Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #21

I find it humorous that people, who buy used cars (often not from the dealer), worry about whether Porsche is "eroding" the brand.

As far as I can tell, the "brand" remains the same -- they are a boutique dealer of high performance vehicles -- most buyers don't buy off the lot, rather they build a car to spec. Somehow, I still fail to see significant effects on the company since introducing the front engine 928, the 914, 924, the 944, the Cayenne, the Panamera, or even the "girly" Boxsters and slightly (?) more masculine Caymens, that most here drive.

Nor have I seen mass exodus from the brand (or from 911s) since the introduction of the Tiptronic, or PDK.

Porsche still seems to continue to sell, while people that may have never been to the dealership worry about abstract concepts, like "brand". This is nothing more than the realization of Nietzsche's concept of "Will to Power". In societies where one's will is subjugated by laws and social norms, the will to power exhibits itself in manifestations of nothingness -- like the idea of "Brand". Reminds me of the "Dude" asking about "leads" on who stole his car:

Leads - YouTube

Honestly, if we are talking about the threat to the "brand" it would be the GT3 fires and recall. Not the introduction of a small SUV *lets be honest, SAV*.

Last edited by cfos; 02-22-2014 at 09:30 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #22

Since we're talking about "brand" -- do all y'all think that Disney is in trouble since the past few movies (Brave, Frozen) haven't been about the importance of having a boyfriend (Little Mermaid)?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Since we're talking about "brand" -- do all y'all think that Disney is in trouble since the past few movies (Brave, Frozen) haven't been about the importance of having a boyfriend (Little Mermaid)?
Tangled makes up for, and while Hocus Pocus is old, it has quite a lasting effect in the category.. you could make a drinking game out of every time they say virgin in that movie.... then again that is just asking for alcohol poisoning.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #24

Eroding the brand?

It's been erroded. Past tense. More than half of all the Porsches sold are not sports cars. They are in fact luxury sedans and luxury SUVs. They are using the sports car heritage to sell luxury cars.
Today the average Porsche driver is like the average mountain bike owner. They never go near the trails with their bike. It mainly sits nicely pampered in a garage, just like the Porsche.

Not that there's anything wrong with making money on back of racing success. It's what car companies do. But there's no point in saying that yet another non-sports car is going to change what's already been altered signficantly. Now as a luxury brand however, Porsche adding more cars will indeed dilute the perception of exclusivity. Look at Mercedes. They have more cars than Starbucks has warm beverage varities. Today owning a Merc is not nearly as special as it once was.

As for this little SUV. I don't get this concept of making workboots equal parts fancy and fast. People seem just to default to an SUV because that's the trendy thing to do. But now they want their trendy car to be different than all the other mass produced SUVs. Seems like silly herd-following mentality to me. I've lost count of the number of people I know who want an SUV because they claim they need the space even though the back seat is empty 99% of the time. Meanwhile they are less safe in these SUVs than a more nimble, lighter, better braking sedan and these SUVs are a royal pain in the arse to see over or past. Especially at intersections when the SUV behind you decides to pull up next to you and blocks your view of oncoming traffic...because he can't wait. And as an every day cylclist virtually every close call with someone running me off the road or even making contact with me has been a moron texting, shaving, primping in a big SUV that they can't see around.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-22-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Eroding the brand?

It's been erroded. Past tense. More than half of all the Porsches sold are not sports cars. They are in fact luxury sedans and luxury SUVs. They are using the sports car heritage to sell luxury cars.
Today the average Porsche driver is like the average mountain bike owner. They never go near the trails with their bike. It mainly sits nicely pampered in a garage, just like the Porsche.

Not that there's anything wrong with making money on back of racing success. It's what car companies do. But there's no point in saying that yet another non-sports car is going to change what's already been altered signficantly. Now as a luxury brand however, Porsche adding more cars will indeed dilute the perception of exclusivity. Look at Mercedes. They have more cars than Starbucks has warm beverage varities. Today owning a Merc is not nearly as special as it once was.

As for this little SUV. I don't get this concept of making workboots equal parts fancy and fast. People seem just to default to an SUV because that's the trendy thing to do. But now they want their trendy car to be different than all the other mass produced SUVs. Seems like silly herd-following mentality to me. I've lost count of the number of people I know who want an SUV because they claim they need the space even though the back seat is empty 99% of the time. Meanwhile they are less safe in these SUVs than a more nimble, lighter, better braking sedan and these SUVs are a royal pain in the arse to see over or past. Especially at intersections when the SUV behind you decides to pull up next to you and blocks your view of oncoming traffic...because he can't wait. And as an every day cylclist virtually every close call with someone running me off the road or even making contact with me has been a moron texting, shaving, primping in a big SUV that they can't see around.

I've never met someone so sure of what everyone thinks and holds to be truths. Except Every republican, of course.

Owning a Merc(ury?) isn't so special as it once was? My, my -- I will await for Merc to issue an apology for letting customers feel less important, successful, and haughty, and be sure to disrespect all Merc(ury and cedes) owners and better educate them on their horrible taste.

So, I guess Nordstroms is off limits, too, because it is no longer a shoe store? Hey, let me know when it's ok to respect someone from Jersey, you know, since Christie's bridge closing fiasco, the Garden State Pkwy, the failed tummy-tape surgery, and the Orange cast of Jersey Shore that has tainted you folks so bad that NJ was kicked out of the Tri-state area.

Last edited by cfos; 02-22-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Tangled makes up for, and while Hocus Pocus is old, it has quite a lasting effect in the category.. you could make a drinking game out of every time they say virgin in that movie.... then again that is just asking for alcohol poisoning.
Not really. Tangled was more about "Finn Ryder" changing his attitude and dropping his thieving ways. It was also more akin to the "rescuing the princess" theme, that Disney often showcases. Hocus Pocus was also live action, and thus a different category.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #27

Quote:

Owning a Merc(ury?) isn't so special as it once was? My, my -- I will await for Merc to issue an apology for letting customers feel less important, successful, and haughty, and be sure to disrespect all Merc(ury and cedes) owners and better educate them on their horrible taste.

So, I guess Nordstroms is off limits, too, because it is no longer a shoe store? Hey, let me know when it's ok to respect someone from Jersey, you know, since Christie's bridge closing fiasco, the failed tummy-tape surgery, and the cast of Jersey Shore that has tainted you folks so bad that NJ was kicked out of the Tri-state area.
Jersey Shore cast are not from NJ.

No need for ad hom swipes. You bought a car not an identity, no need to defend it as if it were.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-22-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Jersey Shore cast are not from NJ.

No need for ad hom.
Practice what thy preach - especially with SUV fans and drivers and being "trendy". I means, is it possible that someone may want an SUV because they have kids or are at a different point in their life, or just think a given car is "cool"? And, please spell out, for the non-legally or non-philosophically inclined. Not everyone is enlightened. And you are right - I did buy a car. I didn't buy an identity nor can I quote race histories, times and lap challenges, as others seem to profess in their posts and threads. I also don't profess to know much about what others think, believe, and say - again, unlike others that seem to positively know what everyone else thinks and feels.

Last edited by cfos; 02-22-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Practice what thy preach - especially with SUV fans and drivers and being "trendy". I means, is it possible that someone may want an SUV because they have kids? And, please spell out, for the non-legally or non-philosophically inclined. Not everyone is enlightened.
Oh brother.omeone says owning a Mercedes isn't as unique as it once was, an opinion nothing more, and you take offense as if it were somehow a critique on the owner rather than the car company itself? Then to top off such thin-skin, you make an attack on an entire state? And you do so by including folks who aren't even from that state? Fail on top of fail.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
No need for ad hom swipes.

Plap, i totally agree about the suvs and suv people.... look at the G-Class.. i would love to own one because it is a beast off road, but now its the concrete jungle that they prowl in. I dont see an issue with Porsche making suvs, as long as they are class leading which they are. I guess our only hope is when these trendy folk buy a macan for the badge, they will see how great it handles and such and they too will catch the Porsche bug. The entry to Porsche performance isnt the boxster, its one of their luxury cars, then you have brand loyalty and come back for one of the sports cars.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Oh brother.omeone says owning a Mercedes isn't as unique as it once was, an opinion nothing more, and you take offense as if it were somehow a critique on the owner rather than the car company itself? Then to top off such thin-skin, you make an attack on an entire state? And you do so by including folks who aren't even from that state? Fail on top of fail.
Not to mention singling out an entire political party as idiots while he is at.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Huh. I never realized your posts were an opinion (assuming you've owned a Mercedes) -- nothing more, -- and my posts are vitriol mandated and signed by Obama and Jeremy Clarkson (being a BMW owner, I guess my attitude is expected). However, I do apologize regarding the Jersey Shore cast being from Jersey. I really couldn't stomach the show so I never did watch it or do much research on it. I have had, though, the displeasure of being on the toll-every-five-feet Garden State, so, I do not apologize for that comment nor for Christie's (?) and staff's actions.

Having said that, I formally apologize to all those offended by that remark about the Jersey Shore cast being from Jersey, and will immediately write all the owners of the Jets and Giants to rename their teams, since they play in Jersey, and not New York. Oh, and since some good does come from Jersey, I do still listen and like Bon Jovi, Wanted Dead or Alive. That counts for something, right?

Last edited by cfos; 02-22-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #33

Quote:

Plap, i totally agree about the suvs and suv people.... look at the G-Class.. i would love to own one because it is a beast off road, but now its the concrete jungle that they prowl in.

People are free to make whatever purchasing choices they wish in buying an SUV or a far safer car. But that doesn't mean those of us who aren't in SUV's aren't free to voice our opinions about their prevalence today. Being in a smaller car, I think we'd all rather get plowed by another small car than a rolling house that takes longer to stop and requires more attention behind the wheel.
For instance I bought my mother a mid-sized sedan a couple of years ago. She wanted a Mini Cooper and while it's a great nimble car, there are far too many accidents occurring in her neighbohrhood, one intersection doesn't have a light and its always littered with broken talights and glass from one accident after another. These tall SUVs block the sightline in trying to traverse these intersections. And a little further away is a stretch of road that is far too long and should at least have rumble srips or a speed bump as people are constantly going 20 mph over the limit in a residential area. Two elderly women were run over and reportedly knocked 30 feet into a driveway where they died.
A small car crossing into that kind of oncoming traffic, half of which are these these large SUV's, is basically toast at 6+mph speeds.

Cfos, you've apologized for ridiculing New Jersey by praising Bon Jovi instead of Springsteen? I've been in NJ all of my life and don't know a single person who has ever purchased any music from Bon Jovi since 1988.
I think it's mostly people from outside of NJ...who had big hair in 1988 and like to reminisce.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-22-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #34

Garage
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #35

Quote:
People are free to make whatever purchasing choices they wish in buying an SUV or a far safer car. But that doesn't mean those of us who aren't in SUV's aren't free to voice our opinions about their prevalence today. Being in a smaller car, I think we'd all rather get plowed by another small car than a rolling house that takes longer to stop and requires more attention behind the wheel.
For instance I bought my mother a mid-sized sedan a couple of years ago. She wanted a Mini Cooper and while it's a great nimble car, there are far too many accidents occurring in her neighbohrhood, one intersection doesn't have a light and its always littered with broken talights and glass from one accident after another. These tall SUVs block the sightline in trying to traverse these intersections. And a little further away is a stretch of road that is far too long and should at least have rumble srips or a speed bump as people are constantly going 20 mph over the limit in a residential area. Two elderly women were run over and reportedly knocked 30 feet into a driveway where they died.
A small car crossing into that kind of oncoming traffic, half of which are these these large SUV's, is basically toast at 6+mph speeds.

Cfos, you've apologized for ridiculing New Jersey by praising Bon Jovi instead of Springsteen? I've been in NJ all of my life and don't know a single person who has ever purchased any music from Bon Jovi since 1988.
I think it's mostly people from outside of NJ...who had big hair in 1988 and like to reminisce.
Sorry, for the time lapse -- my Wife wanted me to purchase feminine hygiene products and I had to go out.

Anyway, I do like Bruce and think it is great that his son, of all things, has dedicated himself to be a fireman. And so what if i like Bon Jovi? I never had big hair, and didn't recall that being a factor in liking a song. Of course, using the same thoughts, one could say that people here modify their cars cosmetically with bumpers and such... Right? By your analogy (liking Bon Jovi and big hair) makes these people "ricers" right? Unless, your bumper added, what 5 hp? or will you please correct me again, using some historical or racing significance to make the difference between some people and ricers?

Last edited by cfos; 02-22-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #36

Quote:

Plap, i totally agree about the suvs and suv people.... look at the G-Class.. i would love to own one because it is a beast off road...
Almost forgot to reply. I'd be careful about this one, Jake, I hear owning a Merc isn't what it used to be. Maybe it's no longer the "beast" you think it is. Besides, you'd be a horrible driver, by your own omission, if you had one. We only (apparently) deal with absolutes, here.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Sorry, for the time lapse -- my Wife wanted me to purchase feminine hygiene products and I had to go out.
She may need to share some of those, considering how this threads going id say the whole lot here might need a pack.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #38

Quote:
She may need to share some of those, considering how this threads going id say the whole lot here might need a pack.
True, true. They're were from Costco, so we have plenty... And, by the way, I appreciate your efforts on capitalization and even using a comma! *SIGH* My, they grow up so fast...
Old 02-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
True, true. They're were from Costco, so we have plenty... And, by the way, I appreciate your efforts on capitalization and even using a comma! *SIGH* My, they grow up so fast...
I've even been dabbling with apostrophes on occasion, a true sight to see.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #40

Quote:
I've even been dabbling with apostrophes on occasion; a true sight to see.
Being that these are 2, independent, yet related, clauses... I'd suggest you consider add a semicolon from time to time. But, use it sparingly -- until you gain more experience.