Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

light unit condensation

I just recently bought a boxster and noticed the front n/s light unit has condensation - I assume that the front boot liner needs to come out so I can dry the unit out and wanted to know is there anything I need to wary of - help/advice appreciated - thanks

rossa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #2

what's n/s?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #3

N/S = Near Side which is Brit speak for passenger side.

The light units should be sealed, so condensation mans that the seal has broken down somewhere, so drying it out might not work for very long.

It's very easy to remove the lights in any case. DIY here:

Boxster Projects | Headlamp Replacement
gavinyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossa123 View Post
I just recently bought a boxster and noticed the front n/s light unit has condensation - I assume that the front boot liner needs to come out so I can dry the unit out and wanted to know is there anything I need to wary of - help/advice appreciated - thanks
They have always done that since new. It should dry on it's own.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossa123 View Post
Don't waste your time with the boot liner as the headlight pops out very easily with a 5MM socket and extension- or use the factory tool that's supposed to be in the tool pouch. The socket fits in a hole inside the 'boot' or frunk beside either headlight.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #6

The headlights are vented and if you take a short drive they should dry out. The air comes in through the gaps under the headlights between the headlight and the bumper cover, and if that area is blocked, like with a bra, then that can block the air that vents through the headlights and the condensation can build up.

Steve

Edit: One of my amber triangle corners had some condensation and it never seems to go away...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
The headlights are vented and if you take a short drive they should dry out.
No, not at all. They are actually sealed water tight. If water can get in, than air and dirt can also.
You don't want that.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

I seems like I just read a tsb about this issue on the headlights on renntech, I'll check tomorrow when I am at work, whoops ��
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
what's n/s?
It is an abbreviation we use in the UK for near side - the nearest side to the pavement - in the uk with right hand drive cars it would be the left hand side of the car -
rossa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #10

The pavement being the sidewalk then?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
2002 Boxster S

Garage
After a big rain, I discovered that one of my amber corners actually leaks. It was about half full of water, which had no way to drain and would no doubt take decades to evaporate. I just removed it and drilled small holes in the top (to prevent air lock) and bottom (drain).

I would not do that on the electrical parts, though. Best to replace it, or find how the water is entering and seal it.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Condensation in the corner pieces is common and won't hurt anything other than aesthetics.

If the condensation is in the main unit, that's a problem. Moisture will attract and hold dirt and dust, fouling the optics and the inside of the outer lens. The first and easiest thing to check in this scenario would be the two rear covers on the headlight unit. There is one big cover for the main reflector unit with the high and low beam bulbs, and another smaller cover for the fog light bulb. My guess is that one or both is not on right or has missing/bad seals .

This is easy to check and will take less than five minutes.
1) insert the headlight removal tool (5mm socket) with the handle pointing upward.
2) rotate the handle 90° toward the rear of the car. The headlight should have popped loose and slid forward about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch.
3) carefully grab the edges of the headlight that are now exposed and pull the headlight forward gently until it stops, which will be about another 0 - 1/2 inch.
4) with one hand, continue rotating the headlight removal tool toward the rear of the car another 15 to 45° while gently pulling forward on the headlight with the other hand. The headlight should slide out easily from this point.
5) inspect/repair/replace covers and seals and reinstall headlight using the same above process.

If all the seals appear good and the covers are intact, the next thing to check would be the seam between the 2 headlight housing pieces. Also check the entire housing for cracks or defects

Last edited by particlewave; 11-15-2013 at 10:54 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote