Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

Litronic problems

I just got called outside to look at the car , 2003 2.7 tip .
Apparently front lights not working .
When I turned them on they just flickered a few times then went off .
After about 3-4 goes they came on and stayed on .
One more try , and they were deemed ok enough for her to make a quick 1mile return trip .
No problems reported on the trip , so I've just been out to do a quick check ...
Lights turned on , key turned to right but car not started . Litronics came on , dipped down , made a noise as if they didn't stop , then came back up to normal position .
I thought they were supposed to go down , then up , then return to normal position ?
I tried it a couple of times and both times they came on no problem , but did the same sequence .
It is parked on an up-hill driveway if that makes any difference ?
One more thing , with the ignition off and lights on , it only had rear lights and side markers lit .
Fog lights , indicators , high-beams all working ok .
Any pointers appreciated before I waste all my day off tommorow on it
Thanks

Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Both flicker? Key switch or light switch?

One? Ballast.

Mine drop and raise once on startup. Only marker light bulbs light up with car off.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:39 AM   #3

When I first got mine they wouldn't light up every time I turned them on, was fixed with a new headlamp switch. The not starting sounds like the electrical part of the ignition switch.

In between the time I ordered the new headlamp switch and it came in, I used electrical cleaner and shot it inside the headlamp switch and rotated it through the positions. It got much better. The headlamp switch is easy to get out, worth a try, it is documented in the 101projects book/site.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys .

Tim , what do you mean by "marker lights" ? And yes it was both lights doing it , which makes me want to look at shared components first , switch fuse relay etc.

Steve , the car starts fine but I wasn't starting it to check the lights last night just turning it on .

I'll start looking at it some time this morning .
Hopefully it will reproduce the fault .
I hate fixing a fault that not there !!!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #5

Can't help much , as I never had this problem. But...Start the car. My factory Litronics turn off the main beam when I shut the engine off, just leaving the much dimmer halfmoon lit.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #6

Just wanted to update on this ..

I just got called out front again as they didn't come on just now .
Following advice given earlier in this thread , I had done a little research into the headlight switch .
So I went out and turned them on and off about 10 times , and still nothing .
So I did the other "trick" I had read about ... Pulled out the switch so fogs came on then banged it in with the heel of my hand .
HEY VIOLA !!!! Instant light

I could have been pro-active and used contact cleaner as I use it at work ,but wanted the fault to reappear first so I could diagnose . (Plus , I'm very lazy)

Ignition switch was changed out to an Audi one last year , and I guess I should have done the lightswitch at the same time ....

I'll get one ordered tomorrow .

Thanks for the help guys , and a big thanks to whoever wrote about the "heel of the hand" trick that I read on here a week or so ago