Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #21
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I have yet to go to the dealer for service but I will go for parts sometimes. Living in Canada means paying through the nose for shipping/duties/brokerage fees for a $100 part which one might order through ECS, or Pelican, or other US based suppliers. The parts guys at Prestige Porsche are helpful and friendly, but really on the older cars, it's just a matter of $ and sense!

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #22

Just back from the dealership this am. Had an oil change coupon for $91.xx, so I figured what the heck, setting up and doing it costs me at least 90min and the materials cost me about $56-65, so $27 for 1.5 hr of my time (not counting getting sweaty/greasy and changing clothes) seemed like a deal.

It took them about the same 90 min. The bill was $120.xx by the time they added $19 for "shop supplies" (expensive porche oil rags?) and tax, but I didn't protest the bait and swap price since they threw in a basic exterior wash. The service cover for the seat had been loosely refolded on the passenger seat, suggesting it had been used.

Got to my next destination and found a new small glob of black stuff on the driver side door carpet. It looked wet, but when I went to blot it with a napkin, it just smeared.
So, after my first appointment, I went back. The service mgr came out, looked, called to the back to get it cleaned, then addressed it himself with a towel and his secret cleaning weapon (eyeglass cleaner). Good result & I was on my way again.

So, in summary
price A-
promptness A
cleanliness C
professionalism/courtesy A+

Doubt would be any different for a 911 of same vintage.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #23

The dealership here in Winnipeg has an immaculately clean shop and they have exceeded my expectations both in quality and cost both times I have gone there. The parts guy isn't the sharpest spike in the pit, but the service department rocks.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:51 AM   #24
I am my own mechanic....

Brought '04 Boxster S Special Edition in for brake fluid flush / bleed Friday, 8AM. Got car back by noon. Had ordered rear pads to install later that day. When rear tires were removed, I found that there was a huge puddle of brake fluid on the inside of each rim with a large smear mark where someone made a half-hearted attempt to do even basic clean up. This mess required brake cleaner to dissolve it and made my 'just washed' tires and rims a mess that took considerable time to clean up. Front rims are still dirty from the brake fluid. It was also splashed on the outside of the rims. Last, all bleeder valves were wet with brake fluid, not just some residue. Does Porsche not own a rag? Is this the same service a 2012 911 gets? Why not simply remove the wheels for 3 minutes each? Very sloppy work for a Porsche dealership. Makes me feel that there are definitely two teams at work (911 vs 986 and older teams) or new guys work on older cars. I really expected better treatment of my car.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #25
I am my own mechanic....

Hi Tim, I am sorry that the wheels was not clean, if you want to bring vehicle back and I will have wheels and vehicle clean up. It should take about 1 hour. Please let me know and again I am sorry that wheels and brake calipers was not clean.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #26
Luckyed

Garage
When I bought my '07 Cayman S (in '07) I was told by the salesman that "anytime I needed to leave my car for service I would be given a P-car to drive."
Yeah.....about that......
During the entire 4 years I had the car (during which time it was ONLY serviced at the dealer) I was NEVER given a Porsche to drive while my Cayman S was in for service.
In every instance I was walked next door to the Audi dealership they also owned and given an Enterprise "rental loaner"......
Otherwise, the workmanship, cleanliness and professionalism were top notch.
Since I am 45 miles from there, I am using a VERY good local shop for my '01 Box.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #27
I am my own mechanic....

GM of Strong Porsche offered a free detail. Totally fine with this. Replied 10 minutes after I took the survey they emailed today.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #28

I bet someone got their butt chewed!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
GM of Strong Porsche offered a free detail. Totally fine with this. Replied 10 minutes after I took the survey they emailed today.
I'm glad they came though for you Timco, figured they would. They are in the business of customer satisfaction and this proves it.

While luckily I do all of my own work and may come off hypocritical here but I kind of get miffed when people continually refer to dealerships as "stealerships". No doubt the indy shops can usually do it cheaper but more often than not the P-Car dealerships pave the way for lower cost options to exist by training those entrepreneurial indy shop owners.

Both have their place in the market, a large percentage of new P-car purchasers would not even consider anything else. Luckily for elcheapo used P-car purchasers such as myself they exist as do these forums which enable many of us to work on and enjoy what otherwise would be out of reach financially. All's well that ends well.........
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #30

And they deserve to get their butts chewed out too......

The other problem is it takes a couple of weeks for the clear coat / paint to lift off the area around the caliper bleed nipples after they have been doused with brake fluid. If the paint has been affected and peels off, the OPC should pay for repairs too.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 06-11-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:27 AM   #31

Garage
Maybe the dealership I deal with is above and beyond but I have never had an issue or felt slighted by them. About 6 months after my purchase from a private source some one hit my rear end the car was repaired at the dealership. The day the car was supposed to be finished and wasn't I got a new Mercedes 300 4-matic for the remainder of the repair time.

I get and fill out the survey every time. Only ever complained once and got 20% off the parts on that service. I get my track inspections and state inspections there and an alignment every year. Because I am a local PCA member and on the DE network track inspections are $50 each and the alignments are under $100. parts are 10% above dealer cost. I am always offered a ride I even be offered car pickup drop off service.

This dealer is Porsche Audi Mercedes and BMW on three joined lots.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote