Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #1

Suspension Work

Hello All, I've put a few posts up on various topics and I'm always amazed by the response, this forum is the best thing next to owning a 986 it self!...lol

Last year I had a new set of Bilstien shocks installed on the rear ( Blown rear Passenger shock ) solved that loud knock over bumps. I also replaced the squeeky CV boot arms ( I forget what they are called) I had the grease injected into the old ones while waiting for the replacements to show up, I'm thinking I may need spme more work on the rear and need to know, based on the current performance, what I need done. he roads up here in Newfoundland are pretty rough in spots, and it can take the enjoyment out of the ride so I'm looking to optimize it.

1999, 986, 70K

MY SYMPTOMS: when I'm making a turn on an intersection at slow speeds I'm getting alot of bounce and left to right roll... ( sometimes I look like one of those toys with the spring for a neck that bobbles back & forth ...lol... true! ) Although the ride is pretty smooth over typical bumps & road undulations on slightly more serious road bumps & drops in the pavement it gets pretty annoying. Also, the car ( over all ) doesn't hug the curves as well as is use to... it seems to want to slip out with inertia...if that makes sense? Last year I also had the front wheel bearings replaced... that made a world of difference...the car went from a pretty good ride ( up front ) to an amazingly smooth ride after the bearings...so I'm wondering if the rear bearings may be playing a role in the ride, noises, and cornering performance.

MY QUESTION: what part(s) in the suspension should I have looked at for replacement? if needed... or could it be a case of just needing everything tightened up back there? If so what?.. The Bilstiens were yellow, and about $500+ each... not sure of the model of them ie.... are they adjustable?..and could this be the issue?

As always, I appreciate any and all input and advice you guys can offer : )

Cheers

Paul

Imacman

Newfoundland Canada

Ps:... I wasn't sure where to post this on here, if there is a better or more appropriate are of the forum for this, can someone let me know.
: )

IMACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #2

Tbh with you to replace just shocks and nothing else t this stage of the cars life is pointless enough exercise - you really need new control arms, a complete bushings kit (not for coffin arms, they'll be on the new ones, anti roll bars, coils, drop links... The lot!

I did mine about 2 months ago - the total spend was nearly 4k in euros (I didn't have time to do it myself) labour was very expensive as its a big time consuming job.

To say though that the car is like new would be the understatement of the century! Not a sing,e creak, bang or squeak out of it and the set up makes the car drive and turn in like a dream.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #3

Order of Importance?

Thanks Whippy... I'm hoping to get the ride back to as new as possible ( as you've described on you car )...I'm not sure I can get it all done at once, $$$ is there an order I can go in with the individual installs that makes sense?... and where is the best place to order parts at the best prices? any Idea?

The only Porsche Guy up here is no longer "Up Here"... But I'm told...doing suspension brakes etc.. is something any qualified mechanic can do?... Not sure if thats true or not?

Thanks

Imacman

Paul

Newfoundland
Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

hi there, I'd suggest you do the front shocks first and have the mech check everything else. It sounds like you've got a horrible ride at present and beyond shocks, it's anybody's guess as to what's next on the list. A 'regular' mech can do this stuff on your car. I think the new shocks will make a big improvement. As for where- I'm a big believer in OEM parts and the cheapest sources are Sunset Porsche in Oregon ( tax free zone to boot!) and Suncoast Porsche in Florida. I'll send you a PM.
What is the date for the Targa Newfoundland? It's a real dream for me to run in it someday- the best race in Canada!

Last edited by woodsman; 07-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #5

I replaced all my suspension myself (all control arms, struts, mounts and sway bar links/bushings). At first, I was sceptical about doing it myself until I found this:

Boxster Hacks and Instructions

Just follow it step by step and you should be fine. I did not run into any issue. Make sure you have all the tools mentioned in the article...
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #6

I'd agree - defo front shocks now and again I'd agree where to go from there is a crystal ball job. Really after your shocks are done I'd actually start saving and do no more until you have the $$$ to do everything at once, it'd be a shame to get the car in, up on a ramp and pay labour costs to only do one thing at a time from there.

Yet again I'd agree OEM parts are the only way to go! A supplier that side of the Atlantic I'd have no idea about I'm afraid - I'm Irish but currently living in Almaty, Kazakhstan!

No harm to check out Matt at type911.co.uk - he's the best and the fairest in my jurisdiction and if its to get to Newfoundland from Florida, it might as well come from London!
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

RE Suspension Work

Thanks For the responses so far...

WOODSMAN: You mention doing the front shocks first?... the ride ( bump wise ) in the front is actually pretty smooth, when I replaced the front wheel Bearings the front end tightened up nicely. I may be missing something?... YES the Targa race is quite the event up here Starts Sept 14th and concludes Sept 21... I'd love to enter it... I know all of the roads & the course very well.... it's a tough & challenging run all around.... many a car has met it's match here on the rock in Targa...lol.. great fun. here's a link...

Targa Newfoundland - Updates

LAPHAN: Thanks... I do have a few mechanic buddies with home garages... I've only ever let one guy that knows P cars work on it ( mechanically )... but I'm told any mechanic can do this. So I may have a run at it with him.

WHIPPY: Thanks Again, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to just have it all done now at once ( Got jealous after reading your post regarding the result )...it's not that I don't have the $$$ as such.... it's the "accountant" in the family that's watching...lol.. I just put a New Roof with Glass Window with rear Defog on the car..... I have a new windshield going in on Tuesday ( a fair amount of Pitting in this one. ) and just spent $500 on high speed buffing and a professional wax job.... so she has her eyes on me now... even though I just got her a Land Rover as a distraction...lol... the hardest part for me is knowing what parts to buy.... as I said the rear shocks, front wheel bearings and ( I think Control Arms?... squeaky things with rubber boots that could be greased? ) are all Brand new... anyone have a list of what else I need?

Thanks

Imacman

Paul

Newfoundland
Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Best Shop for all this?

Found this...do I need all this??? if so where can I get a good price on it all..

Boxster 986 Complete Suspension Overhaul

Cheers Imacman

Paul