Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #1

Garage
LA Traffic!!!!AAAH

Just Spent a week in LA and now I know why there are road rage deaths. The only time I really wished I had My Boxster the whole week was coming back from the coast highway over Topanga Canyon Road. I may have to go Back rent a P-car and try it.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #2

Funny! Having just returned from a vacation up 101 to 1 to Montery I understand your pain. On the good news, almost every passing lane I just dropped in in to third (into 2nd once) and zipped around the slow pokes. It was killing me to be doing 35 in a 55 zone.

Only scared the wife once. The time I dropped it into 2nd and hit 90+ (might have been higher as I stopped looking at the speedometer), but it was a long straightaway and I merged with plenty of room to spare. It is so much nicer to cruise up the 1 without traffic. Nice curves. Good scenery. and Cool. Averaged 60~70 vs. the 115 where I live in Palm Desert.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

Garage
Curious to know how many motor cycle fatalities a year on the 405 and 5 they are nuts!!
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Just Spent a week in LA and now I know why there are road rage deaths. The only time I really wished I had My Boxster the whole week was coming back from the coast highway over Topanga Canyon Road. I may have to go Back rent a P-car and try it.
Welcome to our crazy little world. As with most places, local knowledge does make the roads in LA possible. Knowing when and where bad stuff happens makes life bearable and we often schedule our lives around "the crush zones".
Old 07-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Curious to know how many motor cycle fatalities a year on the 405 and 5 they are nuts!!
Well, as a former motorcyclist and lane splitter I can say that some people have more faith in their mojo than I do. I never lane split at high way speeds. SOme of the things I've seen some people do though is just plain suicidal.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #6

Garage
"Life in the Fast Lane will surely make you lose your mind"
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
Well, as a former motorcyclist and lane splitter I can say that some people have more faith in their mojo than I do. I never lane split at high way speeds. SOme of the things I've seen some people do though is just plain suicidal.
I had a friend of mine many years ago (a street bike rider) tell me "there are those that have gone down & those that are going down". You can tell the type of rider you are seeing with that that in mind.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
FYI Every January 1 many of the Porsche clubs, as well as NARPs, have drives on the famed Mullhuland Hwy between Topanga and Camarilo. Done this many years and seen some fantastic P-cars as well as other vintage cars.
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Welcome to the Jungle.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Lover of all things bacon

For the road less travelled, head over to Pasadena and go up CA-2 "Angeles Crest Highway". You get into some beautiful scenery and curvey roads. And if you get hungry, a stop at Newcombs Ranch is a nice respite.

2005 Boxster S
2003 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
LesMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #11

Garage
Spent many years living right off the 101/405 interchange (Encino), and right after college near the 5/2 and 5/101/110 nightmares (Los Feliz), and it is the one thing I don't miss about California.

However, the drive up the coast on HWY 1, up Highway 2, or a cruise on the Ortega HWY are truly things to cherrish.

Of course I really miss In-N-Out Burger too.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #12

My life is dominated by PCH from Malibu to the 10 / 405 interchange. I am quite accomplished at lowspeed take-offs....

teleski is offline   Reply With Quote