Thread: Suspension Work
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
IMACMAN

Suspension Work

Hello All, I've put a few posts up on various topics and I'm always amazed by the response, this forum is the best thing next to owning a 986 it self!...lol

Last year I had a new set of Bilstien shocks installed on the rear ( Blown rear Passenger shock ) solved that loud knock over bumps. I also replaced the squeeky CV boot arms ( I forget what they are called) I had the grease injected into the old ones while waiting for the replacements to show up, I'm thinking I may need spme more work on the rear and need to know, based on the current performance, what I need done. he roads up here in Newfoundland are pretty rough in spots, and it can take the enjoyment out of the ride so I'm looking to optimize it.

1999, 986, 70K

MY SYMPTOMS: when I'm making a turn on an intersection at slow speeds I'm getting alot of bounce and left to right roll... ( sometimes I look like one of those toys with the spring for a neck that bobbles back & forth ...lol... true! ) Although the ride is pretty smooth over typical bumps & road undulations on slightly more serious road bumps & drops in the pavement it gets pretty annoying. Also, the car ( over all ) doesn't hug the curves as well as is use to... it seems to want to slip out with inertia...if that makes sense? Last year I also had the front wheel bearings replaced... that made a world of difference...the car went from a pretty good ride ( up front ) to an amazingly smooth ride after the bearings...so I'm wondering if the rear bearings may be playing a role in the ride, noises, and cornering performance.

MY QUESTION: what part(s) in the suspension should I have looked at for replacement? if needed... or could it be a case of just needing everything tightened up back there? If so what?.. The Bilstiens were yellow, and about $500+ each... not sure of the model of them ie.... are they adjustable?..and could this be the issue?

As always, I appreciate any and all input and advice you guys can offer : )

Cheers

Paul

Imacman

Newfoundland Canada

Ps:... I wasn't sure where to post this on here, if there is a better or more appropriate are of the forum for this, can someone let me know.
: )
IMACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote