Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #21

Garage
I think the black on silver looks good, that's a yay from me.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
Damn Yankee

Garage
As stated in a previous thread, I think the stripe looks too "80's".

Which is fine if you're going for the Sonny Crockett look. Just don't forget the pastel dress t-shirt and unstructured jacket. Oh, and the half-shaved face look...........

Just sayin'.............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #23

I've had this conversation with JD more than once. Heliguy, there seem to be two camps on this topic;

1 - The "Less is More" camp where I reside
2 - The "Keep Buying Crap from the AutoZone Accessories Aisle until Portholes are the Last Thing Left" camp

Oh, and I forgot; The "If it isn't on Fire or Moving PlastiDip It" camp

Where do you want to be?

I hope you understand the above was Sarcasm......but seriously, the natural lines of the 986 should say enough. Just my opinion, your car your choice....
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I've had this conversation with JD more than once. Heliguy, there seem to be two camps on this topic;

1 - The "Less is More" camp where I reside
2 - The "Keep Buying Crap from the AutoZone Accessories Aisle until Portholes are the Last Thing Left" camp

Oh, and I forgot; The "If it isn't on Fire or Moving PlastiDip It" camp

Where do you want to be?

I hope you understand the above was Sarcasm......but seriously, the natural lines of the 986 should say enough. Just my opinion, your car your choice....
Of course I get sarcasm, but I just bought curb feelers, chrome door edge protectors and chrome vents to put on my front fenders from Pep Boys...no Photoshopping those on my car, Nine8Six.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
As stated in a previous thread, I think the stripe looks too "80's".

Which is fine if you're going for the Sonny Crockett look. Just don't forget the pastel dress t-shirt and unstructured jacket. Oh, and the half-shaved face look...........

Just sayin'.............

TO
That must mean you started driving in the 80's.

The Porsche lettering have been on their cars since at least the 1960's. Ferry Porsche had door decals on his personal one-off 2.7 Carrera.
Many will recall this now famous IROC race featuring a bevvy of Carrera beauties in 1973. Long before Sonny Crocket was busting narcos in his fake Daytona Spyder.

Awesome YouTube video called by Sir Jackie.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-10-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #26
Rennzenn

Garage
Oh hell yeah on the truckload of 73 Carrera RS cars!!!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #27

And fast forward four decades and the Porsche decals still look good on your lightest, best handling Porsche for less than $100K.

http://www.umnet.com/pic/diy/screensaver/1280x960/Porsche-Boxster-Spyder-1280x960.jpg
Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #28

"How would you like your steak?"
Same thing.

Last edited by jotoole; 12-10-2013 at 03:33 PM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #29

Garage
I think the stripe stands a better chance of looking good on a monochromatic color, than it does on say yellow, red and certain blues. How's that for diplomacy.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #30

I like the stripe with the black rims.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #31

I have the same on mine
Old 12-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #32

Garage
Hey Perfect..just have them park that car carrier in front of my place..I will gladly take ALL of those beauties!!
drew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #33

I think I like the side stripe. Never thought it would look good on the Artic Silver. Heliguy, really like the spoiler. Thought about that mod for my car but might just settle with a spoiler decal hahah.

Perfect lap...those are my favorite Porshe wheels.

Got to admit though, nothing shines better than a black car with a nice wax. But it is more work keeping it clean. Darker colors just shine more.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
And fast forward four decades and the Porsche decals still look good on your lightest, best handling Porsche for less than $100K.

http://www.umnet.com/pic/diy/screensaver/1280x960/Porsche-Boxster-Spyder-1280x960.jpg
That is pretty sweet
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #35

Garage
The stripe just makes the whole car look so....retro...I hope shehadehd will chime in, as he is just about to put a stripe on
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #36
Need For Speed

Garage
I like it both with and without the stripes. The car is beautiful either way.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #37

Garage
Side stripe, Yay or nay

I really think it depends what type of stripe your going to do and what your current car "mod status" is. On a bone stock car, it will probably look more retro than on a modded car. And by modded, I mean, upgraded wheels, side skirts, and potential painted calipers or rims. A biggie is the style of the stripe too.

If you just want to plant PORSCHE on the side in fat letters, then it'll look old fashioned. But if you make smart use of the side stripe to break up boring lines then I think you give the car a wider looking stance. I personally prefer a fat stripe with a thin one extending from the front of the car to somewhere I'm the middle... Or from the back to somewhere in the middle.

Lastly, with existing upgrades, a side stripe is a great way to tie them together. Like brake calipers and rim color. Even breaking up the the side skirts from the body of the car to give it an aggressive feel (works better on metallic colored cars). I mean, when you look at 911s and gt3s, porsche ties in the side stripe to subtle features of the car to make it the otherwise insignificant addition, noticeable. If you plan on adding a side stripe, I think you should do the same... Pick a unique design that's tailored to your upgrades. Just my 2 cents.

Here is a classic, "retro" side stripe

This one, IMHO, makes better use of the car pre-existing upgrades to tie the whole body together

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top

Last edited by Shehadehd; 12-10-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #38

Just want to make clear that I would take any one of these cars in a heartbeat. It's just a matter of seasoning to suit your taste. Ergo, the steak reference. It's your car, gotta please yourself.

Last edited by jotoole; 12-11-2013 at 03:55 AM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehadehd View Post

Here is a classic, "retro" side stripe

This one, IMHO, makes better use of the car pre-existing upgrades to tie the whole body together
Just my opinion but the stripes don't look as good without the actual Porsche font.

Also, I don't consider Heliguy's modifications to be upgrades since I don't believe that the 986 was designed in the studio with 16" or 17" wheels in mind nor was it designed with the very vanilla bumpers of the early cars and stripped down interior.

The Boxster design didn't really didn't have a barebones look about it all, that's just what the factory did to the design in order to profit from the upselling of Tequipment options. If anything I would consider the stock elements, both inside and outside, to be significant 'downgrades' of the 986 design. Just look at the concept car, the designer had very specific designs in mind, down to the little bridge over the dash gauges that only exist on the Boxster and don't fit into the 996.

And I don't think the lettering and stripes make the car look old-fashioned. I can't recall a single person saying that about the Boxster Spyder's stripes. It's a classic element of Porsches and there's difference between a classic and something old fashioned. Archie Bunker's plaid couch is old fashioned. The 1956 Eames lounge chair is a classic that looks good in any modern home.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-11-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #40
jakesbox

Here are my newe Anthracite stripes. sorry - it is a dismal cloudy day so the pics arent the best and my car is dirty - but 70 degrees!

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote