Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #1

Garage
are boxsters reliable?

These twin 04 anniversary editions just completed 6K miles in 2 weeks. Much of the time in 100 to 110 degrees temp at speed. One has 66, ooo and the other over 90,000 miles on the clock. Not a hiccup from either one. A quick oil change and they are ready to go again.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #2

Modern water-cooled Porsches are reliable. But they are not durable when driven in extreme climates for many years. You realize the difference between reliable and durable when the mechanic hands you a suspension over-haul bill that is enough to buy you a pair of old but still kicking Miatas.

Speaking of Miatas, they can absorb the same extreme weather abuse and never leave you stranded on the road or the track. I only wish they'd made a bigger mid-engine version similar in size and proportion to the Boxster.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #3

Garage
I'm on both sides of the fence here.
My boxster has proven itself reliable but in the back of my head I'm expecting it to stop running at any time
Drove a 2200 miles trip over several days a few month back
Day one - 950 miles 90 degree temps. Stop for gas only

Coming home:
550 miles single day
Next day 450 miles up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway ( I was pushing it showing little mercy trying to get to the end in a day)
Last day was a simple 350 miles except when I got in stop and go traffic the last 60 miles

Not a single issue. It performed flawlessly.

BUT - I was nervous and constantly checking my temp gauge, listening for any little sound pretty much the whole time.

The last 50 miles on the Parkway I was so nervous I bailed to get on the highway to get to my motel. Reason, it was getting dark, I had no cell service, it was raining, I was going back up into the mountains, no traffic with nothing but Lions, tigers and bears.
All I could think was this is when this car is going to break and this is not where I want to be.

The mountains did put the final straw in my aged suspension which I am slowly replace componets

It does seem the longer the drives the better it runs
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #4

I got mine at 55k miles 2 years ago and Daily drive it, no issues till the AOS went out at 72k miles, and it has been offline for 2 months while the hessitation thing gets sorted out. The AOS replacement itself was no big deal.

So yaa, its 100% reliable until if fails.
Once it does it could either be a quick fix or a mysterious issue like any other car.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

In general, the 986 Boxster is highly reliable.

At this point in time the fleet of 986 models is 10-15 years old and many cars have well over 100,000 miles so component failures would be expected to become more common and even grow going into the future as the fleet accumulates more miles and continues to age.

Of course, each car has its own unique reliability history and some of the less reliable cars are truly painful to read about. However, these are relatively rare and need to be taken in context with the overall averages for the entire fleet of more than 200,000 cars.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-28-2014 at 12:21 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

It's like being asked if your supermodel girlfriend is high maintenance. Of course she is but you try to rationalized that she is not....and at the end of the day who really cares because it's worth it!
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
It's like being asked if your supermodel girlfriend is high maintenance. Of course she is but you try to rationalized that she is not....and at the end of the day who really cares because it's worth it!
until it/she isn't worth the hassle and the new model comes along...
Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

A Boxster is 100% reliable until it isn't.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #9

No. Subject closed. Mr. Obvious is any car reliable? Dude, you've been around here for a while.

If you want to find out what the Achilles heals of the boxster is, the search function and lots of time is your friend. I won't waste my time. Googlate IMSB, water pump, oil starvation. Get back to us in a month after your research.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
until it/she isn't worth the hassle and the new model comes along...
You either give the existing one a face lift or go with the newer one. Since it's just a car most just go with the new one.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
A Boxster is 100% reliable until it isn't.
But then again they all are
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Indestructable and reliable, men's best friend!

I think I told you already, mountainman from little Switzerland, you "Billboard Boxster" looks awesome!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
You either give the existing one a face lift or go with the newer one. Since it's just a car most just go with the new one.
Well the first 70K miles of my Boxster S were hands down the most reliable of any car I'd owned that long. My Miata with lots of modifications was more bullet proof but I didn't rack nearly as many miles on it since it was primarily a weekend autocrosser.

Now once we hit that 70K mile mark it was time to trade in the old lady for the new model or stick with the known quantity. Which obviously meant a very large investment of time at the shop with major maintenance. The rub was that the timing was not the best since it was at the height of the financial crisis. Do I really want to buy another low mileage Porsche when half the people I know are getting s%*t canned? Or do I do these big repairs as they come along? I guess in the end I figured if the car was this reliable in the first 70K miles, well then maybe being proactive about major maintenance items might mean similar for the next 70K... and without losing half my investment to depreciation.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Indestructable and reliable, men's best friend!

I think I told you already, mountainman from little Switzerland, you "Billboard Boxster" looks awesome!
I really need to make it next year haha.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
recycledsixtie

Garage
Is the Boxster reliable? Overall yes but if you don't replace stuff sheet happens.Even if you don't replace stuff sheet happens.

With my Box laid up with Code P1341 (cam deviation) unless I wan't to destroy it. I am personally without a car right now as it waits for parts and a determined plan of action.

At 45k miles my 2001 Box base is prematurely aged(kind of like myself at age 68).Driving my wife's Camry is no substitute. I have been told that a BMW off warranty can be more $$$$$$. So I am sticking with the plan as it is 3 months before the snow flies.....
G.

Have been considering an suv but the Macan at $70k does not do it for me....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #16

Older BMW

I have a 98 323 IS E36, when I got the car from a friend who bought it new it needed several things. Brakes, Plugs,HVAC FSU and Blower Motor, Radiator and Water Pump "Curse of the E36 at 75K". The interior was sad as the headliner had fallen down. I repaired everything and I mean everything for about 1K$, that was 3 years ago and at 145K miles it is dependable as the 2013 Honda CRV in my driveway. Never a drop of oil used, never a drop of anything on the driveway but condensation from the AC when running.

I would drive it anywhere and ridiculously easy to work on
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
Beginner

Garage
No .