Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #41

Garage
I like them, and am considering putting them on my Atlas Grey '04 -S. I haven't decided what color stripe - white seems too much of a contrast, maybe silver or medium grey? Atlas is sort of a gun-metal blue/grey color.

Last930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #42
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last930 View Post
I like them, and am considering putting them on my Atlas Grey '04 -S. I haven't decided what color stripe - white seems too much of a contrast, maybe silver or medium grey? Atlas is sort of a gun-metal blue/grey color.
Here is my last box - seal grey with black. I thought about other colors on the darker car before I did these but i think black was the only way to go...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last930 View Post
try this website. They have a few color options.
Porsche Style Decals, Graphics, Stripes, Stickers for Porsche 911, Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne and Panamera.

Looks good on red.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
The Boxster design didn't really didn't have a barebones look about it all, that's just what the factory did to the design in order to profit from the upselling of Tequipment options. If anything I would consider the stock elements, both inside and outside, to be significant 'downgrades' of the 986 design. Just look at the concept car, the designer had very specific designs in mind, down to the little bridge over the dash gauges that only exist on the Boxster and don't fit into the 996.
I agree with you. To me, barebones is the base boxster or boxster S without any options or modifications. Regardless of whether or not it's what the designer envisioned... it's what we got. With that being said, the stripe feels out of place with that body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
And I don't think the lettering and stripes make the car look old-fashioned. I can't recall a single person saying that about the Boxster Spyder's stripes. It's a classic element of Porsches and there's difference between a classic and something old fashioned. Archie Bunker's plaid couch is old fashioned. The 1956 Eames lounge chair is a classic that looks good in any modern home.
I do agree that the Porsche font is the only way to go, I was commenting on the size of the font rather than the style. With so many boxsters out there and with myself owning a silver one, I feel as though whatever addition I install should have a personal touch to separate it from every other silver boxster out there. That's the motivation behind my post. I can't speak for those with black, red, yellow, blue boxsters... Just what I think pertaining to my particular one.

Now, you've got me wondering what the concept looks like... I kinda don't want to see it and get disappointed with how it turned out haha.
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #45

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #46

^ that's what I consider to be design stock.

By adding 18" wheels, the GT3 aero front bumper, nice interior trim upgrades (like painted center console) three spoke wheel, racing bucket seats, I see these upgrades to the original 1996/97 986 Boxster as getting the production car closer to the designer's original vision.

Which is what always makes me laugh when people say the 981 is "the first Boxster where I liked the looks". That's because they've been looking at stripped down Boxsters for over a decade. It wasn't ever designed to look that way.

Can say that many 21 year old designs still look this current.
Attached Images

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-11-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #47

^^^ Anniversary Edition wheels?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #48

Nope. I had them painted in a custom color similar to what you find on the BMW M3 chrome shadow. The actual process is one where you powder coat black first as a base layer. Then a thin layer of the silver chrome/metallic from some Italian company (Color D.E.C.). Finish with the clear coat. My finish is a little less chromy, and more metallicky.

I was on my second repaint of the factory Carreras and thought the stock silver was just too plain for the cost of repainting.

Here's a good picture of what the color looked like factory. This how Porsche should have done it.
Anywhere where there's a curve, the light reflects off it just perfectly. You can sort of see it on my wheels in the pic above on spokes.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/102623d1270307532-my-m5-oem-shadow-chrome-wheels-quest-refurbish-perfection-oem.jpg

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-11-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #49
jakesbox

[QUOTE=Perfectlap;376076]Nope. I had them painted in a custom color similar to what you find on the BMW M3 chrome shadow. The actual process is one where you powder coat black first as a base layer. Then a thin layer of the silver chrome/metallic from some Italian company (Color D.E.C.). Finish with the clear coat. My finish is a little less chromy, and more metallicky.

I was on my second repaint of the factory Carreras and thought the stock silver was just too plain for the cost of repainting.

Did they paint the center caps??
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)

Last edited by trimer; 12-11-2013 at 12:34 PM.
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #50

looks like you quoted my post before I changed it to url link instead of img link. (I think you should edit out the link )

Yes they painted the caps too. They're actually colored Porsche crests but the camera didn't capture it.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #51

They look mag-nificent (pun intended)! I like them better than your turbo replicas...at least 5 lbs lighter too, I'm sure.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #52

much lighter.... I'd say probably 12 pounds lighter in the rear for sure.

But the Turbo replicas have a ver cool finish in their own right.
The inside of the spokes and rim are a gun metal finish and the face of the wheel is polished with a lazer-etched finish that is really awesome for a $700 set of beater wheels. But at 10" in the rear they required a set of $250 spacers and longer bolts. And its a real trick to find replacement wheels.
I cracked a rear one and luckily found a replacement online for about $200. I may order a second just as a back up. Otherwise you have to buy all four again, no one will break up set to replace one wheel.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-11-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #53

What spacers do you run? Do you put spacers with the Carrera Lights?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #54

I like the stripe, looks good!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #55

No spacers on the factory wheels. I prefer not to have any spacers at all to avoid beating up the wheel bearings. And for autox/de I really don't want them on because of the stress.
But for the short winter months where temps go below freezing I can deal with it.

I'm not sure who makes my spacers but the guy at Wheel Dynamics has a kit for these particular 10" wheels. He was well versed in the issue with fitting narrow body Carrera wheels to the rear of a Boxster when I called.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #56

No stripe. Keep it classy!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #57
X GI

Adding anything that screams Porsche like a stripe with Porsche on it is over the top. I prefer simple/classy. Just my opinion. Only badge I have now on my Boxster is the front hood emblem. I swapped out the colored wheel center caps for silver/black too.
1999 Boxster
SJEFFB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #58

Garage
How about white stripe or even dark gray(If they make it)?

Might give that subtle look instead of contrast
Old 12-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #59

Love the stripe! On that color car it works VERY well. I decided on my Cobalt blue that it doesn't work.
bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #60

Okay, how hard to do?

Personally, love the stripe, especially on a silver car. To me, it's a very classic look and I love it.

So - how hard is it to do this? How steady of a hand and how easy is it to get straight? The one picture makes it look like a peel and stick decal, but assume there is more to it than that?