Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #21

Having no self-leveling feature shouldn't make a big difference because our cars don't pitch much- that is unless you often carrying extra weight in the rear trunk.
Unfortunately OBERTELLI, headlights just have to light in NA, in order to be a pass. We have idiots driving around with 100 watt bulbs!

Last edited by woodsman; 03-02-2014 at 10:17 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Having no self-leveling feature shouldn't make a big difference because our cars don't pitch much- that is unless you often carrying extra weight in the rear trunk.
Unfortunately OBERTELLI, headlights just have to light in NA, in order to be a pass. We have idiots driving around with 100 watt bulbs!
In Germany it's a legal requirement that cars fitted with HID lighting have automatic leveling. They have to have headlight washing, too.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #23

We'll eventually catch up!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #24
Custom User Title Here

Garage
My gf's brand new 2014 Mazda has xenon HIDs and no self leveling. I would imagine that there are more makes/models of cars that come with HID from factory do not have any kind of leveling...? I really don't know for sure.

Having a good sharp cutoff eliminates most, if not all, color fluctuation. Correct alignment will also eliminate most "flashing" issues caused by vehicle angle.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #25

FYI the NA Honda accord and Toyota tundra are made in the USA and only sold in NA. Not sure if they have self-leveling headlights.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #26
I am my own mechanic....

Our 08 Touareg has HIDs and is not leveling.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #27

It will be big different but not $1000 different because there are other projectors that is much better than the 996 or 986 made by Hella/Bosch. I suggest sending it out for retrofitting.

I don't own those HID projection headlight (aka Litronics) but I have experience in HID projection retrofitting. In the retrofitting world, german projectors (Hella/Bosch) are not very popular, a lot of people use them because they're cheap, but the two most popular brands automaker use are Koito (Lexus & Infiniti) or Stanley (Honda/Acura).

Some of the most notable OEM brand of projectors are the Honda S2000 (Stanley), Lexus SC430 (Koito), Nissan Murano (Koito), Acura TSX (Stanley), Lexus LS430 (Koito), and Acura TL (koito). Acura TSX projector is probably the most favorite projector used by many ppl; it's small, bright, easy to fit, and uniform,

You can get better projection system by going with retrofitting and might cost less than what people are selling the Litronics for. Honestly, I have owned many different Hella projectors years ago and they're sub-par to what the Japanese car are using.

More and more car company are using Koito (projectors) and Denso (ballast) on their car. I believe all Porsche uses those combination now.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #28

It would be cool if a clever person sold the clear lens portion of the headlight so that a DIY'er could somehow dremel away the orange part and slot in the new clear part.

A third of it is already gone to make room for the triangle:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/U4YAAOxy63FSz0DZ/$_57.JPG

Seems to me that simply getting rid of the orange is mostly what the person is after.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-03-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #29
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I wouldn't even bother getting rid of the orange...I think that the projectors update the car and even make the orange look fantastic!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #30

I like the amber on the headlight; it's a nice look.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #31

My headlights are amber all the way across I never thought of changing to a clear corner lense. This may be the way to go.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #32

Litronic are something of the pass And so are the old yellow'ed halogen!

^ This. Outperforms the litronics and looking far (far far far) better
Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #33

^is that the custom CNC bezel you made? What projector/bulb/ballast did you use?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
^is that the custom CNC bezel you made? What projector/bulb/ballast did you use?
Trey, yes they are the now famous Nine8Six High Performance Bi-Xenon Projectors for Porsche 9x6 (lol).

For less than $600~$700 you get the same by shipping your old halogen headlights to Charles (Particlewave). So much better than the old litronic tech and looks hundred times better. Why would anyone decide to go for a set of $1,500 old tech lit shiners is beyond me.

A's to your questions
- Projector is the latest 2014 version of the MH1. Outperforms most factory HIDs (Mercedese, BMW, Porsche, etc)
- Bulbs are xenon/HID (H1 type)
- Ballasts are CANBUS (w/ EMC) 35 HID ballasts (low noise & low temp)
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #35

How are those morimoto (bixenon) projector compare to the popular TSX (clear), TL, or the top dawg S2000?

Benz and BMW uses Hella projectors but I believe Porsche Carrera, Boxster, Cayman all uses Japanese brand projector (Koito) and ballast now (Denso). Koito is a big player in making HID projectors.