Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #81
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
impounding the car of American while the gubimint decide what to do is tantamount to an act of totalitarian, fascism, Satanism, flag-burning, and puppy-kicking all rolled into one. China is a very different place but that much is obvious.

Cars are only impounded here generally if you have an obscene number of parking tickets or if you kill someone like a cyclist (which happened to a colleague of mine) requiring a mechanical inspection of your brakes.
Or if drugs are found.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #82

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Satanism..... lolll

So in all traffic accident cases the police officier's last word is, what it is (solid). Interesting. Looks like friend Jake there is safe then

Then still doesn't make sense to me why any party would need to hire a lawyer. I was convinced the insuranceCo' adjuster had a black book in hand and was quoting accordingly - in case of total loss anyway. Lawyers or not, not sure with what they could assist.

Re repairs, that's defined by the adjuster as well or they normally leave it to an insusranceCo' appointed bodyshop to quote? or is that the same..... confusing

15+ years driving - never been in any accident (touching wood with one hand, typing with the other)

The insurance companies now see themselves and their stockholders as the most important people to be protected.

Either party can hire a lawyer to handle the claim in what is called Civil Court. If some one had been ticketed, it would be handled in Criminal Court. Major differences in the two courts can be best be summed up in the OJ Simpson murder cases. He was found Not Guilty in criminal court, but held liable for the deaths in civil court.

Most policies state that if your at fault, they will only pay what their preferred repair shop says it will cost. There is more leeway when someone has hit your car.

In this case, it does not work well for the insurance company to find Jake at fault. If they do, they pay his repair, and the Bronco repairs. If the Bronco is at fault, they likely do not have comprehensive, so they only pay Jakes repair. However, if they find both at fault, they pay Jakes repair minus the deductible. I see them try to make the latter stick.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
The insurance companies now see themselves and their stockholders as the most important people to be protected.

Either party can hire a lawyer to handle the claim in what is called Civil Court. If some one had been ticketed, it would be handled in Criminal Court. Major differences in the two courts can be best be summed up in the OJ Simpson murder cases. He was found Not Guilty in criminal court, but held liable for the deaths in civil court.

Most policies state that if your at fault, they will only pay what their preferred repair shop says it will cost. There is more leeway when someone has hit your car.

In this case, it does not work well for the insurance company to find Jake at fault. If they do, they pay his repair, and the Bronco repairs. If the Bronco is at fault, they likely do not have comprehensive, so they only pay Jakes repair. However, if they find both at fault, they pay Jakes repair minus the deductible. I see them try to make the latter stick.
top quality, understood... thx

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-08-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #84

I get it... the bronco guy doesn't have that 'comprehensive' option and fight to have Jake at fault

So that's why this Bronco dude is making a lot of noise (I was really wondering why?!). Here the insurance co doesn't allow drivers on the roads without this "comprehensive" little addition. You just have no choice to get/pay it

So not only Jake stole his GF (mentioned in previous post) and never got well with him, in a way he also managed to trash his bronco and its' owner's wallet on that one. Bad Bad Bad Jake lol

I wouldn't look for a lawyer if I were Jake.... I would invest this money into finding a real BIGjake for personal protection for a few weeks

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-08-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #85

Quote:

Then still doesn't make sense to me why any party would need to hire a lawyer. I was convinced the insuranceCo' adjuster had a black book in hand and was quoting accordingly - in case of total loss anyway. Lawyers or not, not sure with what they could assist.
Because lawyers here know how to work the insurance adjusters who make out the checks. They're more like 'inside men' who have been down this road countless times. They know what is an outrageous claim and what is a reasonable one. They may reach out to a Porsche shop and ask them to provide an appraisal of what an old Porsche is worth and then forward that to the adjuster to refute. My own indy did this for a 944 that caught fire or something but was fully covered by the owner. The owner was able to get a higher pay out than what the standard valuation for a 20+ year old car would be. 986's are not quiet 20 years old yet but values can vary wildly in the our markets depending on region, condition and supply. My take is that a person filing a claim like this entirely on their own expecting the best price possible is going to get screwed.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #86

Quote:
Because lawyers here know how to work the insurance adjusters who make out the checks. They're more like 'inside men' who have been down this road countless times. They know what is an outrageous claim and what is a reasonable one. They may reach out to a Porsche shop and ask them to provide an appraisal of what an old Porsche is worth and then forward that to the adjuster to refute. My own indy did this for a 944 that caught fire or something but was fully covered by the owner. The owner was able to get a higher pay out than what the standard valuation for a 20+ year old car would be. 986's are not quiet 20 years old yet but values can vary wildly in the our markets depending on region, condition and supply. My take is that a person filing a claim like this entirely on their own expecting the best price possible is going to get screwed.
You'd think the common citizen, insured driver, would have a concise and detailed policy in a written format handed over by his insurance company at that price (saying that, I'm realizing I don't myself). That could help in avoiding being screwed by the insurers or getting slammed by additional legal fees.

