Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #21

I have some coaxial Alpine speakers in my dash and I really like the way they sound. I think they cost about $60 and to me they sound great, certainly a huge improvement over the stock ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker986 View Post
I decided I should go listen to speakers yesterday, as several members have recommended. I searched the web for the best rated car stereo shops in Cincy. The first place only had Focal speakers and the guy never offered to let me listen to any speakers, and had to go to the computer to figure out what could be installed in my car.

The second place had a huge set up of mostly JL Audio and Alpine, but no one was there on Saturdays to talk audio, only window tinting. When I asked to listen to the speakers they said their circuit board was blown and nothing worked.

Needless to say, my quest was a wasted trip.

I had decided to put in a single DIN, a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. While I love the looks of the double DINs, I want to try to keep the cost under $1,500, and keep the car stock looking.

My next quest is to find the best 4" speakers I can find. I have been trying to find what others have installed like, MB Quartz PVI-210, Boston Acoustics, or JL Audio. But, either I am not searching correctly, or they have been discontinued. I have a feeling that component speakers are the way to go over coaxial speakers for quality sound. Seems like Focal K2 100KRS at $650 is the most likely choice, although, I have read reports that those sound quite bright, especially bouncing off the windshield.

I am thinking I should spend the majority of my budget on the dash speakers and an amp. May keep existing door speakers, and probably will not have enough funds to replace any of the speakers in the Bose rear speakers boxes.

Are there any other considerations for 4" component speakers?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Needless to say, my quest was a wasted trip.

I had decided to put in a single DIN, a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. While I love the looks of the double DINs, I want to try to keep the cost under $1,500, and keep the car stock looking.

My next quest is to find the best 4" speakers I can find. I have been trying to find what others have installed like, MB Quartz PVI-210, Boston Acoustics, or JL Audio. But, either I am not searching correctly, or they have been discontinued. I have a feeling that component speakers are the way to go over coaxial speakers for quality sound. Seems like Focal K2 100KRS at $650 is the most likely choice, although, I have read reports that those sound quite bright, especially bouncing off the windshield.

I am thinking I should spend the majority of my budget on the dash speakers and an amp. May keep existing door speakers, and probably will not have enough funds to replace any of the speakers in the Bose rear speakers boxes.

Well, my budget is lower than yours and this is what I've decided to get.

HU
I didn't want nav (I use my iphone for that), and the idea of a double din didn't seem appealing to me.
I loved the DEH 80 PRS because:
- it has a good DAC (which for me is something I enjoy, because I think my iPhone 4S lacks it), and the iphone is my main audio source.
- it has high sound quality, which is another thing I enjoy too
- initially I was thinking to buy a 3 way setup (1 inch tweeter, 4 inch mids on the dash, and midbass on the doors), and the DEH 80 PRS allows to use active crossovers on the unit, so I could use it to setup a very high sound quality without having to buy a sound processor, and because of this, I would have the ability to setup very high sound quality within my budget.

If I didn't care about both these, I would go with the DEH-X9500BHS, because I wouldn't use the advantages of this model over the 80PRS.

speakers
The best bang for the buck 3 way system I've managed to find was for the Focal PS 165, but it was more than 500 USD. In my budget I could only get Hertz ELKs, and that's Hertz entry line, and these wouldn't be as good as a higher 2 way system.

I didn't want to spend 500+, so I began to think about the 2 way option. So I thought my perfect setup would be a set of Focal KR 2 way. But when I got to the seller, I learned that Focal has just launched the PS 165 FX that have better specs, so that was my choice. My 4 inch speaker pods are empty.

amp
I don't need much power, and I think the amp is the less important part on sq, and I don't want to play it loud for the neighbourhood , so I got a cheap 4 way Pioneer and bi amped the speakers.

IMHO, if you're willing to spend 600, I'd either go to Focal 3 way PS 165, or probably Focal PS 165 FX and crossed tweeter and mid passive to the high channel, mid channel to mid bass, and the back box on the low channel from the 80 PRS.

I wouldn't change the speakers on the bose box unless it distorted with 40w from the amplifier. I'd buy a 5/6 way amplifier. You can upgrade to 6.5 inch without changing factory look, which I know it is important for you. I think mine is the perfect setup for under 500 USD (speakers and columns, and because I don't want a sub).

With your budget, I'd go Focal PS 165 3(600 USD) way or PS 165 FX, (300USD) and a cheap 6 channel JBL amp (less than 300 USD). If the bose sub doesn't make your audio nicer, I'd change the 5.25 rear speakers for a couple of JL Audio C5-525cw (another 300).

I would think of this as a great sound quality for a 600-1200 budget. If you want it louder, drop another 150-200 for a powerfull amp.

Last edited by urban; 11-03-2013 at 10:54 AM.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #23

Urban, I can't find the Focal PS 165 3 setup for $600, or can I even find that here in the US. Only 2-way setup comes up on the search. Also, I did research the new Focal PS 165 F3 coming out, and it looks like they won't reach the US until next spring.

Read some decent reviews about the Focal Polys. But, the P165V33 are $900 from an authorized seller, and that means modifying the doors for the 6.5" speakers, I am not sure if the 1.75" tweeters would fit in the front dash bracket. Maybe they will go on sale when the new ones come out next spring.

I am interested in the Hertz speakers too. I appreciate you sharing your plan as it seems pretty close to where I may end up.

I need to become more educated on a digital sound processor and drivers. The Morels also look interesting.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Parker986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #24

Yes, I was talking about Focal PS 165 F3, but yes, they're not available yet. The shop where I ordered my FX set told me I'll have to wait 2 to 4 weeks, but I'm in EU. US will take a bit longer.
The front dash tweeter has 3/4", so a 1.75 won't do.
You can get a 165VR3 set from amazon for 800.

Hertz HSK 163 in 600 on amazon. I do like the Focals better.

About sound processing, the DEH 80 PRS already has a good 16 band eq, auto eq and time alignment. If you're going with that hu, you'll have a bit of sound processing.
Why do you need more?

Yeah, I've read good things about Morel speakers, but they're not available locally, so I've never heard how they sound.

Last edited by urban; 11-06-2013 at 07:02 AM.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #25

Garage
Just for completeness, I'll provide this link:

New 986 Stereo

I'd really consider a 2-way over the 3-way. easier to deal with the crossover, easier to deal with the amp, and much easier to "dial" it in.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
Track rat

Garage
+1 on choosing a quality 2-way speaker. Better value in most hifi applications.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
Track rat

Garage
These are probably worth a look. Decent bass and smooth natural response. High sensitivity so they get loud with less power needed. A Boxster on the highway is not exactly an ideal music listening environment but these Focals should be easy on the ears and true to the music.

Focal Performance PS 130 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #28

Just a thought. Since 4" component speakers are not common, a 4x6 plate speaker might be able to be adapted to fit the dash location. Trimming the plate seems like it would yield a speaker pair nearly identical (dimensionally) to the OEM speakers. Or perhaps if the 4" speaker and tweeter are removable from the plate that might be an ideal cheap OEM replacement.

Polk Audio DXi460p 4"x6" plate 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #29

Sorry, to say that I am not sure I know the answer to this question. When replacing the head unit, amp, and all speakers do I have to run all new wires, or can existing wires be reused?

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 12-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #30

I removed my passenger door panel to pull the speaker enclosure out. Had to move the car in the garage, so I reconnected the negative ground, so there is a loud ticking when I open the driver's door or turn on the ignition. Do I do something wrong?

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #31

I went with the Alpine SPR-50 5-1/4" in the doors and Alpine SPS-410 4" in the dash on my 986. Combined with a Alpine MRV-F300 amp. Perfect fit all around, sounds great, easy installation.
Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #32

I wanted to thank everyone for all their advice on replacing my Bose system. I found a local guy that I hired to help me with this install. He has also helped me pick out components. In the middle of the install right now.

The goal:
Clean crisp enjoyable sound, without vibrating the car with bass
Maintain as much of the OEM look as possible except for the Double DIN

The equipment:
Head Unit: Double DIN Alpine INE-S920HD
Install Kit: Purchased kit from Eurospeed on eBay. I can't speak highly enough about Loi, I have called him twice for help. He is great! His advice alone is worth the price of the kit. And, if the wiring harness works as easily as I think that will be outstanding.
Amplifiers: JL Audio XD 700/5 & JBL GTO-504EZ & JBL GTO-5EZ (one of the JBL will be going back).
Front Speakers, Tweets & 4": Morel Virtus 402 4" 2-way components (Will have to modify the speaker brackets)
Door Speakers: JBL gti 5.25 (used) I know you will all say you should have gone larger, but I did not want to build new baffles. I had to Dremmel out the OEM baffle to get these to fit.
Rear Subs: Morel CAW 538. Pretty limited choices here. I purchased one Focal Utopia Be 13 WS 5" shallow mount that I will be selling since I am not using it.
Rear Minis: Not sure yet
Sound Deadening: NVX SDDK 12 from Sonicelectronix
Amp Install Kit: KnuKonceptz KFX AK4-4 (way more than needed, all cables way too long)
Wiring & Connectors: Part Express

Will post a few pics once the project is complete, and share any challenges encountered to hopefully help anyone else looking to upgrade their MOST Bose system.

First lesson learned: I spent 3 hours trying to reroute the wires for the Climate Control down to the lower bay, continuing to try to feed them down the driver's side of the housing. Ended up with many cuts on my hands. Walked away, came back 2 hours later, and tried fishing them down the passenger side. Bingo, 10 minutes later, mission accomplished.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 01-19-2014, 04:56 AM   #33

Getting close to being finished. Made a few changes along the way.

I ended up adding resistors to the OEM 2 3/4" speakers in the rear deck in order to allow them to work with the Amplifier. I ran new speaker wires to the deck, but now I am second guessing how I ran the wires. I used the OEM speaker connector and wires for the subs, but ran all new wires for the rear little speakers and ran the wires right into the box. Hmmm, just realized now I can't remove the rear speaker deck without cutting those wires, and you have to remove the rear speaker deck to gain access to the engine. Interested in what others did when modifying their rear speaker deck.

Here's an update to my equipment list:

Quote:
The equipment:
Head Unit: Double DIN Alpine INE-S920HD
Install Kit: Purchased kit from Eurospeed on eBay. I can't speak highly enough about Loi, I have called him twice for help. He is great! His advice alone is worth the price of the kit. And, if the wiring harness works as easily as I think that will be outstanding.
Amplifiers: JL Audio XD 700/5 & JBL GTO-504EZ
Front Speakers, Tweets & 4": Morel Virtus 402 4" 2-way components
Door Speakers: JBL gti 5.25 (used)
Rear Subs: Morel EW 538. These are better woofers than the Morel CAW 538 I was originally going to get.
Rear Minis: Kept OEM speakers and added resistors and ran new wires.
Sound Deadening: NVX SDDK 12 from Sonicelectronix
Amp Install Kit: KnuKonceptz KFX AK4-4 (way more than needed, all cables way too long)
Wiring & Connectors: Part Express
Will post a few pics once the project is complete, and share any challenges encountered to hopefully help anyone else looking to upgrade their MOST Bose system.

As many have mentioned, so far I believe the most noticeable improvement is the front dash speakers.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #34

Just about finished now. Still have to build another false floor to go over Amp floor so I have some storage room.

I am looking for a little help please. Seems as though I have misplaced a couple screws and a couple are not taking when I screw them in.

First, I cannot find one of the screws that goes to the dash speaker grill.

Second, I cannot find the one screw that holds the instrument panel. This screw is located behind the Mic Cover.

The screws that hold the cover over the brake cylinder are not attaching. Since someone else disassembled the plastic panels in the frunk, I am not sure if there were clips behind these screws to hold in place.

I looked in my Bentley Service Manual and on Pelican Parts, but did not find anything detailed to identify the screws. Can someone head me in the right direction? Like are they torx 27 or 30, etc., how long, how many mm?

Here are a couple photos of the install. I hated losing the spare tire, but just could not get the Amps and Crossover to fit.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black