Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 AM   #1

Garage
Well.....I'm saying goodbye, it's been a blast!

With a heavy heart, I'm saying goodbye. I have sold my beloved 986. It was an AWESOME car that honesly didn't give me any real trouble and was a total blast to drive. I hated to let her go but an opportunity came up for me to aquire a car that I've wanted for a very long time. I purchased a BMW Z3 M Roadster with only 35k, one owner and all documented records from BMW (they even got the car detailed by BMW every year). There were only a little over 10,000 total M roadsters sold in North America, so my search has been long going. I'm very perticular about my cars so when this pristine M came my way I had to jump on it. You guys have been great and I will miss this site. This is one of the best auto forums I've ever been involved with. HAPPY MOTORING TO YOU ALL!

Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #2

You don't have to leave! We will gladly badger you about your M car while you reminisce over all of our Porsches! JK! Good luck and thats a nice car!! I was able to drive one a hardtop one a few years back! M Coupe I think it was called?
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #3

Garage
Make sure you keep an eye on the infamous rear sub-frame weld cracking issue on those cars! Other than that those are awesome little cars All the best and safe driving.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #4

An M Roadster

Wow what a find, truly a rare automobile. I have only had my 986 just over a year but my other car is a 98 323IS Coupe, I am just now discovering the similarities between these two cars and it quite astounding how much they share in common.

Good luck with the awesome "M"

Post some results and check out the best BMW forum...very much like this
M series

forum....lots of great people

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #5

Garage
I hope you enjoy the new car, I guess I am null to the rarity since z3s are about as common as civics in the upstate. They actually had a very cheap lease program available for all the factory workers. Anyways, being a car honestly built by the hands of many of my friends fathers, you have a great car, and a great example of a great car. Happy motoring.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #6

Garage
And next time around... Go for a z8 haha. (The z8 is what got me interested in roadsters when I was very young.)
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #7

Not just a Z3

A Z3 M

a special car
Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #8

Garage
Well Meat, as an owner of both a 986 and a Z4M, I do wish you the best of luck with your new purchase. I personally *thought* I'd like the Z4 a LOT better than the old 986, but turns out I actually like driving the Porsche way more than the Z. Keep an eye out for your next 986 :-)
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #9

Garage
These were the first of the M Series cars that BMW let be built outside of their main plant, correct ? It's the one that the folks SC proved they could do.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post
With a heavy heart, I'm saying goodbye. I have sold my beloved 986. It was an AWESOME car that honesly didn't give me any real trouble and was a total blast to drive. I hated to let her go but an opportunity came up for me to aquire a car that I've wanted for a very long time. I purchased a BMW Z3 M Roadster with only 35k, one owner and all documented records from BMW (they even got the car detailed by BMW every year). There were only a little over 10,000 total M roadsters sold in North America, so my search has been long going. I'm very perticular about my cars so when this pristine M came my way I had to jump on it. You guys have been great and I will miss this site. This is one of the best auto forums I've ever been involved with. HAPPY MOTORING TO YOU ALL!
You will be back someday...

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #11

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
You will be back someday...
I have a 323IS and I drove my good friends 2012 Z4 when she got it. When it was time to buy my open top roadster I drove a Boxster S and that was it.

Dwight
Old 06-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #12

Keep an eye on that rear subframe, but nontheless congrats on the awesome car. I was torn between one of those and my boxster whn I was first looking for a new toy. Definitely still a very nice carthough and very well maintained!

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Love me some M Roadsters. Good luck!
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Once a Boxster owner, always a Boxster owner. See you back here in two years. Tops.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
I am my own mechanic....

Did you at least pass along our contact info to the new owner? It would be cool to see a thread called " so I bought Meat Head's car"....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:07 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Did you at least pass along our contact info to the new owner? It would be cool to see a thread called " so I bought Meat Head's car"....

YES! I told them all about this site. I explaned to the new owners how valuable this forum can be. I hope they listen to me and become members.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
These were the first of the M Series cars that BMW let be built outside of their main plant, correct ? It's the one that the folks SC proved they could do.
This is correct. However, the "M" Z3s were mostly just assembled in SC. The engine and most of the major components of the "M" cars were assembled in Germany and then shipped to the US.

BTW, I'm totally aware of the rear sub-frame issues on the Z3s. The sub-frame usually isn't a problem unless the car has been tracked alot and my car was purchased new by a lady in here late 50s (I gave the car a thorough inspection anyhow). I'm actually more knowledgeable on the Z3 M than the 986 Porsche. The funny thing is I was on the hunt for a Z3 M when I got side tracked by my 986. I'm very glad that I took the opportunity to own my 986, I LOVED IT!

My 986 was my 3rd Porsche and by far my favorite. There is a very good chance I will own another one in the future but not until there is room in my garage for two roadsters (I have two teenagers that soon will be leaving the nest LOL). The Z3 M is an investment car as there were only a little over 10,000 sold in the US and only 15,000 manufactured total. These cars, if kept in excellent condition, will go up in value. It is already very hard to find a nice one and if you do, it wont be cheap.

Last edited by Meat Head; 06-20-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:34 AM   #18

Enjoy your new Car Meathead

I think you will find a lot of folks on both boards have BMW and Porsche in their stables. I have been a BMW owner for years but just over a year for my Porsche. I have just started doing projects on my Boxster and cannot believe how similar the two are in mechanical design and construction.

Dont be a stranger, hang a Porsche air freshener in the new M Car and post something about it here ;-)

Dwight
Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post

What year did you pick up? I had a z coupe a few years back. I love those cars! I'd love to find an s54 vesion and a pot of gold to buy it with! They're getting up there
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #20

Meat Head, it would be interesting to get a 986 drivers perspective on the M3 and what differences and comparisons you can draw, first impressions etc.

Come back and visit us now and then to share your experiences.

I also believe you'll be looking for a Boxster again in a couple years once the novelty of owning something new and rare has worn off.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote