Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

05 Boxster (987): Help with replacing some parts!

Hi!

Just joined & this is my first post. Hoping to get some help replacing some parts.

So I recently bought an '05 Boxster (987); it's got about 20K miles on it and seems to be in good shape. Do have some cosmetic/aesthetic replacements I want to make and I'm hoping to get some help with that.

I've taken pictures of everything to explain exactly what I'm looking to do. I might be a little over-ambitious, but I'm hoping to replace these parts myself, without taking it to a mechanic/dealer. These would have to be things that don't require any special tools & are basically "Screw On/Off" parts - otherwise it'll be a no-go for me. Not sure if it's possible or not, but here goes ...

So here's the first one; probably the most important. An idiot at a car wash - my main suspect - broke part of the "B" in the emblem on the trunk. At this point I'd like to replace the emblem with a newer one. Can I order this somewhere & replace it myself?

The Porsche insignia/emblem on the Steering wheel; their seems to be a lot of scratched, completely ruining the insignia. I don't know if this is possible to replace at all - and if so - how do you remove it & install a new one - and where do you get a new one from?

Behind both seats, there is a little cap type part - again - lots of scratches. I'd like to replace them both. Not sure how to remove them & install a new one, and if I can purchase them somewhere?

The main temp button the A/C scratched all to hell. Same question.

This is more of a body-repair question. There's 2 or 3 of these dug-in scratches on the body. What's the best way to get these out & disappear:

With the next two I'm being over-ambitious; not sure if it's at all possible to replace these ...

First one is the exhaust pipe; wouldn't mind taking this one out & installing a brand new one ...

and the parts on the 2 sides of the car ... don't like the color; I'd much rather have nice semi-gloss black ones to go ...

So that's pretty much it. Would really appreciate if I can get some guidance on where to purchase some of these parts & if/how they can be replace myself.

Thanks!

Last edited by luci5r; 10-22-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Initial Post Submitted Without Completion
luci5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
The rear script is sold by a few online vendors, such as Bumperplugs.com, or Suncoast Porsche.

The steering wheel emblem is a tricky one, and most likely cannot be removed unless you're extremely skilled with this sort of task. Not saying it's impossible but more likely risky. The badge on my 986 is scratched a little on the black bar but not much I can do. If money isn't a real issue, replacing the airbag may be a safer, easier alternative.

Ah yes, the rubberized paint. My mother's '06 987 has the same issue (also has the Sand Beige interior). You can either A) remove the rubberized paint and leave black, B) color-match after stripping, C) use a vinyl wrap. At least it's not as bad as period Volkswagens were, good lord.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #3

I replaced the "Boxster S" on the back of my car, no problem. Picked up a black "boxster" and a red "S" on ebay.
My "B" look identical to yours.

Just need some dental floss, plastic scraper, and some Goo Gone. Took about 1 hour to get all the glue residue off.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yesterday when I submitted the post, I accidentally hit "Submit" without finishing the post. So there's actually a bit more. I couldn't come & edit yesterday because it was under Moderator Approval - which happened sometime late last night. So if you guys could look over the original post again, there's a few more things on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
I replaced the "Boxster S" on the back of my car, no problem. Picked up a black "boxster" and a red "S" on ebay.
My "B" look identical to yours.

Just need some dental floss, plastic scraper, and some Goo Gone. Took about 1 hour to get all the glue residue off.
Ok - So basically it's a glue-on job and it's not actually screwed in to the back of the trunk using screws? You were able to get the original "Boxster" off using Dental Floss? What kind of glue did you need to stick the new one back on?

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
The rear script is sold by a few online vendors, such as Bumperplugs.com, or Suncoast Porsche.

The steering wheel emblem is a tricky one, and most likely cannot be removed unless you're extremely skilled with this sort of task. Not saying it's impossible but more likely risky. The badge on my 986 is scratched a little on the black bar but not much I can do. If money isn't a real issue, replacing the airbag may be a safer, easier alternative.

Ah yes, the rubberized paint. My mother's '06 987 has the same issue (also has the Sand Beige interior). You can either A) remove the rubberized paint and leave black, B) color-match after stripping, C) use a vinyl wrap. At least it's not as bad as period Volkswagens were, good lord.
I'll check out those Vendors. I saw one on Pelican Parts also in the meantime.

I had a feeling the Steering Wheel Emblem was going to be an issue. I wish it wasn't as scratched as it is. I might have to look into the entire Airbag/Cap replacement -- but I do believe that will be out of my bounds & will most likely require a Dealer.

Someone had suggested Vinyl wrap as well. That's a possibility I can explore - I'm not sure how to remove those 2 caps, so I'd have to look that up first.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #5

The scratched side piece behind your seats is attached to the carpeted piece directly below. I know on the 986 that the whole thing comes out as one assembly. IDK if you can seperate the pieces but at least if you pull the piece out, you could repaint the hard part.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci5r View Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

Yesterday when I submitted the post, I accidentally hit "Submit" without finishing the post. So there's actually a bit more. I couldn't come & edit yesterday because it was under Moderator Approval - which happened sometime late last night. So if you guys could look over the original post again, there's a few more things on the list.

Ok - So basically it's a glue-on job and it's not actually screwed in to the back of the trunk using screws? You were able to get the original "Boxster" off using Dental Floss? What kind of glue did you need to stick the new one back on?

Thanks!!

I'll check out those Vendors. I saw one on Pelican Parts also in the meantime.

I had a feeling the Steering Wheel Emblem was going to be an issue. I wish it wasn't as scratched as it is. I might have to look into the entire Airbag/Cap replacement -- but I do believe that will be out of my bounds & will most likely require a Dealer.

Someone had suggested Vinyl wrap as well. That's a possibility I can explore - I'm not sure how to remove those 2 caps, so I'd have to look that up first.

Thanks!
Removing the factory glue after removing the emblem takes a lot of goo be gone and patients. Go slow and don't use anything that could scratch the paint. When you receive your new emblem it comes ready to stick on. It has a rubberized sticky back. Make sure you mark where the old one came off so you can stick the new one in the same location.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
The scratched side piece behind your seats is attached to the carpeted piece directly below. I know on the 986 that the whole thing comes out as one assembly. IDK if you can seperate the pieces but at least if you pull the piece out, you could repaint the hard part.
Ok - So the whole piece, including the carpeted cloth underneath the piece - will need to be removed. That should be Ok as long as I can figure out where the screws are to remove this thing. I'll have to take a closer look at this to be sure I can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
Removing the factory glue after removing the emblem takes a lot of goo be gone and patients. Go slow and don't use anything that could scratch the paint. When you receive your new emblem it comes ready to stick on. It has a rubberized sticky back. Make sure you mark where the old one came off so you can stick the new one in the same location.
I saw some good options on Suncoast Porsche (Thanks to Deserion), and noticed the emblems come with sticky back - so that's good. Will definitely deploy plenty patience & goo-be-gone for this job; last thing I want to do is scratch the paint. The only thing I'm wondering - does it leave a mark at all once you've removed the original logo - or can it come off completely clean, leaving no residue/marking whatsoever? The reason I ask is, I do like the newer Porche/Boxster logo combination that comes on newer 2013+ models and it's easily available at Suncoast Porche. I'm toying with the idea of replacing the older Boxster logo with the newer Porche/Boxster emblems ... but obviously the sizing & placement is different, which means that if there's any marking of the old emblem left on the trunk, it will very likely be visible.

I would only be able to do that if I'm left with a white/markless trunk after removing the old Logo.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #8

You can use Plasti-Dip on the trim pieces and side vents, cheap and easy! www.DipYourCar.com
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci5r View Post
Ok - So the whole piece, including the carpeted cloth underneath the piece - will need to be removed. That should be Ok as long as I can figure out where the screws are to remove this thing. I'll have to take a closer look at this to be sure I can do this.

I saw some good options on Suncoast Porsche (Thanks to Deserion), and noticed the emblems come with sticky back - so that's good. Will definitely deploy plenty patience & goo-be-gone for this job; last thing I want to do is scratch the paint. The only thing I'm wondering - does it leave a mark at all once you've removed the original logo - or can it come off completely clean, leaving no residue/marking whatsoever? The reason I ask is, I do like the newer Porche/Boxster logo combination that comes on newer 2013+ models and it's easily available at Suncoast Porche. I'm toying with the idea of replacing the older Boxster logo with the newer Porche/Boxster emblems ... but obviously the sizing & placement is different, which means that if there's any marking of the old emblem left on the trunk, it will very likely be visible.

I would only be able to do that if I'm left with a white/markless trunk after removing the old Logo.

Thanks guys.
When I removed mine for the same reason, you could not tell where the old one was. My car is dark blue so I would say white will show no trace of the removed logo.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-r View Post
You can use Plasti-Dip on the trim pieces and side vents, cheap and easy! www.DipYourCar.com
I like that!! That could work really well for the Vent Grills on the sides. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
When I removed mine for the same reason, you could not tell where the old one was. My car is dark blue so I would say white will show no trace of the removed logo.
Awesome; that's what I wanted to hear. I could potentially remove the old one first; make sure nothing's visible & everything is good to go - then depending on how it turns out, I can order either the replacement emblem (if there's any visibility of the old one issues), or order the new Porsche/Boxster emblems.

Thanks!!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #11

1) Take off the "Boxster" badge, and don't replace it. Run naked. It's best.

2) For the scratched Porsche crest on the steering wheels. Mask it off, and polish with a small 3" Groit's orbital polisher. Maybe re-apply a thin coat of clear.

3) The side intake vents can be removed, and sent to Bumperplugs. He can paint those just about any Porsche color. He can also paint the parts that are scratched-up by your seat belts. If you want to replace them, the part number will be on the back, and just order new ones from Sunset Porsche (503-641-8600).

4) For the exhaust tip, remove it, and send to CCP Coatings in Detroit (313-369-2447). Have them ceramic coat it. Probably about $150. Flat black would look good.

5) Paint dings and chip- Dr. Color Chip

6) Scratches on your radio dials and HVAC- not sure how to fix
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #12

Lots of good & useable advice here! Thanks guys.

Quick question for you - can you elaborate on the scratched Porsche crest on the steering wheel. You mentioned "Mask it off, and polish with a small 3" Groit's orbital polisher. Maybe re-apply a thin coat of clear." ... I'm not clear.

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
1) Take off the "Boxster" badge, and don't replace it. Run naked. It's best.

2) For the scratched Porsche crest on the steering wheels. Mask it off, and polish with a small 3" Groit's orbital polisher. Maybe re-apply a thin coat of clear.

3) The side intake vents can be removed, and sent to Bumperplugs. He can paint those just about any Porsche color. He can also paint the parts that are scratched-up by your seat belts. If you want to replace them, the part number will be on the back, and just order new ones from Sunset Porsche (503-641-8600).

4) For the exhaust tip, remove it, and send to CCP Coatings in Detroit (313-369-2447). Have them ceramic coat it. Probably about $150. Flat black would look good.

5) Paint dings and chip- Dr. Color Chip

6) Scratches on your radio dials and HVAC- not sure how to fix
Old 10-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #13

The main temp button the A/C scratched all to hell. Same question.

I have a write up on how to take the unit out of the dash and remove the buttons. Once the buttons are removed you can repaint the buttons but will loose the Temp markings in white. Will get back to you with that write up if your interested.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #14

rp17, im interested in that write up. I have the same issue. please share if possible!
max_asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #15

Here you go. Fix for the peeling ac blower buttons. Only problem is you loose teh "Temp" in white when you respray. Someone came up with fix where they use the fan sign cut out with a exacto knife to block the paint to keep the buttons or something like that. Unfortunately the copies I made of this is at work in my desk.

fan switch soft touch peel - repaint - Articles

rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote