Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #61

Frodo,
It's hard difficult to say that it's safe to drive the car with a bad AOS. This will depend on how bad the leak is and if it's affecting the way the nine is running. Do you have ny CEL codes? As Jäger mentioned most of us that have had AOS that have failed didn't know it untill it was already a large leak. Best advise is to have it replaced sooner than later and ont drive it untill it's been repaired. I had my failure just 6 months into ownership and didn't even know how to access the engine. Than I found this DIY bt Brad http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/18090-air-oil-seperator-write-up-5.html this used to have pictures but seems its no longer available.

I do have one tip in doing this. Most new AOS comes ith a new lower hose. The clamps that hold the hose are difficult to reach. Don't bother trying to loosen the clamp for this hose. Just cut the hose using a knife but with care o you don't damage anything else in there.

Hope this helps

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #62

The car’s runnin’ great. I did get a couple codes a couple weeks ago: P1128 and P1130, which I promptly deleted using my code reader. This was because needing to do the local NE Ohio “E-Check” (emissions testing) in order to get my new registration, and the testers’ll instantly Not-Pass you if you car’s showin’ any CELs. I DID pass, though the guy had problems getting their scanner to read the data from the car (“Did you just get some work done on this, or change the battery?” I was able to answer truthfully, with a straight face, that No---no work done, and no battery replacement. I didn’t elaborate..). But as a result of that they had to do the dyno/sniff tester on the exhaust. As I mentioned, the car passed, but he did say the hydrocarbons were elevated some---inching towards the cut-off value for passing.

I don’t know, but I assume that’s related to the two codes I got on my scanner. And though it’s not hard to remove the oil cap at idle, I definitely do hear suction sounds that are louder (and stronger) than I believe I’ve ever noticed before. So yeah, I’m gonna get the AOS replaced first chance I get. Even if that happens not to be the problem, it’s due for replacing in any case..

Thanks for the tips on AOS replacement, but like I said---I'm delegatin' this go-round. If I ever get around to puttin' Jager's kind of mileage on this car, I'll have other opportunities to utilize these suggestions myself

Last edited by Frodo; 07-24-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #63
Track rat

Garage
Interesting. My AOS never failed, 110k miles on a 98 car. I did have a smoke cloud once but it was the result of oil overfill by my trusty Porsche shop.

I misdiagnosed the problem and replaced the AOS but after cutting open the original one I found it was still in serviceable condition. Oil changes every 3000 miles and lots of track duty at various elevations. I live at 1500'. Castrol 5w40