Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #21

Garage
where do I find visor delete kit?
they are useless anyway

Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #22

@Bird- yes I did this for one of my mine, works fine, takes a little persuasion but the new plastic easily tolerates the bending force.
Funny thing is, mine was doing fine until I read about this problem on 986 forum, went to inspect mine more closely and busted the thing!
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #23

@BrokenLinkage - Thanks!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #24

Ok, verified.

I purchased a non-illuminated visor mirror assembly from Pelican and the flapper (mirror cover) is physically identical to the illuminated one (including the tab that actuates the lights). The warning sticker is slightly different (says the same thing just in a different format).

I had to cut one of the pivot pins on the new assembly to remove the flapper after I wasn't able to muscle it off. Installation of the new flapper was simple - I just set it flat over the mirror and pushed down over the pivot pins - it snapped right in.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
what drives me crazy is that the visor does not swing to the side position. Can't block the sun from the side
LOL, you are driving a convertible!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
Ok, verified.

I purchased a non-illuminated visor mirror assembly from Pelican and the flapper (mirror cover) is physically identical to the illuminated one (including the tab that actuates the lights). The warning sticker is slightly different (says the same thing just in a different format).

I had to cut one of the pivot pins on the new assembly to remove the flapper after I wasn't able to muscle it off. Installation of the new flapper was simple - I just set it flat over the mirror and pushed down over the pivot pins - it snapped right in.
How much did you pay for it? Do you have a part number?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
How much did you pay for it? Do you have a part number?
The part number from Pelican was: OEM-9867319010101C (listed in the parts catalog as 986 731 901 01 and 01C indicates the color is black) and it cost $36.50 plus shipping.

Kinda pricey for just a cover, but then when you consider that it's for the whole non-illuminated mirror assembly (housing and flapper) I guess it's not too bad.

If you don't care about illumination or if either of the pivots (part of the housing assembly) broke off, you can remove the original illuminated housing (and either remove or cap off the red and black wires that provide power to the mirror lights) and install the non illuminated one in it's place. The external dimensions are the same but the internal design of the housings are different - you can't swap the lights over to the non-illuminated housing.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #28

I want my original illuminated mirror, is the cover you referenced a direct swap?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
LOL, you are driving a convertible!
I know, but the height would still be perfect it swang out to the side, just to block the morning sun on the way into town each day. Other convertibles have it.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
I want my original illuminated mirror, is the cover you referenced a direct swap?
Yes, at least it was on my 2001 S.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #31

I have 2 broken visor covers and a 3D Printer so I will eventually try printing out a pair once I create the 3D model.

While I am at it I may as well Emboss "Porsche" or "Boxster" on those visor mirror covers as well and fix the problem
that causes them to break in the first place.

Perhaps a couple tiny strong Neodium magnets instead of plastic hinge pins/sockets.

Hmmm, I just reread that above sentence and realized that I could just replace the hinge with magnets and
use the original broken flaps and fix them with about 5 minutes of dremel/glue work... eureka!!!

Off to order some tiny Neodium magnets.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 01-15-2014 at 09:43 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #32
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I have 2 broken visor covers and a 3D Printer so I will eventually try printing out a pair once I create the 3D model.

While I am at it I may as well Emboss "Porsche" or "Boxster" on those visor mirror covers as well and fix the problem
that causes them to break in the first place.

Perhaps a couple tiny strong Neodium magnets instead of plastic hinge pins/sockets.

Hmmm, I just reread that above sentence and realized that I could just replace the hinge with magnets and
use the original broken flaps and fix them with about 5 minutes of dremel/glue work... eureka!!!

Off to order some tiny Neodium magnets.
I did the magnet thing last week. Works great and no more dangling flap! I'll get some pics at some point.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I did the magnet thing last week. Works great and no more dangling flap! I'll get some pics at some point.
What sort of glue did you use to attach them to the plastic?

They are so shinny I'm thinking they need the glue side sanded a bit first.

I'm going to use the magnets to replace the actual hinge on the mirror cover and then one to hold the mirror cover shut.

This way if you accidentally Jam the flap it will just fall off instead of breaking the hinges again.

----------------------------------------------------------

FYI: I also found this

Visor Mirror Flap Won't Stay Up

Diagnostic: The sun visor mirror flap won't stay up.

Cause: Adhesive loosened on metal clips that provide friction on the hinges of the mirror flap.

Details: When the adhesive loosens, the clips slide out of two holes in the assembly and no longer provide the friction necessary to hold up the flap.

Time in Shop: Five minutes

Repair Instructions: For the dealer to fix them under warranty they need to follow the directions in the Porsche technical bulletin labeled Improved Sun Visor Mirror Cover [grp6 1/98 6823 5/14/98].

For you to fix them, you need to pop the mirror encasement out of the sun visor. There are four plastic lips that hold it in place. Take a small screwdriver and carefully pry the mirror encasement from the sun visor. It should just pop out.

Once you pop the mirror encasement out of the visor, you should find two U-shaped clips. Be careful as the metal clips may fly when you remove the mirror encasement from the visor. If you don't find two, shake the visor around. If you hear something moving, it is likely the clip stuck in the innards of the plastic of the visor. Keep shaking it around until they fall out.

Take the metal clips and place a drop or two of super glue on them. Force the clips back into the holes where they belong with the tapered part of the clip with the "nubs" on it back into the hole and the flat part against the mirror cover hinge. You can use vise-grips to gently hold the clips in place for about five minutes until the super glue dries. You should probably protect the visor from the vise grips with something so it doesn't leave marks.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #34
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Well, I have some experience using neo mags to keep hatches closed from my days of RC flying. I've never found an adhesive that will adequately hold them in place against their own strength. I'll have to get some pics to clarify, but basically I used a dremel with a routing type bit to carefully thin the plastic on the back side so that the magnet could be mounted behind the plastic. You have to get the plastic fairly thin in order for the magnetic force to hold, but it was pretty simple.

I'll get some pics ASAP. (helping my gf move this week...argh!)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #35

Garage
No to hijack or anything, buy do you guys know where I could find the sun visor delete parts? All my searches came up empty.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
No to hijack or anything, buy do you guys know where I could find the sun visor delete parts? All my searches came up empty.
Sorry, I haven't seen anything either.