986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   light unit condensation (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49453-light-unit-condensation.html)

rossa123 11-14-2013 12:01 PM

light unit condensation

I just recently bought a boxster and noticed the front n/s light unit has condensation - I assume that the front boot liner needs to come out so I can dry the unit out and wanted to know is there anything I need to wary of - help/advice appreciated - thanks

Mark_T 11-14-2013 12:16 PM

what's n/s?

gavinyuill 11-14-2013 01:35 PM

N/S = Near Side which is Brit speak for passenger side.

The light units should be sealed, so condensation mans that the seal has broken down somewhere, so drying it out might not work for very long.

It's very easy to remove the lights in any case. DIY here:

Boxster Projects | Headlamp Replacement

BYprodriver 11-14-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossa123 (Post 372224)
I just recently bought a boxster and noticed the front n/s light unit has condensation - I assume that the front boot liner needs to come out so I can dry the unit out and wanted to know is there anything I need to wary of - help/advice appreciated - thanks

They have always done that since new. It should dry on it's own.

woodsman 11-14-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossa123 (Post 372224)

Don't waste your time with the boot liner as the headlight pops out very easily with a 5MM socket and extension- or use the factory tool that's supposed to be in the tool pouch. The socket fits in a hole inside the 'boot' or frunk beside either headlight.

steved0x 11-14-2013 03:01 PM

The headlights are vented and if you take a short drive they should dry out. The air comes in through the gaps under the headlights between the headlight and the bumper cover, and if that area is blocked, like with a bra, then that can block the air that vents through the headlights and the condensation can build up.

Steve

Edit: One of my amber triangle corners had some condensation and it never seems to go away...

particlewave 11-14-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 372253)
The headlights are vented and if you take a short drive they should dry out.

No, not at all. They are actually sealed water tight. If water can get in, than air and dirt can also.
You don't want that.

steved0x 11-14-2013 06:50 PM

I seems like I just read a tsb about this issue on the headlights on renntech, I'll check tomorrow when I am at work, whoops ��

rossa123 11-14-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 372226)
what's n/s?

It is an abbreviation we use in the UK for near side - the nearest side to the pavement - in the uk with right hand drive cars it would be the left hand side of the car -

Mark_T 11-15-2013 05:11 AM

The pavement being the sidewalk then?

silver-S 11-15-2013 08:56 AM

After a big rain, I discovered that one of my amber corners actually leaks. It was about half full of water, which had no way to drain and would no doubt take decades to evaporate. I just removed it and drilled small holes in the top (to prevent air lock) and bottom (drain).

I would not do that on the electrical parts, though. Best to replace it, or find how the water is entering and seal it.

particlewave 11-15-2013 10:45 AM

Condensation in the corner pieces is common and won't hurt anything other than aesthetics. ;)

If the condensation is in the main unit, that's a problem. Moisture will attract and hold dirt and dust, fouling the optics and the inside of the outer lens. The first and easiest thing to check in this scenario would be the two rear covers on the headlight unit. There is one big cover for the main reflector unit with the high and low beam bulbs, and another smaller cover for the fog light bulb. My guess is that one or both is not on right or has missing/bad seals .

This is easy to check and will take less than five minutes.
1) insert the headlight removal tool (5mm socket) with the handle pointing upward.
2) rotate the handle 90° toward the rear of the car. The headlight should have popped loose and slid forward about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch.
3) carefully grab the edges of the headlight that are now exposed and pull the headlight forward gently until it stops, which will be about another 0 - 1/2 inch.
4) with one hand, continue rotating the headlight removal tool toward the rear of the car another 15 to 45° while gently pulling forward on the headlight with the other hand. The headlight should slide out easily from this point.
5) inspect/repair/replace covers and seals and reinstall headlight using the same above process.

If all the seals appear good and the covers are intact, the next thing to check would be the seam between the 2 headlight housing pieces. Also check the entire housing for cracks or defects ;)