986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The Boxster, the poor man's porsche and Inferiority complex (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47870-boxster-poor-mans-porsche-inferiority-complex.html)

madmods 08-19-2013 10:21 PM

The Boxster, the poor man's porsche and Inferiority complex

More 08-20-2013 01:08 AM

I'm pretty sure the 986 Porsche Boxster is the most successful car ever made by the company and the sole reason why Porsche is even still alive today and because of this I am very proud of my car.

madmods 08-20-2013 03:05 AM

trimer 08-20-2013 04:23 AM

My boxster cost as much as a lot of the 996s I was looking at. I dont see it as anything less of a car because it is a boxster. I enjoy the size of the car, the power (always want more) but it is good and the looks are fantastic. As far as other 986 owners busting other peoples chops, that is just people being mean spirited...IMO.

ekam 08-20-2013 04:36 AM

http://cdn.meme.li/i/bjsp8.jpg

SeanZ4 08-20-2013 05:32 AM

Really?? Would a moderator please close this thread?

RawleyD 08-20-2013 05:42 AM

I don't see any haters here.

This is the coolest and most fun car I've ever had in my life, I love it! :)
Definitely dont feel inferior in it

madmods 08-20-2013 05:44 AM

kashmir 08-20-2013 05:44 AM

The Boxster handles better than the 911

The Boxster handles better than the ass heavy 911, period.

1olddude 08-20-2013 05:47 AM

I haven't seen any one on this forum bash other 986 owners. This is by far the most friendly forum on the web. With that said, I would like to BASH the dude that started this thread. He clearly has no clue what it means to own a 986, and I think he has a major inferiority complex because he drives around in a Ford Pinto. Cheers mates!

madmods 08-20-2013 05:54 AM

madmods 08-20-2013 05:56 AM

jb92563 08-20-2013 06:04 AM

Love my Boxster and feel like I'm driving a race car every day.

I choose it because it suits ME!

To each their own. I'm glad not everyone drives a Boxster as I like having a unique and special car.

Every time someone revs, races by or flashes a thumbs up, I know its a compliment and I take it as such.

I can not say that I have noticed mean folks here, although sometimes there are some pretty strong differences of opinion, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and we can agree to disagree.

There are always some folks who have reason to be hostile in a forum as it may be their only place to vent on circumstances in their own life, like an IMS failure, car troubles, home troubles etc, and we just have to take it with a grain of salt and not engage in those discussions if they are upsetting to us.

Those threads quickly die out after the obligatory battle of egos has subsided and is an occupational hazard of being men/boys with Testosterone raging.

I'm curious about your examples of poor behavior, as I have not noticed it.

Honestly I think perhaps your post is whats refered to as a troll, an invitation to engage in some kind of debate.

If you have suggestions to improve this forum I'm open to hearing them, but bashing folks for their opinions is just poor sportsmanship.

Eric G 08-20-2013 06:28 AM

The only reason that someone feels inferior about their Boxster is because they let other people set their personal agenda for them. But sadly in today's society people are expected to conform to "societal" norms rather than be singularly expressive.

As for my Boxster, it is what it is...a two seat roadster that brings miles of sunny delight when I take her out on the road.

Good to hear from you Madmod's...has been awhile and I had figured that you had lost yourself in the hill country since redoing your suspension!

As for cleaning up the place around here...I personally would watch out for the JD character...I hear he is placing GPS tracking devices in his key chains so he can selectively remove members from a remote location and no one will suspect!

madmods 08-20-2013 06:30 AM

coreseller 08-20-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 358293)

This.

Pointless Self Perpetuating Whining.
:barf:

madmods 08-20-2013 06:36 AM

Perfectlap 08-20-2013 06:46 AM

Madmods,

You must not spend very much time on the Carrera forums. This is by far, and I mean like a country mile, the most civil auto forum I've visited since the internets were born. Even the auto detailing forums have had more arguments over whether this wax is better than yours (epic death matches).

p.s.
Regarding the inferiority complex thing. First of all if you drive at least a 97-01 Boxster, you are essentially driving a Carrera by part number.
If you consider the unecesarily de-tuned Carrera engine in the Boxster as one part, and randomly pulled a part off the 986 there's a better chance that you'll be holding a 996 Carrera part than Boxster. The Boxster and Carrera were developed as essentially one design. Any other manufacturer producing cars with identical middle to front ends would have simply called the Boxster the Carrera Roadster, and of course this would have meant putting in a non-detuned engine. But Porsche masters at marketing as they are, came up with this forced hierarchy even though the parts bin betrays them. Then they went one better in the 987 series and presented to the world a simple Boxster variant (one with a tin top) as a car with a completely different name. What was esentially one car evolves into three, production costs slashed. The public none the wiser.

Also, I find that a many people won't drive a Boxster because of inferiority complex/insecurity. They bought into the highly effective Porsche marketing spin and feel that people will judge them as being less successful, or worse less masculine, if they aren't in the most expensive Porsche.
This same mentality applies to Miatas, Mini Coopers and maybe even the FRS. At the end of the day, the one Porsche that sets the bar in its class is still the Boxster. That's all it can do.

kashmir 08-20-2013 06:57 AM

I love my Boxster, it is way cool, I grew up in L.A. and drove my Grandpa's Rover P4, at the time I thought it was uncool, but now I would trade one of my children for one.
I would buy this car before I get a 911
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1377010563.jpg

madmods 08-20-2013 06:59 AM