Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #1

Proper engine warm-up

I'm curious to see how other Boxster owners start their cars up when the engine is stone cold.

My routine consists of

Start and let idle for 1 min (not applying any gas pedal)

Take off and never let the engine go above 2500 RPM until 180deg is reached
(I have a tip, so it requires constant upshifting)

After 180deg is reached, give it hell

On shut down it is:

Let engine reach normal temps first.

Prior to shutting off engine, let it idle for 1 min .
(this lets a slobbery coat of oil coat all the parts at low rpm)

With all the well known int shaft issues, maybe RMS and cylinder sleves I just wonder if this is a result of improper warmup???

I grew up on a ranch and my grandfather would kick butt if I treated any ranch equipment other than the above.

Regards

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #2

I have a similar ritual but not quite. I let the car sit until the idle settles to 750 rpm(though Porsche states to just go). I don't exceed 3,500 rpm until up to temp(porsche says you can take it to 4,200 when cold). I just shut it down and let it sit once done.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #3

Well...... I guess your approach wouldn't hurt, but not sure it is neceesary. With today's engine and oil, let the engine idle for one minute is plenty. As for shutting down, I don't have any procedure other putting it in the first gear.
underDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #4

I am in San Jose and the weather is like Fresno.

I start it up and since I live about 3 minutes from the freeway I am up to a "tad" beyond the speed limit and in the rev limiter. Then I shut it off when I arrive.

Been doing this for almost 7 years. Car has almost 60k miles. No engine or RMS issues.

Guess I will not be going to Porsche heaven.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
My car idles a good 10minutes every morning before i take off.....Never really done anything special on shut down except turn it off...
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #6

I could have sworn the manual for my new 987 says to start the car and drive immediately without letting it sit and idle.
faterikcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #7

I just start mine up and go. I dont go over like 4k rpms until warm. My car rarely sees over 5k anyway.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by faterikcartman
I could have sworn the manual for my new 987 says to start the car and drive immediately without letting it sit and idle.

Yes it does say that and being a Porsche I thought the intstructions would be a little more detailed. EVery other car on the market has those same instructions!! yet I don't know anyone who would ever do that in freezing temps.
Cold engine starts are a cause of engine wear no debating that.
When its real cold I try to let it sit until the temp is up to at least 180 which might take at least five minutes when outside temps drop below 32.

I think they tell you to drive off because if every car manufacturer told owners to let it warm up for three minutes there would propbably be an enviromental law suit. Just think about the amount of oil is consumed everyday in this country from owners just starting up their cars, sitting in traffic, sitting at red lights, drive-thru fast food eateries....
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #9

I think mfg's say start the car and drive immediately because they know most people garage their cars and the mfg's don't want the liability of carbon monoxide poisoning.

It was explained to me, for all internal combustion engines, the pistons are actually oval shapped at start up, they do not actually become circular until operating temps are reached.

This being the case, you have more wear concentrated along the wrist pin sides and more "blow by" contaiminating the oil.

As they say "Starting your car is a terrible thing to do"

Old 01-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #10

Start your car, put on your seat belt, lock doors, turn on radio,

Drive away slowly and don't hammer the car till engine is at operating temp.

Turn off car.

That's all she wrote!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #11

The manual says not to allow it to sit idling. It is actually dangerous to let the car sit and idle. The problem is the O2 sensors do not do anything until they are warm, ie. no adjustments at all. When the car idles cold, it has a tendancy to not burn off all of the fuel in the chamber. Since the O2 sensors are not adjusting the mixture to keep from having extra fuel, the unburned fuel rolls down the exhaust to the cats. Voila...CAT FIRE

The chances of cat fire increase the longer you let it idle since more excess fuel collects down the exhaust. If you start driving, the excess fuel is burned off because the engine is running faster. If you have to warm it up before driving, sit in it and keep the rpm up at about 2000-2500 so it burns fuel more efficiently and has no runoff into the exhaust.

Personally, I start it and go. I try to stay under 3K rpm until it reaches operating temp, then stomp it. The reason for warm up is to get the oil to operating temp so it will flow freely through the entire engine. Keeping it at lower rpms until reaching operating temp accomplishes this without the risk of a cat fire.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:01 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
i would like to start and then get the seat belt on, but that loud seat belt beeping drives me batty. so i seat belt, start, and go, keeping it below 3000 until the engine reaches 175.

i leave mine in neutral when shut off -- should i be leaving it in first? does it matter?
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbennett
It was explained to me, for all internal combustion engines, the pistons are actually oval shapped at start up, they do not actually become circular until operating temps are reached.
Can someone educate me, please?

Boxster used 0W oil which is extreme thin oil. Cold weather really has very little effect on the circulation of the oil. Cold weather is hard on battery and ignition. But once the engine started. There is no issue. Prolonged idling only adds more pullution and more carbon deposit on the injection system including valves. My 2 cents.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by underDAWG
Can someone educate me, please?

Prolonged idling only adds more pullution and more carbon deposit on the injection system including valves. My 2 cents.
I don't let it sit and idle in the morning, I do drive off after about 1 min. Its just I keep the RPM below 2500 until 185deg is reached, driving it with a slight load on the engine.

Hell, I'm just an IT guy, I my be talking out of my A@@ here.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by underDAWG
Prolonged idling only adds more pullution and more carbon deposit on the injection system including valves. My 2 cents.
Great point with the deposits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhduxbury
i leave mine in neutral when shut off -- should i be leaving it in first? does it matter?
There are two advantages to leaving it in gear. One is on a hill or if parked on the side of the road and hit, leaving it in gear gives you an added hold against rolling. The other is when you put the car in gear after starting it wears on the gear a miniscule amount more than when the tranny is warm. That being said, it's such a little difference you aren't really doing any harm to the tranny so it really does not matter. I'd just keep it in gear if you're on a hill or parked on a street.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #16

I heard that Porsche recommends "start and go" simply due to the amount of extra pollution that warming it up for a few minutes in idle produces. They're very conscious about pollution, you know. The black forest must have got its name from all the cars blowing through there year after year

Personally, I start, take off immediately, but keep the rpms under 4k until it's at normal operating temperature... then I nail it and enjoy myself.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhduxbury

It depends. IF you have auto, there is no need, since there is no way it will pop out from "PARK". IF manual, I always put in gear to ensure it is 100% safe, and I don't use parking brake either. Parking brake is not reliable, since it runs via cable. Overtime it stretchs and becomes ineffective. It also depends on how hard you pull the handle and how steep the grade on the street. In other words, there are too many variable to worry about. Therefore, put in gear is prefered because once you are in gear, you will be sure it will not go anywhere. Many others also apply hand brake al, but I don't unless I am in very extreme situation, such as offroading at very steep grade.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
i should have been more clear -- i have manual and only leave it in neutral where it's totally flat (like my garage). i was wondering more about transmission issues related to that practice. also, i have to back out of my garage so, there, my first move would be to shift into reverse (i suppose it could be left in reverse). anyways, thanks for the insights!
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #19

Hey bhduxbury,

It is perfectly fine just use hand brake on level ground (i.e. garage). Since there is no ill-effect leaving in gear when the engine is off, it is a good practice.

Over the years I have read so many horror stories about running away cars, because the drivers forget to apply adequate hand brake. This often happens when the driver is preoccupied. Therefore I always encourage others to use gear when engine is not running. I also tell others that when start the engine, always depresses the clutch pedal even if it is not needed. I guess good habits always come in handy.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #20

Hey bhduxbury,

It is perfectly fine just use hand brake on level ground (i.e. garage). Since there is no ill-effect leaving in gear when the engine is off, it is a good practice.

Over the years I have read so many horror stories about running away cars, because the drivers forget to apply adequate hand brake. This often happens when the driver is preoccupied. Therefore I always encourage others to use gear when engine is not running. I also tell others that when start the engine, always depresses the clutch pedal even if it is not needed. I guess good habits always come in handy.

Cheers