Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by laphan View Post
Well, not too add to this boxster/911 thing.
owning both 996 and 986 of the same year make me realize that people who think lowly on boxster normally not porsche owners or never driven a boxster before.
Once someone approached me in gas station filling up the boxster asking about boxster as cheap porsche and 911 is the real porsche. I shot him down by saying boxster is actually more like a real porsche than 911. He was not happy by saying that only people can't afford 911 can say that. So I pulled the 911 registration out of my pocket and showed him that I own both, definitely know porsche better than him, his face turned red and left.

I thought about selling the boxster after I decided to buy the 996. I cannot let my self selling the boxster, they are different cars. Boxster is more fun to drive, more like a go kart. 911 is more like a GT car, quiet and smooth. Main reason for 996 is the back seat for my daughter.

Also, try to push boxster and 911 to their limit with traction off, and see what happens.
I did and the results in 996 ain't pretty with the back end on the wrong side (almost no mercy when the rear end steps out)...
Which prompts the question: Why do you carry your car's registration with you... if you aren't driving it? This is almost as mind-boggling to me as PL's statement about filling up somewhere that actually has a gas-station attendant... or worrying about what some stranger, that I'll never see again, says about me or my car... or feeling the need to regale him with my knowledge on all-things-historical about a car company. We get enough people *where I live* that come to my door proselytizing that I really feel no need to further engage with strangers in an attempt to convert them into a Boxster-Beliber or enter into a gas station for something overpriced and processed in exchange for forthcoming accolades. But that's me -- I don't go looking for conversations in gas stations, parking lots, or elsewhere -- not when I have the internet! Carry on.

I'll just go wonder if I should carry registrations, tax statements, retirement summaries, and pictures of other sources of wealth as I grab the list for Target -- just in case I'm stopped.

Last edited by cfos; 08-25-2013 at 10:55 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Which prompts the question: Why do you carry your car's registration with you... if you aren't driving it? This is almost as mind-boggling to me as PL's statement about filling up somewhere that actually has a gas-station attendant... or worrying about what some stranger, that I'll never see again, says about me or my car... or feeling the need to regale him with my knowledge on all-things-historical about a car company. We get enough people *where I live* that come to my door proselytizing that I really feel no need to further engage with strangers in an attempt to convert them into a Boxster-Beliber or enter into a gas station for something overpriced and processed in exchange for forthcoming accolades. But that's me -- I don't go looking for conversations in gas stations, parking lots, or elsewhere -- not when I have the internet! Carry on.

I'll just go wonder if I should carry registrations, tax statements, retirement summaries, and pictures of other sources of wealth as I grab the list for Target -- just in case I'm stopped.
I'm in full agreement with a lot of what you've said. I didn't buy the thing for anyone but myself and I don't give a crap what anyone thinks about my boxster, or any of my other financial or recreational choices.

I haven't had anyone look down on it, but I've had some interesting reactions.
-"what, did you rob a bank??" I work for a bank
-"mid life crisis?" Actually, yes. Most of the men in my family haven't lived to 70. I'm working toward a plan to improve my health, set myself up to retire in my 50s, and to have a great friggin time while I'm still young.
-I own some income property and one of my tenants reactions was "damn, you don't look like a rapper or football player!"
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #103

We always have a gas station attendant in NJ, it's Illegal to pump your own gas!
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #104

Conversation at gas stations is nothing new for me .
We get the "nice car!!" Thing almost every time one of us goes out .
Debbie's boxster even more so since the new wheels went on last week

I followed her in the c4 as we dropped the boxster at the paintshop last week , and people's faces where priceless as she drove past
I saw her stop conversation a few times as we cruised pch ... One of the times was 3 old guys smoking and talking outside a bar in sunset beach . Two had their backs to the road and the one who spotted her car just pointed with an open mouth :LOL:

I guess things must be different in SoCal ... The auto culture is huge and ingrained upon all from an early age , and the amount of cool cars on the street at any given time has to be seen to be believed .

I am often giving people the thumbs up .
Probably more than I get them .

I seem to get more than my fair share of thumbs from bikers and older muscle car guys .

Last edited by Ian c; 08-25-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #105

Oh , and we went to the porsche club racing at Fontana speedway today in a new beetle ....

Try driving one of these if you're worried about the boxster comments !! r :lol:

Last edited by Ian c; 08-25-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #106

Garage
Is that a new style Beetle, or an older one ?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #107

the thread that keeps on giving
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #108
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

I don't understand the debate, my Porsche boxter says Porsche on it. But what I have found is 911 owners are more clueless about their car. The bulk of boxter owners I have found tend to work on their own cars. Do all their maintenance and are more in tune to debate about the intermediate shaft bearing problem and so on. The 911 motor of this era has the same issues, it's basically the same car. But what I have found when I get a new customer of a 911 in and I asked him if the cars IMS has been changed or updated they look at me as if I'm talking another language. Here in Texas there is a saying about a man in a cowboy hat, that is a city slicker "all hat and no cattle". I tend to find these kind of folks driving the 911, the trophy wife is with them, that generally has more plastic on her that that GT3 he is driving, kind of "all hat and no cattle"type. And I really could care less if they look down their nose at me. For if they break down and I pull up alongside of them in my boxter and help them get the car back on the road, I wonder who is more the true enthusiast.

The other day I was riding with a friend in his air cooled 911 SC. We came up to a stoplight, some suit type pulled up in a GT R next to us. When the light turned green the GT R took off in launch mode. It was very impressive we had hardly made it to the second crosswalk line, the GT R was already in the next county. My friend turned to me as he shifted into second gear and said "it's still not a Porsche"

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Is that a new style Beetle, or an older one ?
It's an Old new beetle ....
The aircooled ones where ever called a beetle , but a type 1 .
I have one f them D
Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
I don't understand the debate, my Porsche boxter says Porsche on it. But what I have found is 911 owners are more clueless about their car. The bulk of boxter owners I have found tend to work on their own cars. Do all their maintenance and are more in tune to debate about the intermediate shaft bearing problem and so on. The 911 motor of this era has the same issues, it's basically the same car. But what I have found when I get a new customer of a 911 in and I asked him if the cars IMS has been changed or updated they look at me as if I'm talking another language. Here in Texas there is a saying about a man in a cowboy hat, that is a city slicker "all hat and no cattle". I tend to find these kind of folks driving the 911, the trophy wife is with them, that generally has more plastic on her that that GT3 he is driving, kind of "all hat and no cattle"type. And I really could care less if they look down their nose at me. For if they break down and I pull up alongside of them in my boxter and help them get the car back on the road, I wonder who is more the true enthusiast.

The other day I was riding with a friend in his air cooled 911 SC. We came up to a stoplight, some suit type pulled up in a GT R next to us. When the light turned green the GT R took off in launch mode. It was very impressive we had hardly made it to the second crosswalk line, the GT R was already in the next county. My friend turned to me as he shifted into second gear and said "it's still not a Porsche"
I've noted a few of your posts recently .
My advice is to stay away from the keyboard and concentrate on building your business
"All publicity is good publicity" rarely works in the automotive trade
Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #111

Quote:
Haha, great story.

I love GTRs though. They are amazing machines. They are what made me 'consider' a flappy paddle.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #112
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Haha, great story.

I love GTRs though. They are amazing machines. They are what made me 'consider' a flappy paddle.
They are very fast. I love them too

Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #113
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
I've noted a few of your posts recently .
My advice is to stay away from the keyboard and concentrate on building your business
"All publicity is good publicity" rarely works in the automotive trade
“You can have any colour you want, so long as it is black" Henry Ford

Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #114

Quote:
“You can have any colour you want, so long as it is black" Henry Ford
"I dropped a car off the trolley jack" : nobody I would ever deal with ...
Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post

Well, where I live, I got pulled over ALOT by cops to just want to make sure that my car is not a stolen vehicle (welcome to Detroit). Happened 3 times last year on me and twice I could not find my registration and ticketed for that. There are 2 sides/copies on registration papers in MI, so I left one in the car and the other in my wallet.
Well, this person in the gas station was driving an M3. I was there first and he pulled in and started the conversation.

laphan is offline   Reply With Quote