Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #21

Well, I've been here over 6 years and have only managed to put a handful on that list, thanks for looking out for me though.

Aren't you the guy who was letting us all know the real story a few weeks ago (the day after you joined as a matter of fact) about the IMS situation?

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49175-few-questions.html#post369509

Same guy who just purchased your first Boxster 2 to 3 weeks ago?

Thanks for the education.

Add another to the list....

P.S. I'll make sure to keep you appraised of the 928 search in ever increasing anticipation of your Solomon like advice.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #22

Garage
Ooooh ........
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
Thanks RK. It is pretty surprising how many of these things are actively road raced not to mention how well they do.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Well, I've been here over 6 years and have only managed to put a handful on that list, thanks for looking out for me though.

Aren't you the guy who was letting us all know the real story a few weeks ago (the day after you joined as a matter of fact) about the IMS situation?

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49175-few-questions.html#post369509

Same guy who just purchased your first Boxster 2 to 3 weeks ago?

Thanks for the education.

Add another to the list....

P.S. I'll make sure to keep you appraised of the 928 search in ever increasing anticipation of your Solomon like advice.
Wow...You really are Mr. Sensitive.
Well lets see, I AM one of the few people who gave you first hand knowledge of the 928, and youre even squawking at me. Sheesh. I should kick you right in the vagina!!
Methinks you have made quite a few ignore lists yourself.
Heck, as far as Solomon advice, Ive owned more cool cars than most people could count, so that's my wisdom.
Good luck with the 928.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Ooooh ........
Looks like Cups on the front and Cragers on the back. There's no denying that many of the 928's , usually low dollar ones, have a very strong mullet factor to them.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #26

I was a huge 928 fan in my younger days. I followed this car since introduction in 1977.

If I were to purchase one today I would look for a 93-95 GTS with a stick. Most 928's were automatic. The 93-95 cars are extremely rare. They were the best GT car made in it's day.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I was a huge 928 fan in my younger days. I followed this car since introduction in 1977.

If I were to purchase one today I would look for a 93-95 GTS with a stick. Most 928's were automatic. The 93-95 cars are extremely rare. They were the best GT car made in it's day.
You have good taste. Unfortunately decent examples of the GTS model start in the $30k to $50k range, very nice ones with manual transmissions are quite a bit more. This is one of the reasons I'd like to catch a prime S4 now but frankly the more I look, the less I'm inclined to go down the 928 path. They were incredible cutting edge cars in their day, now that they are 25 plus years old the attention that they seem to require (thrust bearing / flex plate issues, electrical gremlins seem to abound, torque tube related, cooling system, 7 foot long timing belt / tensioner / Porkensioner, Intake / top end refresh, water pump, power steering issues, funky interior / dash pad issues, etc.) in comparison to air cooled 911's is dulling their shine for me.

Last edited by coreseller; 12-10-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #28
Rennzenn

Garage
Quote:
You have good taste. Unfortunately decent examples of the GTS model start in the $30k to $50k range, very nice ones with manual transmissions are quite a bit more. This is one of the reasons I'd like to catch a prime S4 now but frankly the more I look, the less I'm inclined to go down the 928 path. They were incredible cutting edge cars in their day, now that they are 25 plus years old the attention that they seem to require (thrust bearing / flex plate issues, electrical gremlins seem to abound, torque tube related, cooling system, 7 foot long timing belt / tensioner / Porkensioner, Intake / top end refresh, water pump, power steering issues, funky interior / dash pad issues, etc.) in comparison to air cooled 911's is dulling their shine for me.
Agreed. I'm also a fan, but the maintenance etc keeps me away.
On the fantasy list, I'd love to see a 928 with a Panamera drivetrain and some interior bits.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #29

Garage
It sounds like 'risky business' owning one of these.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
It sounds like 'risky business' owning one of these.
Could be. Given my growing sensitivity regarding *sshat comments from a plethora of newbs, I think I found the right model.

And No....believe it or not I'm not crotchety by nature.......
Old 12-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks. I still have the interest for a 928. Specially the 93-95 models. My passion for the 928 died for awhile when Porsche introduced the 944 turbo-turbo S. I've had two of these so far and still have the turbo s. now it's a debate whether to buy a 911 variant or 928 or 981 Gts. I like the 93-95 GTS due to their rare existence.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Thanks. I still have the interest for a 928. Specially the 93-95 models. My passion for the 928 died for awhile when Porsche introduced the 944 turbo-turbo S. I've had two of these so far and still have the turbo s. now it's a debate whether to buy a 911 variant or 928 or 981 Gts. I like the 93-95 GTS due to their rare existence.
It would serve you well to research pricing on the GTS's as I alluded to before if you have not already, I know I was surprised. Trimer and I both would greatly appreciate your observations on 944's, specifically the Turbo S's.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #33

check out the 'blackbird' body kit ...

