Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #1

What is the worst injury you have driven with?

It's possible that I broke my right hand earlier today. Even if it's not broken, I can't lift a beer and my first thought was how will I be able to drive the manual.

The story is lame and the injury and story are not near as good as when I had a bad accident in turn 5 of Willow Springs that left me with a shatter collar bone and broken wrist, thumb, and scapula all on the left side. That accident was on Saturday and I drove my manual VW Corrado to work on Monday. That was an interesting time, steering with my knees when I needed to shift….

What is the worst injury you have drivers with?

runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #2

Garage
Nothing as for me. Growing up I read in a boy scout magazine that a boy and his father were both injured hiking and had to drive to the nearest gas station for help. The boy managed to get his father in and proceeded to drive with a broken arm and leg. Hopefully no one on the forum ever has to go through that. They got the help needed, the boy got a medal, but not a fun experience.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

Garage
Had a herniated disc. Getting in and out was the worst!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Herniated disc is bad. I'm in therapy for that now.

I've broken an arm, an ankle, and my face! All on different occasions?
Fingers x4, some ribs. I've been hurt a lot.
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

Garage
I cut 3 of my fingers off on my table saw. Right hand. Spent 10 days in the hospital and drove my manual Z3 the day I got home. Modified the cast I had to enable me to change gears. Both my mother....who had flown up to take care of me, and my wife at the time, thought I was entirely insane. But it made me happy to do it.

*but*....I just thought of this....I once pulled my groin at the gym and spent the next week DIEING in my car trying to push the clutch in. It was excruciating. So...the groin thing doesn't sound nearly as cool...but good Lord...it was just as painful.

Last edited by Tucker2; 12-01-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Tucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Winter job. Snow and ice. Years back.

Had an extension ladder against a house on a deck working on a light fixture. Deck frozen. I was about 6' up the ladder when it just went. Didn't think it was on ice but it was getting dark. As it went down, I held on and it just slammed onto the deck. Because I was grabbing the rails, it crushed 4 fingers of which 3 broke, and I slammed my face against the rungs.

Customer not home. Had to stand up first. Immediately I started to shake from shock. Made it to my Ranger and had to just open the door. Terrible pain to get my keys from my pocket. Couldn't start the truck and started falling asleep, but shook it off. Got the truck started, warmed a bit, and drove maybe 4 houses away before I pulled over and passed out. Came around almost 30 minutes later, truck running, dried blood in my eye and on my face. Drove to ER.

Drove self to hospital after cutting off a finger tip with portable band saw. Saw my pulse in the hose water.

Drove self to hospital after impaling myself on a fence I was welding on a cast iron flur de Le into back of my right thigh, just under ass. Tore a hole bigger than a silver dollar in my thigh, I could see my muscle move back and forth and had fat cells hanging all over. I just hung there, impaled, for a minute while I stood up, lifted my leg off, and wrapped it up.

Others, but those were the worst. I work alone typically and you do what you have to do.

Last edited by Timco; 12-01-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #7

Let's see, fractured vertibrae ( dirt bike crash ), herniated disc, broken foot, Gout flareup in big toe ( you wouldn't think a toe could be so painful! ) , right ACL surgery/cast ( lucking I had an Automatic '69 Mustang at the time ), Broken right hand ( puching plaster wall-stupid ). I also rode my dirt bike home with a broken right collarbone, it's very difficult using your left hand for steering/throttle on the right side!

PS I think Timco wins !

Last edited by stephen wilson; 12-02-2013 at 05:45 AM.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #8

sliced the cartlidge that connected 3 of my ribs to my sterum. didn't think it was that bad until I tried to shift from 1st to 2nd.... ended up not shifting out of third the rest of the ride to the hospital. 16 miles on the highway with my flashers on.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #9

Garage
Geeeeze you guys. I didn't realize this was such an accident prone group!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Damn Yankee

Garage
Broken toe - made a plaster casting of my right sole and fashioned pedals to install on my 924.

Shattered collarbone - the pain was incredible, just steered and shifted with my left hand. Very gingerly.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #11

Garage
Testicular Trauma!! Guy started a fight with me at work, punches me in the jaw. I go after him, he drops to the floor & kicks me in the left ball. This bursts a blood vessel & my scrotum fills with blood. It weighs about a pound soon so I drive myself to the nearest Doc-ina-Box. I walk in carrying my junk in one hand & explain my problem to the nurse. They get me in for exam quickly & tell me to go to a hospital. Drive to a hospital & they tell me I need a ultrasound. I go to the ultrasound nurse, by now my scrotom is fully inflated with blood pressure & looks like a turtle. Nurse greases it up & does ultrasound test scan which I pass. I drive 20 miles home & get the icebag.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #12

Garage
Currently have two bulging discs and one herniated disc in my lower neck, pinching a nerve and causing my right hand to "go dead". Results of car accidents many years ago, but they were "re-aggrivated" when I fractured a rib about three weeks ago. Also have 2 herniated discs in my lower back.

Getting in and out when the top is up is an exercise.

But I wouldn't give it up!

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Damn Yankee

Garage
Hey BYprodriver,

I was just enjoying my lunch when I read your post. Suddenly lost my appetite................ Go figure.

TO

p.s. A nurse greased up your nutsack??????????
Old 12-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Hey BYprodriver,

I was just enjoying my lunch when I read your post. Suddenly lost my appetite................ Go figure.

TO

p.s. A nurse greased up your nutsack??????????
Yeah it's just like if you're pregnant, but lower! It was more like a purple kick ball at this point than a sack!

Last edited by BYprodriver; 12-02-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added visual aid
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Testicular Trauma!! Guy started a fight with me at work, punches me in the jaw. I go after him, he drops to the floor & kicks me in the left ball. This bursts a blood vessel & my scrotum fills with blood. It weighs about a pound soon so I drive myself to the nearest Doc-ina-Box. I walk in carrying my junk in one hand & explain my problem to the nurse. They get me in for exam quickly & tell me to go to a hospital. Drive to a hospital & they tell me I need a ultrasound. I go to the ultrasound nurse, by now my scrotom is fully inflated with blood pressure & looks like a turtle. Nurse greases it up & does ultrasound test scan which I pass. I drive 20 miles home & get the icebag.
^ He wins. I got nothing, I mean NOTHING, that can top that.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #16

Garage
I'm fairly determined that I never will either.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #17

Mine was similar...except it was an incarcerated inguinal hernia on the right side. The fluid filled my right scrotum. Drove to the Dr. As soon as she saw it she admitted me to the hospital.

The prep nurse saw it and said "Oh my god! you poor thing...."

painful....

Quote:
Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
2004 Boxster S

Some excruciating stories here, but I think everyone has missed that the OP wins hands down, as he stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
I can't lift a beer

End of story!
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #19

During a late night run for some extra cognac with JD, I contracted a rare strain of the airborne Ebola virus. I got better.......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
It was more like a purple kick ball at this point than a sack!
That's it. I'm getting a steel cup.

Does anyone know of a Snell approved model?

TO