Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #21

How expensive is it? Tbh, if you ask for a hearing you'll probably end up having to pay more (hearing fee, court fee, etc). If you can, just pay it. You'll soon forget about it and all the negative energy it's causing you. My .02 if it's even worth that.

eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #22

Its the points on my license I don't want. I could care less about the $$. If I could pay triple and get no points I would.
conzboneeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #23

if it's like any other town/municipality in the country, they'd rather have money.

call the DA of the issuing authority and ask about deferred adjudication (or deferred dispensation) and ask it to be dismissed. tell them you had just purchased the car and was just beginning to get the feel for the thing. if they're like everyone else i've dealt with, they're more than happy to take a little extra money (court costs + ticket cost) and not have to go to traffic court. as long as you don't get another ticket within 1 year, they'll dismiss the charges.

arguing with the officer will get you nowhere. he can claim in court you were belligerent. it doesn't matter if everyone else was going faster than you were, you were the one who got pulled over. maybe it's not fair, but that's how it is.

the key is to be nice, like you're made of sugar with honey on top. they get so many calls with people upset about how they were singled out, or how the cop was out to get them, or how it's not fair, or waaahh-waahh they have no desire to "help" since they'll most likely get a conviction anyway. you've already admitted you were speeding. that ship has sailed.

that's pretty much all a lawyer is going to do, and charge you another $500 to make the phone call.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 08-05-2013 at 12:05 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #24

Hey Tony thanks bro I hear ya.

Oh, I was sweet as sugar and I never admitted anything. And I will be sweet in court also. I'm not a fool been in court give everyone their due respect. But I do know how to leave someone thinking did he mean that nicely? As long as you say it nice they have no way of knowing.

And I did tell the cop that I couldn't say thank you under the circumstances, but I could tell him to be safe since my brothers were cops and I did tell him that sincerely. I think he felt a little bad after that (nawwwwww!). And I meant it. LE is a tuff job I am sure he has seen some bad wrecks with people all jammed up. I've heard the stories. But I also know that just rolling over never gets one anywhere.

I am going to call DA and ask for the adjudication as suggested. Thank you! If that doesn't work I will just let lawyer do it. I looked up points its 3 on license 4 insurance my rates would go up at least 50%. Rather drop the $$ on the court and/or lawyer will be a lot less than the increased premium over time.

Great tip thank you sir!

Last edited by conzboneeus; 08-05-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #25

I spent a day in traffic court a few years back to fight a front plate ticket. It was highly entertaining! It seemed like every sterotypical driver was there: the elderly asian woman, the teenager with a new sports car (represented by dad), the teenage girl that knocked someones door off in a parking lot, the addict speeding to the methadone clinic. The judge was hilarious! Should have his own reality TV show. Just about everyone one got points or fine reduced just because they showed up (except the drug addict). Well worth going if you have the time.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #26

I called the DA of the county that has the case. My court date is not actually a court date. There will be no judge nor will the officer be present. It is simply a chance for people to speak with the assistant DA to see if they can avoid court by coming to an understanding of some sort.

So that's where I may be able to get it reduced. I will have to look at the infractions to see what may be a reasonable deal. One point reduction is not going to do me a lot of good but 2 points reduced or even down to something with no points is great. I'll pay $$ whatever.

If no deal then they schedule a day in court for real with judge and officer. I forgot to ask if I can request jury trial as well. I know from my brothers they really don't want to go through the court thing. They hope people just mail it in, and most do.

So I go 9/18 we shall see. Meanwhile I have new cig plug coming. Am looking at Top Speed catback exhaust, although the whole FabSpeed package with ECU upgrade looks like the bomb. At almost 5K it better be the bomb!

Does a mod like the complete FabSpeed package shorten engine life?

Tony, I just saw the violin player emoticon I am surprised you didn't hit me with that when I was whining!