Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #21

You guys are very ambitious

Last edited by Nine8Six; 04-24-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #22

I'd say this is done with a semi-soft sanding block (manual), starting slow with #100 up to #whatever. Gradually getting good at curving your block to meet that final organic curve is what you want. No quick way unless you are on your 1000 pcs run (manufacturer).

Put anything electric in there and you'll possibly need a new eye as much as some not-so-cheap headlights.

My 2cents

Last edited by Nine8Six; 04-24-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #23
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 04-25-2014 at 12:02 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #24

Garage
What the heck did I miss?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #25
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Some of those guys on the 996 forum are quite uppity and full of themselves. Can you believe that one actually PMed me to tell me how stupid this was and how my mods in general are "ghetto"?
A well established member, too

I tried not to take it personal but it kinda bummed me out, so I'm going to take some time off to think things over...

Last edited by particlewave; 04-24-2014 at 05:49 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Some of those guys on the 996 forum are quite uppity and full of themselves. Can you believe that one actually PMed me to tell me how stupid this was and how my mods in general are "ghetto"?

I tried not to take it personal but it kinda bummed me out, so I'm going to take some time off to think things over...
At times i disagree with what others do with their cars but that is just it... it is THEIR car. As for your mods though i do really like them, sorry to hear about that.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #27
Registered Boxster abuser

Sorry you feel that way.

I guess it is part of being on a forum. There are always people who think they are above everyone else and have to voice it. Unfortunately these people tend to also be the people who are the established members. It is what it is. you either grow thicker skin and let it run off, not participate, or succumb to the way they want you to act.

Look at JD, I'm sure he gets more than his share of the abuse. Sure some people think he asks for it, but to me he stands proud of what he says and does on this forum. So should you. You put in your part and there are plenty of people here who appreciate what you do for the forum.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #28

I would have loved to see it. Based on your analysis it appears that it's feasible. Please post. Just think about the abuse and criticism JR got and he created and has given the 9x6 community a wealth of information and help on these motors.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #29

Aww C'mon!! Show it to us dang it!!! You've cracked the code and some douche is getting you down l? Who the fark is he? The curator of the Porsche museum of fine and exquisite tastes?

If experience has taught me anything is that those guys spend more time judging each other than any other car I can think of. This 911 isnt as cool as that one. Ours are the last real 911's. Bla bla bla. Then they get into endless fights within their own tribe. It's like a daily soap opera. At least the track/GT3 guys lay down an ocasional bet or track day challenge to back up their keyboard war mongering.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:

Ah, just ignore.
You're having fun. You're doing a great job and providing a great service. Your 'customers' are happy, so sc&$# these self righteous buggers out there.
Keep up the good work!
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #31

Garage
Charles, you have done some excellent work on here, not everyone figured life out back in Kindergarten, that is, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything! It's too bad some feel that their opinion is the only one that counts. By the way, "mods" are really nothing but after manufacture options. Not everything Porsche comes up with is agreeable to everyone either. When I see a car driving down the street with some crazy wheels, exhaust, what have you, I may not like what they did, but I always remember that some guy came up with an idea, saved some cash, put in some labor, stood back and said "damn, that is cool!" Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #32

Might be the same member who recently PM me his longgggg vision RE the bad/wrong effects "Flipping Cars" had on today's societies. A "Car Story" lol.

Charles, remember "MadMods" ?!

A member here went as far as registering (read buying) a dot com, put up a live webpage with links to each and single of Madmods posts/threads and commented on almost each and every single one of them - generously only highlighting the ridicules of them (still up today, but most posts have been trashed). Doesn't stop there.... he registered a dummy account here, flooded MadMods' PM inbox, found out where he was working and happily sent death threat to his employer enquiry inbox. All that just for ONE thread about "a poor man's porsche".

You just never know theses days. Just shacking off a headlight a little too much on the left side can wake up some of the weirdest dude. If it is that same MadMods magnet guy then I think you are in big (BIG) trouble lollllllll
Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #33

Still subscribed.

I want to see that amber thing disappearing. Get that #100 out NOW
Old 04-25-2014, 04:07 AM   #34

Still here
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:30 AM   #35

Quote:

I'm sending a public non-pm to say don't think too long and keep sanding, I have a pair of beat up burned inner lenses victim of the "bad" hid conversion with super gunky seals ambers I will donate to the cause.

Keep sanding!! And retrofitting!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Might be the same member who recently PM me his longgggg vision RE the bad/wrong effects "Flipping Cars" had on today's societies. A "Car Story" lol.
That car flipping thread got a little crazy, but I can't believe someone actually felt the need to send you a lengthy pm on the topic, especially since it was being debated so vehemently in the open forum. I mean, what could anyone add to what had already been said? Well, I hope you feel properly admonished and have now seen the error of your ways! (I still think it has a funny side to it, and I don't care who thinks less of me for that!)

6 more weeks until Montreal - woohoo!

Last edited by Mark_T; 04-25-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #37

Particlewave! Its not like you're pasting eyelashes on them, right?

Right?!?!

Life's to short to listen to wankers... Keep up the good work!

2002 Boxster S
2006 Cayman S
N0tt0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #38
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hahaha! Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I'm not all tore up about it, just was a little taken aback. I do need a vaca, though.
TOO MANY HEADLIGHTS, LOL!!!

I'll give this another shot soon and post results. The problem is that power tools burn, melt, and warp the plastic and can also quickly make a hole.
Hand sanding would take days, so...
Old 05-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #39
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pics added back to post #1 for those who follow my insanity!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #40

Finally! I was hoping you'd bring this back up. Aside from taking a dremel to the orange part of the lens, do you think it's possible to sand away at it?

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote