Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #1

Garage
The Macan is quite good.

Porsche Macan Turbo tested on track - Is this the new SUV benchmark? - YouTube

I'll be honest i didnt expect it to be quite this good.. very pleased and very impressed.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

The reviewer said the 4-wheel drive system is from the Cayenne but I thought I read in Panorama that it was based from the Carerra 4 and that was one reason the Macan has staggered wheels. My son James is in love with the Macan, he will love this video (if he hasn't already found it...)

It looks pretty sharp. I will keep my FJ for now still though as it is my rock solid DD
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I'm sure that its a great little SUV. But therein lies the problem. I think that it will continue to erode the brand.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I'm sure that its a great little SUV. But therein lies the problem. I think that it will continue to erode the brand.
At least the "normal" cars they make are still good. Gotta say it looks better than a GLA and much much better than a X1.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

Garage
Always hear Macan and think of Macadamia nut.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
I concur..........but I have no logical reason to think this.

I guess I can empathize with how the Porschephile felt when the Mother Company marketed the 914, or when it decided that the front engine, rear transaxle setup of the 924/944/928 was the future of Porsche. Or when the Boxster/Cayman platform was introduced, and they suddenly became aware of the fact that that little sucker could eventually run circles around their time honored swinging pendulum layout, given the same power plant.

Right now, the SUV platform is the most popular, and Porsche is producing a superior example. And they're making a ton of money on it. Enough to keep the "pure" Porsches going.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

Garage
If they would make a rear wheel drive SUV I would buy it! Like the Macan looks but refuse to pay for 300 lbs I'll never use. Add lightness!
Old 02-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

"Erode the brand?" What does that mean? Porsche is in business to make money, and evidently they feel that this is a lucrative market. I don't see how they can erode the brand as long as they continue to make Boxsters, Caymans and 911s.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Right, this SUV is eroding the brand.

Not anymore that some 16 year old driving a Porsche to high school imo... :troll:
Old 02-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #10
Rennzenn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone

Hate to say it, but I agree. What could be done to curb this erosion??? How about a little Motorsport. I would love to see Porsche return to Dakar (even though terrorists have forced the rally to South America) or try the Baja 1000. How about Ken Block in a Macan doing rally cross?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone

Hate to say it, but I agree. What could be done to curb this erosion??? How about a little Motorsport. I would love to see Porsche return to Dakar (even though terrorists have forced the rally to South America) or try the Baja 1000. How about Ken Block in a Macan doing rally cross?
I think they compete in everything they should.... You know the guys at Porsche are perfectionist so they only compete where they know they can win. I love watching Porsches in the euro and now American eundurance championships. No to mention the return to Le Mans prototypes. They are very rich in (successful) Motorsport.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Right, this SUV is eroding the brand.

Not anymore that some 16 year old driving a Porsche to high school imo... :troll:
Sounds like a smart guy, most teens with a decent budget waste it on a jeep. The SUVs are great, even the diesel ones, I feel that Porsche fans hold the company back with too big of a foot in tradition. Then again I'd personally flip my crap if the next Porsche had its ignition on the right haha.

I can understand a distance to the SUVs but you have to respect the panameras, in my eyes they will sit alongside the other great front engine Porsche sports cars.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #13

Garage
I've never quite understood the mission of many of the small SUV models. Are these SUVs, AWD sedans or AWD sedans with sporting intentions?

I ask because what seems to limited in these vehicles is cargo capacity; My RAV4's--first an 07, now a 13--have both had more than 70+ cubic ft. of space with seats down which is great for hauling things like dog crates and other boxy packages. A small package with a lot of utility

The X3, Q5 and now the Macan are under 60 cubic ft. It's not the end of the world for sure, but does limit what you carry in this vehicle. Is this Porsche's answer to the Mazda 3 speed / WRX or something else?
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #14
Rennzenn

Garage
You know the guys at Porsche are perfectionist so they only compete where they know they can win

Agreed. They won Dakar in 1984 in a 953, and then took it again in '86 racing the 959. If they took the Macan off-roading, I'm sure wins would follow. And I can't help but think that would positively affect brand image as Porsche as a sports car company.
FWIW, when Parade was in Charlotte, one of the head honchos from Porsche was a keynote speaker. He talked a bit about the Cayenne and it's impact on the brand, repeating over and over, "Porsche is a sports car company".
Old 02-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH View Post
I've never quite understood the mission of many of the small SUV models. Are these SUVs, AWD sedans or AWD sedans with sporting intentions?

I ask because what seems to limited in these vehicles is cargo capacity; My RAV4's--first an 07, now a 13--have both had more than 70+ cubic ft. of space with seats down which is great for hauling things like dog crates and other boxy packages. A small package with a lot of utility

The X3, Q5 and now the Macan are under 60 cubic ft. It's not the end of the world for sure, but does limit what you carry in this vehicle. Is this Porsche's answer to the Mazda 3 speed / WRX or something else?
It is the Suv look without the suv mpg or price.... mercades gla, bmw x1, and the nissan juke are examples.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
You know the guys at Porsche are perfectionist so they only compete where they know they can win

Agreed. They won Dakar in 1984 in a 953, and then took it again in '86 racing the 959. If they took the Macan off-roading, I'm sure wins would follow. And I can't help but think that would positively affect brand image as Porsche as a sports car company.
FWIW, when Parade was in Charlotte, one of the head honchos from Porsche was a keynote speaker. He talked a bit about the Cayenne and it's impact on the brand, repeating over and over, "Porsche is a sports car company".
I know they have done great in the past, i just feel that rally is something they couldnt step onto the scene with and start winning again... id love to see it myself, but you do have a good point about the macan, all i had in mind were the modern 911s and that was the root of my doubt.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #17

Garage
There are a lot of Porsche owners who need more than two seats for a second vehicle. The Cayenne and now the Macan fit that need. The bonus is Porsche builds these vehicles with Porsche DNA. I can remember one review of the Cayenne where the reviewer has a stretch of field behind his house where he reviews SUV's. His comment was that he couldn't believe he had the Cayenne up to 100mph in a field without a problem. There are many other reviews out there that mention the limited body roll and performance of the Cayenne. I currently have a Toyota Tundra that handles my need for extra seats and hauling but I hate driving it now because of the handling, and it handles well, for a truck. I am beginning to think of getting a Cayenne instead of the Tundra and maybe a small trailer for when I need to do some hauling. Instead of diluting the brand, I feel they are enhancing the brand. Imagine a guy who buys a Cayenne or Macan to haul the family around and has never driven a Porsche before. He can only imagine what a 911 or Boxster/Cayman drives like if an SUV can handle that well. Now, if they would only build a truck, that would be perfect

Oh, and I think it is awesome that an 18 year old can drive one to school. I wish I could have! Think of all the other kids that will be influenced. Most think a Porsche is out of their reach. Oops, 18 year olds can't have a beer, so we will make it root beer!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I know they have done great in the past, i just feel that rally is something they couldnt step onto the scene with and start winning again... id love to see it myself, but you do have a good point about the macan, all i had in mind were the modern 911s and that was the root of my doubt.
Walter Rohr is on staff...
Old 02-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #19

Garage
Here is a perfect car for another kid in HS. Remember, these are great cars for a young guy/girl to do their own maintenance on. Looks like they did the Blue LED conversion.

2000 Porsche Boxster

2000 Porsche Boxster - $5000 (richardson)

2000 Porsche Boxster odometer: 132000 manual transmission

2000 Porsche Boxster Looks and runs great no dents. Silver/Black 5 speed, 2.7 runs great. New clutch.

Clear blue title in my name. 132,000 Miles.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #20

Garage
Dang mines just a 2.5, paid more for it too.. less miles though. As for the tundra, Cayenne thing.. i know quite a few Cayenne owners and all were privous boxster or 911 owners (or they still have the other pcar) but they need something to bring the family around in too. I know someone with a cayenne GTS and he says it handles just as good as his old 2002 boxster S he used to own.