Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #1

Air ALWAYS on when I start the car

So the air is on when I start car like I said. One hit of the fan button and it is off. No matter what I do before I shut car down or start it up, this still happens. Normal? Gremlin named Hans? And how will this effect my IMS

Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #2

Garage
I'm not sure how the 2003 differs from the 1998. Mine shut off if you push the snowflake so it is no longer lit on display. I then hold the fan switch - until the bar graph is out, then hit the fan - one more time it says Off. Mine stays off until I hit any function key. Condition is not effected by starting or stopping engine. The Off is still displayed the next time I start the engine.

If only the Snowflake is pushed so it is not illuminated on the display and the car if turned off. It is still off the next time I start the engine
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 07-21-2013 at 07:10 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Is there a chance that the control unit is set in "Auto" mode? If so, then every time you start the car the controller will probably want to turn on the A/C and/or crank up the fan speed. Try manually setting the climate control to see if that helps. If not, ???
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Do you mean the AC, or just the fan? When you set the fan in the off position and shut the car off, the fan will always turn on, on its lowest setting, when you start the car again.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

AC and fan. I have done all the suggestions above. Not a big deal, but thought I'd ask.
Thanks.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Do you mean the AC, or just the fan? When you set the fan in the off position and shut the car off, the fan will always turn on, on its lowest setting, when you start the car again.
Just to clarify this is how mine works, and per the procedures in my manual, but mine is a 2003.

The Snowflake . AC on/off, Like Thstone said if not in auto, shuts off my AC compressor and this will stay off the next time I start the engine.

The - fan button if the display is turned the whole way down with no bars displayed any longer, and then I hit it one more time the display actually says "OFf". The display still shows "OFf" the next time I start the engine every thing is off.

If I only decrease the display until it no longer has a bar showing on the display, then the fan start the next time the engine is started.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

Garage
For my '97, every time I start the car, (I rarely use the climate control) it always shows 64. I press the fan down button once and it will show OFF. If I shut the car off and restart it, it will show 64 again.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #8

No matter what, when I put my key in the ignition switch to start my 1999 Boxster the fan comes on. It is usually in a low position.

I believe it is normal.

If I don't want it on, I just cut it off.

If I had the A/C on when I last had the car started & did not cut off the A/C before cutting off the car...then the A/C will be on when I start the car again.

Just my two cents.

MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote