Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #1

Goodbye Boxster... Hello Stingray

I have LOVED my 2001 Boxster for the past 2 years and had a blast working on it and driving it. I've been lusting after the new Vette and pulled the trigger. I sold my Boxster to the nicest guy who is super excited to be in the Porsche game...a life-long dream in his own words. I wish him as much fun as I had with it. What a great car. Thanks everyone for the good advice the past 2 years...

I'm selling my rollbar extender if interested:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/49425-roll-bar-extender.html

It served me well for several track weekend HPDE's at VIR.

Cheers,
Mike

Attached Images

GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

Nice Vette!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

Good Looking Car....Great Color too!

I can never wrap my mind around why chevy (and american car companies) is still so enamored with chrome wheels though. Black rims IMO would make it look extra nice.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Nice car!

I never think of Porsche owners and Vette owners as the same people. Give us a review when you get a chance.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

Interesting to see the latest Vette looks reasonably compact even next to a 986...
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #6

Garage
Both desperately need to be lowered!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #7

My condolences on your loss
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
I can never wrap my mind around why chevy (and american car companies) is still so enamored with chrome wheels though. Black rims IMO would make it look extra nice.
I feel the same way about black wheels. Looks like you've got 4 spares on.

Been looking at the new Vette as well. Just can't seem to make myself pull the trigger.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #9

The center cap is missing already? Good old American engineering.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i feel the same way about black wheels. Looks like you've got 4 spares on.
Now THAT'S funny. +1

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Chrome looks good with certain colors, blue is one of the best. I think the whole black wheel fad has played out & will soon pass, it definitely has with me.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
recycledsixtie

Garage
I hope that you don't miss your Boxster too much.....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #13

Garage
I love the chrome wheels. I can't stand black rims. To me they always look dirty and I have never understood why that fad came around. Chrome looks so nice when all spit shined and buffed. Love the color of that Vette. They are a blast to drive! Congrats!
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Yeah, Ive heard that about my Viper but theyre not "chrome," theyre polished aluminum.
Im not sure what the new vette has, but I would lay money down that its polished aluminum also.
Many European car guys, like Jeremy Clarkson, are quick to denigrate American cars with "chrome" rims without actually checking the facts. Jeremy will use any excuse to insult an American vehicle, justified or not.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
Nice car!

I never think of Porsche owners and Vetts owners as the same people. Give us a review when you get a chance.
Congratulations on your Vette, I have owned Vettes for over 17 years I do not own one now. I currently own a 2002 Boxster,a 2006 Lotus Elise, a 2011 Volvo S40 R-Design. and a Jeep wrangler.

I love cars

I also had a 99 Boxster with chrome rims and it looked great, it is a matter of taste and what car there on that makes a difference.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Interesting to see the latest Vette looks reasonably compact even next to a 986...
I was thinking the same thing. I feel like the boxster is wrapped around me and the vette is a lot bigger, but check out this pic.

Also - I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the chrome wheels either, but this car is the Premiere Edition and it only comes this way. It had every other option I wanted, including a bunch of stuff on constraint that I probably couldn't get until next spring...I plan on using these as track wheels and will get some cool, possibly black, aftermarket rims when there is a good selection sometime next year.

Still waiting on the center caps. This special edition car has special ones, but it accidently came with the standard ones.

Driving impression so far - Comfortable GT car in touring - this thing would be awesome for a serious multiday road trip. It feels and sounds like a race car in Track mode. I still have not hit 500 mi break in, so I have not taken it over 3500 RPM. That said, it is faster than the Boxster even without flooring it and short shifting. Duel mode exhaust is the best of both worlds. I'd put the interior up against any car - my Uncle's 550 or my buddies Jag really aren't any better. Seats are amazing. So far, GREAT. I may autocross this weekend. I'll let you guys know what I think (assuming I make the 500 mi break in point).

I still contend, for cruising the back roads where I live, the Porsche may be more fun. You can get on it and work the shifter a lot more without hitting go to jail speeds. It was also so raw and connected to the road. I've never driven a car with better brakes than my old 986 either.

GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #17

The new Vette is a HUGE bang-for-the-buck sports car. Enjoy.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #18

Look forward to your review. I think GM has really hit the mark with this one.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #19

I love the styling of the new vette, enjoy it!
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #20
recycledsixtie

Garage
I have to admit that the new Vette looks more compact and better looking than the old ones. I have not priced one out all but they are advertising the 2014 base Cayman here for $62k(I would think less in the US) and would think that a similar equipped Vette would be less. Bang for the buck would go to the Vette. Money no object I would go for the Cayman/Boxster.

Enjoy your new ride. I would think that it is a blast.Sorry that you cannot have the two....

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote