986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   LA Traffic!!!!AAAH (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47132-la-traffic-aaah.html)

jsceash 07-17-2013 04:09 PM

LA Traffic!!!!AAAH

Just Spent a week in LA and now I know why there are road rage deaths. The only time I really wished I had My Boxster the whole week was coming back from the coast highway over Topanga Canyon Road. I may have to go Back rent a P-car and try it.

AKnowles 07-17-2013 04:17 PM

Funny! Having just returned from a vacation up 101 to 1 to Montery I understand your pain. On the good news, almost every passing lane I just dropped in in to third (into 2nd once) and zipped around the slow pokes. It was killing me to be doing 35 in a 55 zone.

Only scared the wife once. The time I dropped it into 2nd and hit 90+ (might have been higher as I stopped looking at the speedometer), but it was a long straightaway and I merged with plenty of room to spare. It is so much nicer to cruise up the 1 without traffic. Nice curves. Good scenery. and Cool. Averaged 60~70 vs. the 115 where I live in Palm Desert.

jsceash 07-17-2013 04:22 PM

Curious to know how many motor cycle fatalities a year on the 405 and 5 they are nuts!!

Topless 07-17-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 352398)
Just Spent a week in LA and now I know why there are road rage deaths. The only time I really wished I had My Boxster the whole week was coming back from the coast highway over Topanga Canyon Road. I may have to go Back rent a P-car and try it.

Welcome to our crazy little world. As with most places, local knowledge does make the roads in LA possible. Knowing when and where bad stuff happens makes life bearable and we often schedule our lives around "the crush zones".

AKnowles 07-17-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 352404)
Curious to know how many motor cycle fatalities a year on the 405 and 5 they are nuts!!

Well, as a former motorcyclist and lane splitter I can say that some people have more faith in their mojo than I do. :) I never lane split at high way speeds. SOme of the things I've seen some people do though is just plain suicidal.

BYprodriver 07-17-2013 05:17 PM

"Life in the Fast Lane will surely make you lose your mind" :eek:

Bryan topping 07-17-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKnowles (Post 352408)
Well, as a former motorcyclist and lane splitter I can say that some people have more faith in their mojo than I do. :) I never lane split at high way speeds. SOme of the things I've seen some people do though is just plain suicidal.

I had a friend of mine many years ago (a street bike rider) tell me "there are those that have gone down & those that are going down". You can tell the type of rider you are seeing with that that in mind.

jim_hoyland 07-18-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 352398)

FYI Every January 1 many of the Porsche clubs, as well as NARPs, have drives on the famed Mullhuland Hwy between Topanga and Camarilo. Done this many years and seen some fantastic P-cars as well as other vintage cars.

thstone 07-18-2013 10:23 AM

Welcome to the Jungle.

LesMurray 07-18-2013 11:27 AM

For the road less travelled, head over to Pasadena and go up CA-2 "Angeles Crest Highway". You get into some beautiful scenery and curvey roads. And if you get hungry, a stop at Newcombs Ranch is a nice respite.

Coffinhunter 07-18-2013 12:06 PM

Spent many years living right off the 101/405 interchange (Encino), and right after college near the 5/2 and 5/101/110 nightmares (Los Feliz), and it is the one thing I don't miss about California.

However, the drive up the coast on HWY 1, up Highway 2, or a cruise on the Ortega HWY are truly things to cherrish.

Of course I really miss In-N-Out Burger too.

teleski 07-18-2013 12:26 PM

My life is dominated by PCH from Malibu to the 10 / 405 interchange. I am quite accomplished at lowspeed take-offs....