The problem is likely to be same as elsewhere.... having just too many insurance companies, policies, catches, some scammers, to be able to feel fully insured these days :/

Feel really bad for Jake on that one... school kid with a Porsche car. How cool is that.... not the type of event you want to see happening to him (to anyone of course)

HE IS GOING TO WIN ANYWAY. GO-GO JAKE (screw the insurance mood thing... kick his arse bigjake style lol)
Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #87

Garage
They came to take photos of the car in the driveway today, said likely totalled, the appraiser also said that the reason why the other is likely fighting it is because it happened on private property and he did not get a citation and there is possibly not a full police report, rather just one saying the other individual is at fault. The money for aprasil will not be paid out at all until liability is taken care of. The other kids parents work bail bonds as I said and have likely found out that they have the slightest fighting chance because it is on private property. The kid is also trying to claim I moved my car to sway the cop, but the photos taken today will likely prove otherwise... An issue here is that both parties do not only have the same in co but we even have the same adjuster working with both of us. If I was hit any normal individual this would be likely resolved rather not only got hit by a student but one that can't stand me and has a decent portion of the student body wrapped around his finger.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post

If they somehow say I am guilty, the bronco people will likely not even pay their deductible as all the car needs is a stupid new bumper.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #89

Garage
Just called the agent apparently no full police reports from private property, so f* me. He was shaking in his boots and stuttering about when we mentioned an attorney. Big lesson here is for everyone to call a cop in the case of an altercation and if their is not a citation make sure the officer makes a full report or something in order to protect you.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
If they somehow say I am guilty, the bronco people will likely not even pay their deductible as all the car needs is a stupid new bumper.
Jake, you can't be responsible, it's a private property and there is no official report in neither of your hands (serious?). Seems this is only going to be settled 50/50 and someone is not telling you and watching the show. What's up with that man
Old 05-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Just called the agent apparently no full police reports from private property, so f* me. He was shaking in his boots and stuttering about when we mentioned an attorney. Big lesson here is for everyone to call a cop in the case of an altercation and if their is not a citation make sure the officer makes a full report or something in order to protect you.
This makes me want to puke, and buy you another BRAND spanking new car mate

feel ya from the other side of that globe
Old 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #92

Garage
Quote:
Jake, you can't be responsible, it's a private property and there is no official report in neither of your hands (serious?). Seems this is only going to be settled 50/50 and someone is not telling you and watching the show. What's up with that man
Oh yes at the least i will not be guilty, and it will be 50/50 but he needs to be held liable for failing to yeild to right away, we are planning to contact the corproal who we personally know about this and we just talked with our adjuster which it appears it was a misunderstanding on our agent that the adjuster is working with both sides because our adjuster happened to take their statement and theirs took mine it made things slightly complicated, but we do have our own adjuster and she said all they are waiting for at this time is photos of the other parties car, which i just hope he has not altered since the scene.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #93

Garage
Did you take pictures of the Bronco right after the accident? That would be helpful.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #94

Garage
Quote:
This makes me want to puke, and buy you another BRAND spanking new car mate
I will take that offer haha but thanks for your concern and all hopefully if things are not resolved reliability wise tomorrow it will be by Monday.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #95

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Did you take pictures of the Bronco right after the accident? That would be helpful.
I have photos of my car with the bronco and its damages in the background... and also showing where the cars stood after the accident.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #96

Garage
Essentally in the case of a He Said/She said.... all you have to do to get out of responsibility in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is to lie Still hoping the photos of his car prove him guilty but people are saying that you will most likely have to have a lawyer in the case of a he said she said..... and after that you could end up with your car fixed and your insurance not skyrocketing but you still are out how ever many thousand you pay the lawyer.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #97

Garage
So on further research.... "private property meaning that tax dollars are not used to keep the property up" Being a school it technically is not private property!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #98

I don't see how one adjuster can pursuit the interests of both parties equally. Even if for the sake of appearances they would need an adjuster appointed to each party, although this would be a wash since they have the same boss...

I'm not sure if a police report is so vital here. It doesn't matter if your car was past him or not.
The burden is always on the person pulling out of a parking spot. The fact that this much damage was done to the rear car strongly points towards a situation where the reversing car was very late on the brake or wasn't looking until he felt the impact. Hence his policy should bear all costs.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #99

Garage
Quote:
I don't see how one adjuster can pursuit the interests of both parties equally. Even if for the sake of appearances they would need an adjuster appointed to each party, although this would be a wash since they have the same boss...

He was not backing out he was illegally parked parallel to the thruway and essentially a if he was parallel parked came out as I was going by.
I'm not sure if a police report is so vital here. It doesn't matter if your car was past him or not.
The burden is always on the person pulling out of a parking spot. The fact that this much damage was done to the rear car strongly points towards a situation where the reversing car was very late on the brake or wasn't looking until he felt the impact. Hence his policy should bear all costs.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #100

Unlike others, I am a man of relatively few words. Per prior posts.....Get / Depose Witnesses, Police Report, then Lawyer. The longer you wait the muddier it will get.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote