View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #32
Parker986

I wanted to thank everyone for all their advice on replacing my Bose system. I found a local guy that I hired to help me with this install. He has also helped me pick out components. In the middle of the install right now.

The goal:
Clean crisp enjoyable sound, without vibrating the car with bass
Maintain as much of the OEM look as possible except for the Double DIN

The equipment:
Head Unit: Double DIN Alpine INE-S920HD
Install Kit: Purchased kit from Eurospeed on eBay. I can't speak highly enough about Loi, I have called him twice for help. He is great! His advice alone is worth the price of the kit. And, if the wiring harness works as easily as I think that will be outstanding.
Amplifiers: JL Audio XD 700/5 & JBL GTO-504EZ & JBL GTO-5EZ (one of the JBL will be going back).
Front Speakers, Tweets & 4": Morel Virtus 402 4" 2-way components (Will have to modify the speaker brackets)
Door Speakers: JBL gti 5.25 (used) I know you will all say you should have gone larger, but I did not want to build new baffles. I had to Dremmel out the OEM baffle to get these to fit.
Rear Subs: Morel CAW 538. Pretty limited choices here. I purchased one Focal Utopia Be 13 WS 5" shallow mount that I will be selling since I am not using it.
Rear Minis: Not sure yet
Sound Deadening: NVX SDDK 12 from Sonicelectronix
Amp Install Kit: KnuKonceptz KFX AK4-4 (way more than needed, all cables way too long)
Wiring & Connectors: Part Express

Will post a few pics once the project is complete, and share any challenges encountered to hopefully help anyone else looking to upgrade their MOST Bose system.

First lesson learned: I spent 3 hours trying to reroute the wires for the Climate Control down to the lower bay, continuing to try to feed them down the driver's side of the housing. Ended up with many cuts on my hands. Walked away, came back 2 hours later, and tried fishing them down the passenger side. Bingo, 10 minutes later, mission accomplished.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Parker986 is offline   Reply With Quote