lift let him go and follow Tony into three. On a regular show night the kid would of and should of done what he did.But not that night. There were no extra points to beat Tony. I`m not saying let him win , not at all but this was a different show.The kid gambled and lost. Tony doesn`t and wasn`t going to lift.
Why did he get out ? Has he done this in the past ?
Tony knew there was a wreck but probably didn`t expect the kid to get that close.
Where were the safety crews ? Did Tony try to toss some dirt on him ? Did Ward`s inexperience get the best of him ? Youtube is full of videos of am drivers getting out of their cars and dukin` it out. Sometimes these things are " discussed " between the haulers after the race. Kid wasn`t going to do that. A career ender if he did. Unfortunate way to learn to stay in your GD car.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold

Last edited by Xpit77; 09-18-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: small add
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #135

I saw an episode of Law & Order once, where the cops were talking to a doctor who was performing a procedure on a coma patient of the opposite sex. They asked him "aren't you supposed to have an extra person in the room for protection?" and the Dr replied "The extra person is here for *my* protection so I don't get falsely accused of anything, and I don't need it since this patient is in a coma". To me the rule of "Don't get out of the car on a hot track unless you are on fire" is kind of like that. Sadly, when Ward got out of the car, his life was potentially forfeit. When he ran over to Tony, and the unfortunate incident occurred, that would not have happened if he had stayed in the car. Now Tony is left behind and has to live with it and the possible consequences. Since Ward paid such a high price for his part of it, Tony is too 9even if not convicted having to live with it seems like a high penalty)

I also saw a video analysis that shows the right-rear of Tony's car dropping down, and it suggested that Ward hopped on to Tony's car and rode along for a short distance before falling off and getting run over. It showed a few blobs that purported to show Ward's hands and feet holding on to the car. Very blurry and hard to see but it is a theory I suppose.

Last edited by steved0x; 09-17-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typos
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post

I also saw a video analysis that shows the right-rear of Tony's car dropping down, and it suggested that Ward hopped on to Tony's car and rode along for a short distance before falling off and getting run over. It showed a few blobs that purported to show Ward's hands and feet holding on to the car. Very blurry and hard to see but it is a theory I suppose.

Well only one of the two guys that know what actually happened is still alive.
It's kind of like the "stand your ground" law that way. Without clear as day video evidence the guy who lives through the confrontation has the overwhelming power of reasonable doubt behind him since he can spin the tale without another witness to contradict him.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #137
I am my own mechanic....

Grand Jury:

No charges for Tony Stewart, Kevin Ward was under the influence of Marijuana.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #138
Damn Yankee

Garage
Never saw THAT coming!

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #139

Quote:
Grand Jury:

No charges for Tony Stewart, Kevin Ward was under the influence of Marijuana.
Wow, that would explain the stupidity of wandering around on a live track. Can't believe no one noticed Ward was that high before the race and stopped his going out there.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Wow, that would explain the stupidity of wandering around on a live track. Can't believe no one noticed Ward was that high before the race and stopped his going out there.
High or THC in his system? Maybe he got high 3 weeks before the race...

just sayin'