928 Motorsports - Porsche® Performance Parts - Blackbird Wide Body Panels for the Porsche® 928 - Porsche® 928 World record Holder 216.63537 mph

lightweight fg body panels, no headlights (just projectors in the driving light openings) and a supercharger for 500 hp ...

your right - major mullet factor (german corvette) but I like a lot ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Cas, don't you dare put that 944 Turbo S up for sale, but if you do, let me know first! I've seen it in-person and what a beaut!
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #35

You could always go the AC-DC circa "Ride the Lightning" route with a 928:

http://www.evalbum.com/736
Old 12-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
Cas, don't you dare put that 944 Turbo S up for sale, but if you do, let me know first! I've seen it in-person and what a beaut!
Hey Jeremy,
No this is one car I do not plan on selling. It's unique (716) made for the US. Hardly see these around today.

Quote:
It would serve you well to research pricing on the GTS's as I alluded to before if you have not already, I know I was surprised. Trimer and I both would greatly appreciate your observations on 944's, specifically the Turbo S's.
Yes I'm aware of the prices for these models and you do have to pay a premium for one of them.

The 944 turbo or 944's in general are one of Porsche's best handling cars made before the Boxster or GT3. Lightweight and very nimble. The turbo gave the car the power needed to keep up or surpass the 911 even though they were detuned so it doesn't outperform the 911 turbo which it did. Porsche 944 TurboS vs. 911 Turbo

The turbo model is very easy to modify and they are great track cars and very fast. One of Porsche biggest little secret in my opinion. A nice example is hard to find these days but you can still get a nice one in the 10-15k range.

Check out the latest Panorama magazine. You'll see a 944 turbo S featured in the current issue.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #37
jakesbox

Quote:
Hey Jeremy,
No this is one car I do not plan on selling. It's unique (716) made for the US. Hardly see these around today.

Yes I'm aware of the prices for these models and you do have to pay a premium for one of them.

The 944 turbo or 944's in general are one of Porsche's best handling cars made before the Boxster or GT3. Lightweight and very nimble. The turbo gave the car the power needed to keep up or surpass the 911 even though they were detuned so it doesn't outperform the 911 turbo which it did. Porsche 944 TurboS vs. 911 Turbo

The turbo model is very easy to modify and they are great track cars and very fast. One of Porsche biggest little secret in my opinion. A nice example is hard to find these days but you can still get a nice one in the 10-15k range.

Check out the latest Panorama magazine. You'll see a 944 turbo S featured in the current issue.
what is your thought on this: Looking for just another nice ride to pop in the garage and take to some cars and coffees.. not going to race it, etc. Is it worth looking at a 944 base or is turbo really the only way to go? I had a buddy years ago with one. 86 turbo red with black fuchs and he had modified with a chip and that car hauled ass! I fell in love with that car and always wanted one...but I have never been in a base model 944. Have no clue what pick up is like...I assume they are geared to be quick but at 150HP, how quick can they possibly be. Just curious as to thoughts on the Base 944. Is it much like the difference of a Box vs Box S?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #38

Garage
My dad was a Porsche Mechanic when I was growing up. I always admired the concept of a front engine V-8 in a Porsche, but even in the day I thought it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. Now if the Panamera, reared it's head back then...(just my $0.02) But more power to the Porschephiles that love it.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
what is your thought on this: Looking for just another nice ride to pop in the garage and take to some cars and coffees.. not going to race it, etc. Is it worth looking at a 944 base or is turbo really the only way to go? I had a buddy years ago with one. 86 turbo red with black fuchs and he had modified with a chip and that car hauled ass! I fell in love with that car and always wanted one...but I have never been in a base model 944. Have no clue what pick up is like...I assume they are geared to be quick but at 150HP, how quick can they possibly be. Just curious as to thoughts on the Base 944. Is it much like the difference of a Box vs Box S?
Todd - if you are going to look at a 944, look for a 944S or a 944S2. I had an 87 944S years ago and currently have a 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet in my fleet. You get a lot of car w/ the S or S2 package.

If you look at a base 944, make sure you get a '85 1/2 or newer w/ the updated interior and dash.

just my 2 cents worth...

Rick

I'll post my 928 thoughts here eventually...
Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #40

trimer - For just around town use, you might want to consider the 968. From what I've read it is slightly more refined in terms of creature comforts than the 944s, but also very similar in its handling/performance.

cas951 - You should post a picture or two of your Turbo S for everyone to enjoy/drool over here.